Prescription Sunnies

Bomber2012

I’m after a new pair of prescription polarised sunnies ,I’m after a pair of quality all round specs . I need polarised sunnies as I want to use them for fishing and robust enough for day to day work . Ive had a pair of “spotters” script sunnies before that I lost after only 6 months they were good but that was a few years ago .
Interested in what you guys are using as after a little research it seems most of the popular fishing brands now offer the prescription option .

cam04

By prescription you mean generic magnification numbers? Once a professional gets the frames the spotters lenses go in the bin. I have prescription polarised graduated sunnies made up by my optometrist. Graduated takes a bit of getting used to but I wouldn’t have anything else now.

boobook

I've had a few prescription polarised ones from the optometrist, but they never seem to have the full effect of polarisation like proper sport ones. I am also looking at spotters. They do a factory prescription apparently.

Triton14

Well if your going to keep losing them dont spend to much then :oops: :rolleyes::p

I am short sighted so for fishing I just take a pair of $10 chemist glasses with me for just when I am tying knots.
If I lose them overboard I just go get another cheap pair.

Then I just have a pair of polorised sunnies but again I dont spend a great deal as anything getting sea spray on them constantly wont last to long, I just use Bunnings $15 polorised glasses for fishing & keep my good ones for driving/outings.

cam04

I've had a few prescription polarised ones from the optometrist, but they never seem to have the full effect of polarisation like proper sport ones. I am also looking at spotters. They do a factory prescription apparently.
My latest ones are the best I've had for polarisation - don't ask me what they are, but I agree, the proper spotters lenses are best for cutting through water and glare.

Bomber2012

By prescription you mean generic magnification numbers? Once a professional gets the frames the spotters lenses go in the bin. I have prescription polarised graduated sunnies made up by my optometrist. Graduated takes a bit of getting used to but I wouldn’t have anything else now.
You can give spotters a prescription and they will make up a pair of specs with their lens in them , they do cost more than standard lens and take a little while longer to get .

boobook

Ouch,

Just spoke to Spotters, a prescription pair is around $620 and non-prescription is about $320. I think my Health insurance company would tell me where to go. BTW they only do multi focal in the CR-39 plastic lens. Not sure if they are as effective with glare.

Swaggie

Ouch,

Just spoke to Spotters, a prescription pair is around $620 and non-prescription is about $320. I think my Health insurance company would tell me where to go. BTW they only do multi focal in the CR-39 plastic lens. Not sure if they are as effective with glare.
Have you looked at Oakley mate

Tonic do prescription sunglasses, I’m pretty sure he started Spotters.

Bomber2012

Ouch,

Wow they are not cheap , I didn’t pay that much for my last pair .

Ranger_Scott

Ouch,

My script pair cost just under $800... plain old dirty dog frames, but I need multifocals plus I added 'Drivewear' transistion lens which darken behind windscreen. Health fund covered just under $300, then as I'm an outdoor worker, accountant said I could claim the balance as a tax deduction!

John U

From my experience Oakley support of their product is above and beyond. Couldn't rate it higher. I've had few pairs of their prescription sunnies. Have always been good.

I've got a set of Oakley frames with some other generic prescription polarised lenses at the moment. The result is pretty good. If you can find some who does this it might be a bit cheaper than the Oakley Prescription lens package.

Bigfish1

I use specsavers. Polarised, graduated and around the $650 mark. Being prescription they are necessary. I can remember the first pair I had...way too much magnification...made small fish look like whoppers and small waves look like surf. Took them back and got them corrected. I now have 2 pairs for driving (leave a pair in either car) one pair for everyday use and a fishing pair. All about 4 year old but still do the job well. My everyday glasses need replacing every 2 years. Over $2,000. You know the worst part? I spoke to a lass working in the shop and she was a pom. She told me that she used to work for an optometrist in England. She said they paid about $30 a lens!!!!

Colly18

I use specsavers. Polarised, graduated and around the $650 mark. Being prescription they are necessary. I can remember the first pair I had...way too much magnification...made small fish look like whoppers and small waves look like surf. Took them back and got them corrected. I now have 2 pairs for driving (leave a pair in either car) one pair for everyday use and a fishing pair. All about 4 year old but still do the job well. My everyday glasses need replacing every 2 years. Over $2,000. You know the worst part? I spoke to a lass working in the shop and she was a pom. She told me that she used to work for an optometrist in England. She said they paid about $30 a lens!!!!
Yep, you can pay a lot extra for the best graduated lenses. Bi-focals from SpecSavers seem to work well for me (Although I'd rather support Optical Superstore (Australian owned business) if there was one nearby). I usually get a pair of normal bi-focals + a tinted polarised pair on a 2 for 1 price deal every few years for under $300-$400. $650 for a single pair of sunnies is a bit rich for me.

Albynsw

Situation normal. All poms move here then complain about how everything here sucks and was better in the UK. LOL
I had one doing that and I told him you must be an idiot, he said why all confused. I said only an idiot would move from a great place to live to a shit place by choice. He didn’t say another word

Last edited:

Toyasaurus

I use OPSM now tried some of the others. Mostly crap and lies.
I have to have a straight frame, 1 eye has very high mag, I use and reuse my Ray ban aviators. 5th lens replacement, Polarising.
Nothing beats a good set of titanium frames,
Except a Wolfhound pup.
I only replace the lenses every 2 yrs as the proscription changes.
4 pair`s of normal everyday glasses and 2 pair`s of safety glasses.
Found that is the cheapest way to get mine done.

Batts88

If you work outside you should be able to claim some cash back with tax if they're classed as safety perscription glasses.

Last edited: