Putting a turbo on 1HZ?

hey guys was just really curious what are some peoples thoughts on putting a turbo on my 1HZ 75 series, its done 300,000ks and im only putting one on there for some extra power and to be able to actually pull up hills a bit quicker. i love my ute and plan on having it for a while.

just wondering what advice you have in the way of precautions and such?

Batts88

Not saying people here hav'nt got good advice but Maybe see if you can find a landcruiser forum then you'll get all the answers and more I am on a patrol site which is great with technical advice

muc the truck

There was a cruiser in darwin with a 3.9 ltre isuzu turbo on it with a home made manifold from steam pipe bends and a laser cut manifold plate same as stock manifold gasket.

it made a big difference with no injection pump mods at all.

The 1hz was not designed for a turbo, however there are many examples traveling around the country having no probs whatso ever.

The extra boost provided by the turbo can result in cracked pistons, blocks and heads, one way of preventing this from happening is to fit the turbo pistons, conrods and bearings to strenghten the bottom end from the hdt factory turbo motor.

A lot of 1hz owners ditch the ol hz and replace them with the hdtft or hdtfte factory turbo motors but these are up would of 9k just for the engine.
Check out lcool, theres a fairly indepth thread titled should i turbo my 1hz, some good info there.

My 100 series has the 1hz with turbo and was great until the turbo let go and caused some engine damage, im going down the turbo kit rebuilt as i can afford a transplant.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,
Brian.

My research and future setup

Hi Cruiserboy93,

Sorry for the long reply, but it’s the biggest decision a 1HZ owner will have to make. I know it was for me. I’m in a similar boat, I have a non-turboed 1HZ in my 1999 105 series LC. I can’t talk from experience but I can share with you the research I’ve done, as I'm currently booked in to get a turbo/intercooler setup on my LC after a lot of thought and research. It’s worth speaking to an expert on diesel engines to clarify any of my thoughts and that of any others.

I intentionally bought the 105 series 6 years ago for the live axle and always intended on turboing it. However after purchasing my LC and looking deeper into turboing the 1HZ’s I was a little worried about reliability and got scared off a bit.

I asked myself, do I really need it? My answer was no. It was quite capable off road and it was only the overtaking at 100km/hr and long steep hills that it struggled with. So I decided to focus on other more important mods and keep the reliability.

Well it’s 6 years later and I love my LC but I'm fed up with the lack of power and it's either buy a new truck or upgrade this one! I’ve learnt to live with being behind some slow coach on the highway, to finally come to an overtaking lane on a hill where I can’t pass him… Frustrating!

After looking around at other 4x4's I couldn't find anything that I liked as much as a whole truck and it was going to be very expensive in comparison, especially after getting a new truck to level mine is with all the mods. I use it for touring, weekenders, towing, work, camping, fishing and an every dayer. It’s perfect for my needs except for the power. Maybe I’m biased and have developed a bond with it, but I couldn’t find an acceptable replacement.
So after a lot of research on the net and countless forums, it came down to 2 options:
1. 1HD-FTE engine conversion, which is the better option if money is no question, or
2. Turbo the 1HZ.

I searched high and low for a 1HD-FTE, ringing countless wreckers and everyone laughed and said good luck. There are people out there that just grab them before they come available. I finally found one with the wiring harness for $9500 with 108,000kms. Then it would have cost another $3500 to install, a toal of $13000 at best. PM me if you want this as it's still available.

I decided not to go with option 1 because I've heard enough success stories with a turbo on a 1HZ. The main problem people have with blown pistons is with bad tuning, too high a boost and hot air mixing with fuel which result in inefficient combustion and high exhaust temps.

I'm going to leave no stone unturned when installing this turbo. I've contacted Cross Country 4X4, who are as good as any when it comes to 4X4 diesel engine mods. After plenty of discussions with the guys there, my setup will be:
1. A modified CT26 turbo
2. Cross Country 4x4 custom design Air to Air top mount intercooler
3. 3" S/Steel exhaust
4. Boost Compensator
5. EGT.

Cross country have modified the factory Toyota CT26 turbo so it starts spooling up around 1200 rpm, with serious boost around 1500 rpm which will improve the low down power and torque of the 1HZ over most other turbos.

The intercooler is HUGE, the bonnet scoop is going to be 700mm wide. It's going to have 2 thermal fans, 1 will run all the time and the other will be hooked up to a thermal switch, so if the inlet air gets above 50 degC the second one will kick in. Intercooler types is another topic for discussion. They all have their pros and cons so if you want an intercooled setup decide based on your needs. Check out the Cross Country 4X4 website, they have an article on Top Mount vs Front Mount vs Water to Air.

With the exhaust, if you’re pumping more air in you need to get it out.

