Puncture Repair

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ok, so this question is probably born out of laziness:eek:
Have a good puncture repair kit(Never used it),but also have a screw in one of the outside lugs of one of my BFG's. Just wondering if I need to remove the wheel to repair it or can it be done while still on the vehicle.??
Tyre is fine and still fully inflated, just figured the screw should probably come out now.

Last edited:

my4B

I would give it a go while on the vehicle, that is the way they seem to promote the product.

Cheers

cloughcarib

I just put the jack under the axle and let the air out of the tyre(if it's not completely flat:rolleyes:). if the screw is in the lug, maybe take it out, pour soapy water on it and see if it even needs repairing.

Generally the tyre repair kits we have are said to beca temporary fix to get you mobile.

That being said, I'd say your not the first to do it, it will be a good test to see if it lasts, which think it will.

I would drive to Kmart, spend $20 let them take the wheel off, tyre off and use a permanent approved plug, they have similar to a patch on the inside as part of it, and have to be inserted from inside.

Let us know how it goes....

prawns

I've ran a few over the years and my plugs have always lasted fine just from the outside (including one for the whole life of the tyre and another that managed over 250kph when I forgot it was installed on my sports bike)

Used to work in a tyre shop and we always just used the outside plugs first and if it leaked we had a "inside" type as well (that box was still in the original shrink wrap when I left the job - 12 months later mind you. Never got used lol)

These days it's $15-20 just for a outside plug to be done by a tyre guy (just had one done) or you can buy your own kit on eBay for the same price delivered which includes the reamer. Install tool and goop and a few plugs (which I now have lol)

prawns

Ps. I should mention my experiences installing them were all with passenger cars / farm utes and my own motorbikes mind you. Cant say I ever actually repaired a 4wd tyre though before - except recently on my pajero which took x2 external plugs to stop a small gash leak but somebody else did that one for me as I had no kit

Vegetoast

I've always done it on the vehicle with the tyre inflated..I've been through 3 kits now (not all of them on my car) and never have I had a plug repaired by anyone and never has one failed on me in the last 10 years

Big Matt

I've always done it on the vehicle with the tyre inflated..I've been through 3 kits now (not all of them on my car) and never have I had a plug repaired by anyone and never has one failed on me in the last 10 years

What kits do you use mate ?

Vegetoast

I take that back, I couldnt repair an extreeme 117 between the lugs, there just wasnt any rubber there, the tyre was like 5mm thick between the lugs.

cant remember the early kits brands but the first one was from supercheap and the kit I have now is the bushranger.

anyway off to Yalwal.. have a good weekend people's!

THOR01

Banned
I agree with Jon in leaving the tyre inflated. On or off the car off is easier if you could be bother but on the track it can just as easily be done on the vehicle with a little more effort. Being a contortionist would help also.

03hilux

As an ex tyre fitter, i can tell you its easier to plug with the tyre inflated. If the screw is on the shoulder of the tyre, aim the rasp slightly inward toward the centre of the tyre. I have seen people push the plug between plies on the side wall and stuffing the tyre. Its also a good idea to check the tyre preasure on the otherside of the car while you have the compressor out.

Goin Hard

Plugs r done with the tyre off as you glue the plug itself to the inside of the tyre. The little worm style ones from super cheap etc are just add glue and push in and trim to side....which i reckon is the best way to go as you have to prepare the inside of the tyre for a mushroom style plug

prawns

In my post I was referring to "the worm" looking ones I should clarify (and we never attempted repairing sidewall punctures :) )

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks for the replies guys.
Having a few beers tonight so will leave it til the morning.
Think the first thing to do will be to remove the screw and take it from there,they are near new tyres with plenty of meat on them so it may or may not of gone right through.
I am not a tight arse trying to save $20, just never done it before and could be handy to know for the future.

highlander

i have always done my own with no drama,s but i would,nt attempt a side wall repair, thats tempting fate, just my 2 cents worth

Swaggie

Hiya Matty

I have an ARB one and its been great,Done 3 tyres now (none are mine)..There still going strong on every car....Told the owners its meant to be a temp fix...

I take the tyres off and do it...

monk2

temp fix to get out of trouble and get home, 60thou later the plug is still there and no leaks you gotta love them chep to buy and work a treat when out in the middle of no where, tankbloke put the plug in it