project jackaroo tyres air filters

jackie95petrol

This is my first 4x4 forum. I have to date been given late model 2009 and 2014 SR5 hilux's as my work vehicles which have been awesome. required no attention and fixed priced servicing mean there was no point lifting the bonnet for myself.

I have bought a Project Jackaroo 95 3.2 petrol. We decided on the Jacks as they seem to be realistic value easy enough to get parts from most wreckers. The body is in great condition. There was a decent adrad radiator installed in 2009. We are on a tight budget and are looking to use seconds and cheap options where possible.

The motor has 270k on it as is in good condition. All maintenance had been carried out.
the vehicle has road tyres on it and supports the sellers claim it was never used for 4x4ing.

We plan in the not too distance future to drop a recon engine in. We have found a company in Brisbane that pull the old engines out and replaces the new one for under 3k.

I have a couple of questions for you folk who are smarter than I.
I have found some decent 265 75 R16 tyre relatively new great tread. The car will need a couple of new tyres to pass roadworthy. The car is fitted with 245/70 r16 currently.

Can you run the 265 75s on the rear until we can find a replacement for the front?
Will this get past road worthy?

I have been told that there is an air flow restriction on the standard a1270 filter and have been recommended going to a pod filter to increase air flow and overall performance. Supercheap man told me there is no casing required for this filter just to remove current filter casing and connect to intake piping. This seamed dodgy.

Is the filter required (only a couple bucks more)?
Will it pass roadworthy with this filter?
Does it actually need a case?

thanks everyone. no doubt I will have plenty more dumb questions to throw at you later on.

lurkr

Wow ... deafening silence on the replies. I CAN say that I don't know what does or doesn't qualify as Roadworthy. For what it's worth, I drive a 2000 model Jack Petrol. Love it as a 4WD - they suck petrol like a pig tho (got the 3.5 V6 on the 2000 model) - but the engine is rock solid, and the car will cop a beating (and squeak a lot as a result :) )
Keep an eye on the transmission tho - I've had major (and expensive) work done on mine a few times - a good tranny cooler is keeping me out of the repair shop now. I'd say invest in an OBII as well, but don't think the '95 model will have one

muc the truck

This is my first 4x4 forum. I have to date been given late model 2009 and 2014 SR5 hilux's as my work vehicles which have been awesome. required no attention and fixed priced servicing mean there was no point lifting the bonnet for myself.

I have bought a Project Jackaroo 95 3.2 petrol. We decided on the Jacks as they seem to be realistic value easy enough to get parts from most wreckers. The body is in great condition. There was a decent adrad radiator installed in 2009. We are on a tight budget and are looking to use seconds and cheap options where possible.

The motor has 270k on it as is in good condition. All maintenance had been carried out.
the vehicle has road tyres on it and supports the sellers claim it was never used for 4x4ing.

We plan in the not too distance future to drop a recon engine in. We have found a company in Brisbane that pull the old engines out and replaces the new one for under 3k.

I have a couple of questions for you folk who are smarter than I.
I have found some decent 265 75 R16 tyre relatively new great tread. The car will need a couple of new tyres to pass roadworthy. The car is fitted with 245/70 r16 currently.

Can you run the 265 75s on the rear until we can find a replacement for the front?
Will this get past road worthy?

I have been told that there is an air flow restriction on the standard a1270 filter and have been recommended going to a pod filter to increase air flow and overall performance. Supercheap man told me there is no casing required for this filter just to remove current filter casing and connect to intake piping. This seamed dodgy.

Is the filter required (only a couple bucks more)?
Will it pass roadworthy with this filter?
Does it actually need a case?

thanks everyone. no doubt I will have plenty more dumb questions to throw at you later on.
there is no advantage to be had by ditching the factory air cleaner if you enter dirt roads . so retain it . There is advantage by tanking the restrictor out of the y junction on the exhaust when its time to change the pipes use a single 2.5 inch with turbo style muffler . the tyre question is a roadworthy fail right there . al tyres must be identical in size . not to mention the amount of crunched metal you could end up with if you were to venture off road and engage 4x4 with such suggested odd tyres . A good friend has one with a front locker , he is in his late 60,s and he loves following patrols and landcruiser . The jackaroo is not a bad rig. If you want good tyres use 16'' 85 series 235s , no lift ,no scrubbing . This way you retain all your suspension travel , up and down . this guy is using 255 but I have heard they scrub Planetisuzoo.com • View topic - 255/85s no lift

On a round trip of Australia inclueding all low range off road work and 4x4 treks my friend averaged 15.9 ltrs per 100 loaded to the hilt with camping gear , fridge , solar etc . I don't consider the 3.2 thirsty returning figures like that coming close to 2800kilo and tall tyres

Last edited:

havabigjuan

I never changed the type of airfilter on mine.

What I did do is modify the pipework to get the restrictions out of it, using pvc pipe.....will see if I kept pics....I also modified where it picked up air from instead of under the bonnet

dumb thing most do with pods is they leave them under the bonnet unshielded so all engine does it draw in hot air

doubt you pass a roadworthy with a pod, or miss match tyres to be honest

another thing I did was change coolant temp sensor as with mine it was stuffed causing overfuelling due to ecm thinking engine was always cold