The boost compensator allows accurate tuning throughout the whole rev range. Without the boost compensator the fuel pump has to be tuned at an average, which results in too much fuel being supplied at low revs (resulting in black smoke) and not enough at high revs (resulting in loss of power). It’s not a common inclusion when people turbo the 1HZ, so I haven’t read any posts from anyone who has done this and the difference it makes, but it makes sense to me. I’ve heard people add them when towing caravans and heavy loads.

EGT allows you to monitor the exhausts temp, which is a must have. You should drive your car to the EGT. Lots of people out there have different ideas about what a safe temp is for the 1HZ, ranging from 450 degC - 750 degC. Running the above setup at 12psi, I've been assured my temps around town should be under 400. Under heavy load for extended periods I'd be unlucky to see 500. Time will tell... From what I’ve read and what I’ve heard from the experts a safe temp to peak at when going up some big hill would be around 550, so if I get above this, I'll be backing off. And if I’m running above 450 under no load I’ll be disappointed.

The fact your 1HZ has done 300k shouldn't be a problem as they are good for a lot more than that. Depending on how it's been treated over its life will be the bigger factor (i.e. regular servicing and how it’s been driven). It may pay to get a compression test on the motor if you're worried that it's not up for a turbo. There may be other tests worthwhile doing too before forking out all that money.

The 1HZ wasn't designed for a turbo, but it's a tough reliable engine, so with good tuning and sensible driving I think you'll be right.

This whole setup is going to cost around 8k fully installed and dyno tuned. Which may sound expensive, but from the way I’m approaching it, it’s the cheapest way. It’s going to be at least 5k less than a 1HD-FTE conversion and it will output more power than a stock one. I should get a reliable 100kw approx. at the wheels. If the EGT stays well within my allowable tolerance after a few trips, I might get it re-tuned at 14psi. One step at a time though.

I plan on making a YouTube video with my conversion. It will have a before and after video of going up a long steep hill and a before and after video overtaking at high speed. I’m going to get a print out of the dyno results too. I’m doing this so I can show people the difference in power while keeping an eye on the EGT. This is something I haven’t been able to find anywhere. I’m hoping to have it all installed before Easter weekend, as they are quite busy and are making the intercooler as I type. If you want to wait and see the results before making up your mind I’ll be posting a link on this forum for other people in our boat.

I’m not after any miracles, just after a more driveable truck. My LC has done 170,000kms and I’d be happy if I could get 300,000 more. If I still can't find truck I like as much as this one when the engine dies, I’ll do an engine conversion.

I am super excited about this upgrade and I seriously can't wait :D:D:D

It would be interesting to see what other people think of my future setup.

My 100 series has the 1hz with turbo and was great until the turbo let go and caused some engine damage, im going down the turbo kit rebuilt as i can afford a transplant.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,
Brian.
Hey Brian,

What damage did the turbo do to you 1HZ and why?

Cheers
Shane

Hey Brian,

What damage did the turbo do to you 1HZ and why?

Cheers
Shane
Hi Shane, the extent of engine damage is still not fully known at this stage mate.
It still runs but like a hairy goat, I've spoke to several quite experienced blokes and had two of these guy's check it out while running and there certin it's got definite head damage, bent valve or 2 most likely and gasket.
The bottom end well thats unknown until the head comes off.
An oil seal let go in the turbo dumping around 1. 5 lts of oil thru the engine, thankfully we managed to shut it down before it scavaged to much oil, it did rev out to 4500 rpm but atleast it did shut down.

As im keeping the vehicle iv decided to rebuild the engine using the turbo kit from the hdt to ensure reliability and longjevity.
Just need to save up some more $$$$.

Good luck with your turbo project, would'nt mind checkin out your 105 oneday either.

Cheers,
Brian.

Ouch... Hence the signature hey! I wondered about that.

Sorry to hear about the 105, good thing your 80 is still rockin though.

I wouldn't mind checking out your rig one of these days too. I'll see you on one of the planned trips soon enough.

Cheers

Ouch... Hence the signature hey! I wondered about that.

Sorry to hear about the 105, good thing your 80 is still rockin though.

I wouldn't mind checking out your rig one of these days too. I'll see you on one of the planned trips soon enough.

Cheers
Yeah cool mate, look foward to it.

Hi, just been reading about turboing a 1hz and some people are worried about it,
I put a ct26 turbo front mount intercooler and a 3'' exhaust on my 78 series troopy with 460,000km on the clock. Use it to tow my race car Adelaide to Melbourne and back fairly offen and 4wding. Never had a problem sits on 110km towing doesnt get hot. I suggest getting dyno tuned so they can set up fuel mixture. Hi tech diesel did mine 96kw at wheels goes not bad for a big bus.

BTFIVO

Hi Cruiserboy93,

Sorry for the long reply, but it’s the biggest decision a 1HZ owner will have to make. I know it was for me. I’m in a similar boat, I have a non-turboed 1HZ in my 1999 105 series LC. I can’t talk from experience but I can share with you the research I’ve done, as I'm currently booked in to get a turbo/intercooler setup on my LC after a lot of thought and research. It’s worth speaking to an expert on diesel engines to clarify any of my thoughts and that of any others.

I intentionally bought the 105 series 6 years ago for the live axle and always intended on turboing it. However after purchasing my LC and looking deeper into turboing the 1HZ’s I was a little worried about reliability and got scared off a bit.

I asked myself, do I really need it? My answer was no. It was quite capable off road and it was only the overtaking at 100km/hr and long steep hills that it struggled with. So I decided to focus on other more important mods and keep the reliability.

Well it’s 6 years later and I love my LC but I'm fed up with the lack of power and it's either buy a new truck or upgrade this one! I’ve learnt to live with being behind some slow coach on the highway, to finally come to an overtaking lane on a hill where I can’t pass him… Frustrating!

After looking around at other 4x4's I couldn't find anything that I liked as much as a whole truck and it was going to be very expensive in comparison, especially after getting a new truck to level mine is with all the mods. I use it for touring, weekenders, towing, work, camping, fishing and an every dayer. It’s perfect for my needs except for the power. Maybe I’m biased and have developed a bond with it, but I couldn’t find an acceptable replacement.
So after a lot of research on the net and countless forums, it came down to 2 options:
1. 1HD-FTE engine conversion, which is the better option if money is no question, or
2. Turbo the 1HZ.

I searched high and low for a 1HD-FTE, ringing countless wreckers and everyone laughed and said good luck. There are people out there that just grab them before they come available. I finally found one with the wiring harness for $9500 with 108,000kms. Then it would have cost another $3500 to install, a toal of $13000 at best. PM me if you want this as it's still available.

I decided not to go with option 1 because I've heard enough success stories with a turbo on a 1HZ. The main problem people have with blown pistons is with bad tuning, too high a boost and hot air mixing with fuel which result in inefficient combustion and high exhaust temps.

I'm going to leave no stone unturned when installing this turbo. I've contacted Cross Country 4X4, who are as good as any when it comes to 4X4 diesel engine mods. After plenty of discussions with the guys there, my setup will be:
1. A modified CT26 turbo
3. 3" S/Steel exhaust
4. Boost Compensator
5. EGT.

Cross country have modified the factory Toyota CT26 turbo so it starts spooling up around 1200 rpm, with serious boost around 1500 rpm which will improve the low down power and torque of the 1HZ over most other turbos.

The intercooler is HUGE, the bonnet scoop is going to be 700mm wide. It's going to have 2 thermal fans, 1 will run all the time and the other will be hooked up to a thermal switch, so if the inlet air gets above 50 degC the second one will kick in. Intercooler types is another topic for discussion. They all have their pros and cons so if you want an intercooled setup decide based on your needs. Check out the Cross Country 4X4 website, they have an article on Top Mount vs Front Mount vs Water to Air.

The boost compensator allows accurate tuning throughout the whole rev range. Without the boost compensator the fuel pump has to be tuned at an average, which results in too much fuel being supplied at low revs (resulting in black smoke) and not enough at high revs (resulting in loss of power). It’s not a common inclusion when people turbo the 1HZ, so I haven’t read any posts from anyone who has done this and the difference it makes, but it makes sense to me. I’ve heard people add them when towing caravans and heavy loads.

EGT allows you to monitor the exhausts temp, which is a must have. You should drive your car to the EGT. Lots of people out there have different ideas about what a safe temp is for the 1HZ, ranging from 450 degC - 750 degC. Running the above setup at 12psi, I've been assured my temps around town should be under 400. Under heavy load for extended periods I'd be unlucky to see 500. Time will tell... From what I’ve read and what I’ve heard from the experts a safe temp to peak at when going up some big hill would be around 550, so if I get above this, I'll be backing off. And if I’m running above 450 under no load I’ll be disappointed.

The fact your 1HZ has done 300k shouldn't be a problem as they are good for a lot more than that. Depending on how it's been treated over its life will be the bigger factor (i.e. regular servicing and how it’s been driven). It may pay to get a compression test on the motor if you're worried that it's not up for a turbo. There may be other tests worthwhile doing too before forking out all that money.

The 1HZ wasn't designed for a turbo, but it's a tough reliable engine, so with good tuning and sensible driving I think you'll be right.

