Prado kakadu 2016 sport/comfort rocker switch

luvocean1

So I have been searching everywhere but not able find much info on this switch that I have in my kakadu...i can switch to Sport, Normal, Comfort mode. But rocking the switch to any of these position does not appear to make any change to the driving state. Am i missing something?

cam04

Grande/Kakadu has adjustable suspension settings. It should feel like a proper boat on Comf, and harden up a bit on sport.

discomatt

Quite possible the standard suspension has been removed, I have not heard or read one good long term review of the system, most remove it as soon as it has a problem

luvocean1

hhm... i purchased it as second hand and appears everything is still factory.
Either the difference is too little to notice, or it is not working.... i cannot tell any difference between sport/norm/comf settings.

boobook

Hmm, I just searched the 150 section of Lcool, I can't find anyone asking about problems with their Kakadu suspension or people replacing it other than for beefing up the suspension / GVM. People describe it as adjustable from firm to spongy. There was an issue with the old 100 Sahara suspension where people disabled it because it reset to normal from high when loaded. Though there has been a very simple cheap bracket mod for that for about 15 years.

I suggest you join Prado Point, or LCOOL and ask the question. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

phs

^ not much to it, it is just shock dampening
Easy way to check if it is OEM as they have wires plugged into each shock.

Never heard of any std Kakadu suspension issues other than leaking shocks that cost an arm and a leg to replace and people who want lift, so replacing the whole lot.

Lcool is not great for 150s
prado point is quite these days but still worth a shot
I think there are Facebook pages as well

Luvocean1,

If you are looking at putting in a lift, do your homework there not as simple as people say, more times than not you will Ruin the ride quality

discomatt

You learn something every day, I thought he was referring to the air bag suspension they put into some of them, so are they an electronically controlled valve in the shocker to change dampening?

phs

You learn something every day, I thought he was referring to the air bag suspension they put into some of them, so are they an electronically controlled valve in the shocker to change dampening?
Air bag only rear end is std in all Kakadus
3 height adjustment. ( a little annoying for remote trips ) but generally good

Shocks dampening is controlled from in the cabin
3 settings ( Similar to HSVs magnetic ride control shocks ) electronically controlled dampening adjustment

KDSS is OEM on all of them as well which mimics a swaybar disconnect off-road

They are probably one of the best 4wds off the factory floor, as you can see from the std setup very good coupled with std rear locker and Crawl control they go well

Just unfortunate they can be a pain to lift and retain good ride quality /handling

Last edited:

phs

^ if you are not able to check if the factory shocks are still in the car take it to Toyota to have a look

Not noticing ANY change from comfort to sports is not normal. maybe the previous owner changed the shocks

luvocean1

I have asked them today as I am at service. I am advised button is only of much use when 4WDing in offroad condition. I am sure I had tried in offroad condition before and didnt see any difference.
I must admit, I checked the handbook as I wait for service, and only the offroad book talks about this rocker switch. This is basically a AVS (adaptive variable suspension) system swtich. But it does not say that the SPORT/NORM/COMF options are available in offroad driving conditon (4W LOW setting). So confused...

Surely someone out there has tried the switch? I asked the service guys to check if toggling it show anything in the computer...

CaptainBanana

Variable dampeners (shockers) have iron particles in the oil. When you trigger that switch it usually applies a magnetic field effect which aligns the iron in the oil essentially thickening it up and causing the piston to have more resistance travelling making the ride firmer and body control better - if it's working you WILL notice the difference even on road. Go find some moderate speed humps and drive them at 40km/h and see if you notice there. Also you should notice while cornering especially initially turn in.

The Toyota "technicians" might have been dropped on their heads as baby's.