Purchasing new 79 series (can't wait) - Tray and Canopy advice..

jdmax

Hi All,

I'm joining the Toyota and specifically, the 79 series family, cannot wait to get my hands on the new rig! This will be my ultimate setup but of course, I have a limited budget.

I want to get some opinions.. The OEM tray costs around $4.8k, should I put that 4.8k into a custom tray and canopy instead or get the OEM and fit a canopy to it? My budget is around 10k, any advice? Are there any particular fabricators in the Melbourne area anyone recommends? I'm fairly new to the custom canopy market, so a little unfamiliar oif what I need to cater for..

Cheers,
James

CaptainBanana

Boss aluminium quoted me something like seven-and-a-half grand for a tray and basic canopy which is a hell of a lot better than just another overpriced Toyota accessory. There are quite a few quality manufacturers around but there are far far far more straight from China manufacturers around so pick wisely.

G_ute

I have an OEM Toyota steel tray on mine (which in my case is made in Australia by 'Triple M Truck Bodies')
Its a quality unit but having seen some very nice custom trays out there I would go custom next time, with matching tool boxes.
There are quite a few custom fabricators around now.
One thing I want to add to mine is more tie down points on the floor of the tray, for cargo cases, etc.

jdmax

Guys, thanks a lot for all the responses, all have given me something to research into. I'll keep you guys posted on what I choose and will upload some pics once the build is done. Cheers

jdmax

Hi Guys,

So I've chosen my canopy. I'm still a bit hung up on the design (I know it's personal preference). Just wanted a bit of advice on whether (for weight distribution) it's better to go with a 3/4 canopy if I'm hanging my spare off the back?

Here's the design, any feedback is welcome:

1605664489946.png

With the design of the roof rack I'm a bit meh about, was considering keeping it the same length as the canopy instead? I'm not going to put a RTT on it, I'll just attch things like maxtracs, solar panel, awnings etc.

If threre's anything else you think I should consider please let me know. Very new to these types of canopies.

Cheers,
James

Aaron Schubert

I would shorten the roof rack, and make it as light as needed to do what you need it to.

Any reason why you don't want the spare under the vehicle?

You'll have a hard time bending a 79 chassis providing you load it and drive sensibly. What jerry are you going to run? Can you go for a long range tank/headboard tank instead?

Is it going on a tray? Will you actually use the jackoff arrangement? You pay a lot for them, and the legs are heavy and awkward to store, and trying to set the suspension up so it works well in both directions isn't so easy

Aaron

boobook

It looks very nice.

I would consider putting the spare at the front because of the weight if you can.

jdmax

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for those points.

The entire canopy including the roof rack is made out of aluminum, will definitely shorten the roof rack.

There's no reason why I wouldn't have it under the tray, doesn't really affect my clearance, I was actually thinking of removing the spare wheel holder from the design because I know you shouldn't be putting that kind of weight at the very back.

I wanted to use 20ltr jerries on the back to take extra water until I get around to installing an undertray water tank. I would then probably use it for fuel until I have the need to upgrade to a long-range fuel tank, at the moment 130ltr tank will do nicely.

The canopy is going on the OEM Toyota heavy-duty steel tray. I'm getting a GVM upgrade so it is capable of carrying 4.2 tonnes but I do want to keep it as lightweight as possible (within my budget). The reason I wanted a jack-off canopy is purely so I can use it as a ute when I'm not out exploring. I'll be heading mostly to the high country, once a month at least.

If I keep the spare under the tray, shorten the roof rack, do you think I'll have any troubles going full-length canopy vs. 3/4 talking from an offroading perspective? If I get rid of the spare I'll probably put another jerry can holder in its place.

I would shorten the roof rack, and make it as light as needed to do what you need it to.

Any reason why you don't want the spare under the vehicle?

You'll have a hard time bending a 79 chassis providing you load it and drive sensibly. What jerry are you going to run? Can you go for a long range tank/headboard tank instead?

Is it going on a tray? Will you actually use the jackoff arrangement? You pay a lot for them, and the legs are heavy and awkward to store, and trying to set the suspension up so it works well in both directions isn't so easy

Aaron

Last edited:

jdmax

It looks very nice.

I would consider putting the spare at the front because of the weight if you can.

Hi mate, thanks.

Yeah I was thinking of putting it against the headboard or inside the canopy against the headboard end, but if it's fine under the tray then I'll leave it there for the time being. I can always modify the inside of the canopy at a later date and mount the wheel there if needed.

Maxy

I purchased a jack off canopy as well about 2 years ago. Never been off the ute in that time and I was certain I will have it on and off regularly. Leg jack are heavy (would not like to take them away). I'm lucky my son has a steel tray ute if needed. I also got a fridge partition and shelf built into the canopy also. Good luck with your build. Best thing I done. Very convenient for camping and touring (caravanning). Cheers Craig

G_ute

I have similar legs on my Trayon camper and they are a PITA.
One day I may look at creating a simple crane to lift it off, perhaps utilising the winch on the ute and various pulleys.
Anyone done that?
I need the ute tray to be free for other loads, most of the time.