This whole setup is going to cost around 8k fully installed and dyno tuned. Which may sound expensive, but from the way I’m approaching it, it’s the cheapest way. It’s going to be at least 5k less than a 1HD-FTE conversion and it will output more power than a stock one. I should get a reliable 100kw approx. at the wheels. If the EGT stays well within my allowable tolerance after a few trips, I might get it re-tuned at 14psi. One step at a time though.

I plan on making a YouTube video with my conversion. It will have a before and after video of going up a long steep hill and a before and after video overtaking at high speed. I’m going to get a print out of the dyno results too. I’m doing this so I can show people the difference in power while keeping an eye on the EGT. This is something I haven’t been able to find anywhere. I’m hoping to have it all installed before Easter weekend, as they are quite busy and are making the intercooler as I type. If you want to wait and see the results before making up your mind I’ll be posting a link on this forum for other people in our boat.

I’m not after any miracles, just after a more driveable truck. My LC has done 170,000kms and I’d be happy if I could get 300,000 more. If I still can't find truck I like as much as this one when the engine dies, I’ll do an engine conversion.

How did the setup go?

If your thinking about turboing your 1hz, then do a lot of careful reading! Brother in laws just cracked all six pistons, and by all accounts it becoming quite common. I'm not saying don't, just do your research.

........ or sell it and by a real 4wd;):p

Yeah, would love a VDJ78R Troopy.
Other than that, I was considering a full turbo kitout from MMP, including matched injectors and 12mm compensated pump to help try aim for the 24:1 AFR's.
Yeah the brother in laws was a full safari kit, front mount cooler, compensated pump, low boost etc still didn't help! They're now spending at least 15 k on a 1hd fte swap doing it themselves! 8k for a wrecked 100 series which rolled. Bought sight unseen:confused:. A lot of money if it goes bad.

Hi Cruiserboy93,

2. Turbo the 1HZ.

1. A modified CT26 turbo
3. 3" S/Steel exhaust
4. Boost Compensator
5. EGT.

Hi Brian,

I’m writing from Canada, couldn’t help not reading your complete and very well written plans and experience with your LC Turbo mods. You’re writout is THE best I’ve seen anywhere on line, thank you.

I looked and tried to find the final result on your turbo mod on this forum but couldn’t find it, I’m not sure if you did make that YouTube video you mentioned in 2013?

Unfortunately in Canada we don’t have all the beautiful Landcruiser and options as you guys do in beautiful Australia or even in Europe.

But I’ve found a very nice 2001 HZJ79 with only original 100,000 KM on it in Germany which I’m buying next week and importing to Canada.

Obviously unfortunately this HZJ79 doesn’t have the turbo

I’ve read that this model of LC is very slow for long trips up hills which I’m actually going to use it for. I’ve owned several 80 series and 100 series which were obviously very different but always wanted the 79 series and can’t let go off of this one due to superb condition.

I’ve been thinking of getting all the turbo mod parts from Germany and have them installed here in Canada if I can find the right shop, but I’m really not sure if this is all a good idea? Did you finally have good experiences acne and were you happy with that Turbo mod? Now that almost 6 years has passed?

I would appreciate your respond.
All the best,
Ben

Hi Cruiserboy93,

2. Turbo the 1HZ.

1. A modified CT26 turbo
3. 3" S/Steel exhaust
4. Boost Compensator
5. EGT.

Sorry, I meant Tnx Shane, got names mixed up

Can re gearing fix this?
Like if you want to keep the car for a long time it would last longer without a turbo/more things to go wrong in the Bush to?
The sisters husband has a 4.2L non turbo and it does fine on tracks due to low gearing and lockers it just crawls up anything, such good cars them 80s lol

Both my partner and i have 1hz turbo conversions. Tuned right you will have no problems. My partners 105 has the dts conversion. My 2001 hzj79r has a ct26, using all factory parts, a 3inch exhaust. All parts were under $2000. My ute has over 300k on the clock, Susan's has ticked over 220k. Good luck with the build

shanegtr

I'd personally look at an engine swap with a 1hd-t, would drop in where the 1hz was with minimal fuss. Forget looking for a 1hd-ft as they where only available for a limited number of years so reasonably rare, the 1hd-fte is essentially the same engine however and is a lot more common.
Cracked pistons on turbo'd 1hz's seem a lot more common on the later engines as I believe they ran a light piston compared to the earlier engines. The 1hz can develop cracks in the pre combustion chambers in the head which is just down to the design of the engine - the hd-t,ft and fte engines don't have this problem as they are direct injection so have the pre combustion chamber essentially in the piston

Berrima diesel have been doing turbo installs for over 30 years. They swear by turbos on 1hz if done correctly. You blow up any motor of you want. Sick to death of this argument. So many "engine builders" saying it's a waste of time. It is not a waste of time, it's a proven thing if its tuned correctly and using a quality turbo on a healthy engine.