Aaron Schubert

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for those points.

The entire canopy including the roof rack is made out of aluminum, will definitely shorten the roof rack.

There's no reason why I wouldn't have it under the tray, doesn't really affect my clearance, I was actually thinking of removing the spare wheel holder from the design because I know you shouldn't be putting that kind of weight at the very back.

I wanted to use 20ltr jerries on the back to take extra water until I get around to installing an undertray water tank. I would then probably use it for fuel until I have the need to upgrade to a long-range fuel tank, at the moment 130ltr tank will do nicely.

The canopy is going on the OEM Toyota heavy-duty steel tray. I'm getting a GVM upgrade so it is capable of carrying 4.2 tonnes but I do want to keep it as lightweight as possible (within my budget). The reason I wanted a jack-off canopy is purely so I can use it as a ute when I'm not out exploring. I'll be heading mostly to the high country, once a month at least.

If I keep the spare under the tray, shorten the roof rack, do you think I'll have any troubles going full-length canopy vs. 3/4 talking from an offroading perspective? If I get rid of the spare I'll probably put another jerry can holder in its place.

I would be doing everything you can to keep the weight down, and forward. Stick the spare underneath, get a water tank under the tray as far forward as possible, (easily able to fit 50L) and you'll be OK with a full length canopy. Ultimately it depends how much storage you want.

I would also consider not using a steel tray - ask Toyota what one weighs, and get a price on a heavy duty aluminium one (aftermarket too?). Steel is ridiculously heavy, for minimal benefit unless you are flogging it around as a farm ute

All the best

jdmax

I would be doing everything you can to keep the weight down, and forward. Stick the spare underneath, get a water tank under the tray as far forward as possible, (easily able to fit 50L) and you'll be OK with a full length canopy. Ultimately it depends how much storage you want.

I would also consider not using a steel tray - ask Toyota what one weighs, and get a price on a heavy duty aluminium one (aftermarket too?). Steel is ridiculously heavy, for minimal benefit unless you are flogging it around as a farm ute

All the best

Thanks again Aaron for all the info, very much appreciated.

I will be going with your recommendations, makes a lot of sense. However, I can't do much about the steel tray as it's the only type of tray that can be painted, I'll see how it goes for the time being, if I do have any issues I'll probably look at changing that over to a custom tray later down the track. If I had the spare cash I'd go a full Norweld setup!! It's arriving late December, will update the thread with pictures of the final setup.

Cheers,
James

jdmax

I purchased a jack off canopy as well about 2 years ago. Never been off the ute in that time and I was certain I will have it on and off regularly. Leg jack are heavy (would not like to take them away). I'm lucky my son has a steel tray ute if needed. I also got a fridge partition and shelf built into the canopy also. Good luck with your build. Best thing I done. Very convenient for camping and touring (caravanning). Cheers Craig

Hi mate, yeah time will tell, but my current ute is used a ute regularly, so I based my decision off that. They are super convenient, I'll be making mods to it continually, looking forward to the first trip in it.

Cheers,
James

jdmax

One day I may look at creating a simple crane to lift it off, perhaps utilising the winch on the ute and various pulleys.
Anyone done that?

Good idea using the winch, I'm sure it could easily be done. I've never used the legs before, just seen reviews and videos online which appear to be fairly simple and painless to use, but videos can be deceiving I guess.

Albynsw

Anyone done that?

I have a chain block and a set of four way chains that I lift my canopy off with and put it on a trolley for storage

Albynsw

I made my tray only 1700 long and initially used my custom canopy from my Hilux
AD7E9928-D033-46F6-A06D-822A75F63817.jpeg

We then went from touring with up to five back to just the wife and I so to reduce weight changed to this being only 1200 long

B5D6E4C4-C5F5-48C9-B9B7-2EF02BB94E22.jpeg

I did this because we didn’t need all the extra room anymore and to get the weight forward with the spare at the headboard, I initially setup for two spares but now only carry one.

I have decided to change again and have just bought a 1500mm long canopy that will sit right up the front of the tray and my spare will sit at the back but still on the tray.
My main motivation to doing this was because it is easier and lighter to support my RTT with this setup and the weight gain between the two canopies is bugger all.

If you have the option with your tray manufacturer get the whale tail locks instead of the T locks. They are a much nicer product and have a compression action against your rubber seal when you close them

79 Cruiser

I originally put my spare up against the head board in mine but it takes up to much room. It's now on the back exterior, mine is specifically reinforced for it. I've done lots of trips including the Madigan and had no issues.