Prado 150 roof loading limit

Hi Guys,

I just bought a full length steel roof rack, which is 50kg in total, in paper. BUT, when I get it, I feel 50kg is really something. I mean heavy. ╮(╯▽╰)╭

If I install this rack on my prado, plus a 40kg tyre with rim, plus 4 maxtraks, plus other things, on it, all together nearly 100kg. Is my prado strong enough to carry these things on the roof? I really get no idea whether my question is too stupid, or I am just thinking too much.

Thanks for your time and wish you guys have a good one!

Cheers,
Joe

Toddyh

Depending on the rack, I think the Prado has a 100kg roof load rating. So a 50kg rack, 40kg wheel and tyre is already 10kg off your limit. You would want to stay under this limit if heading off-road (or really anywhere at all).

A decent aluminium roof cage weighs roughly half of a steel one. A bit more prone to cracking welds, especially the cheapies, but worth the weight saving up high in my opinion, especially if you know a boilermaker!
Cheers Leo
Yes, I should do some research before purchasing. Now the problem is how to sell it, lol lol

discomatt

If going off road the max roof weight should be halved in my opinion. Not sure if Toyota have different load ratings depending driving conditions but from memory Land Rover go from 80kg to 35 on the Discovery 1. Makes sense if you think about it

If going off road the max roof weight should be halved in my opinion. Not sure if Toyota have different load ratings depending driving conditions but from memory Land Rover go from 80kg to 35 on the Discovery 1. Makes sense if you think about it
Thanks for your reply. Land Rover goes from 85 kg to 35 kg on Discovery 1?

discomatt

Thanks for your reply. Land Rover goes from 85 kg to 35 kg on Discovery 1?
Haven't looked at the speks for years but 85kg on road and it is dramatically reduced for off road, that's not just a dirt road but for serious 4wding where the extra load will make the car to top heavy and unstable.
I haven't looked for the roof load limits for my Discovery 4 because I am not installing a roof rack as its already to close to GVM.
Most new cars are around the 100kg mark but I could think of nothing worse than having 100kg on my roof in a emergency...

Yeh Joe, join Prado Pont and advertise it in their for sale section.
As for off road weights etc I have never followed that, I just believe in driving to conditions and vehicle load..... in other words take it easy !!!
Why though do you need a spare on the roof?????

Get a backbone system if you're concerned about load ratings. But the Pioneer systems are good. Roof rack weight matters so look for a platform that's light. Companies build in a safety factor when calculating load ratings, so you can get away with going over it a little bit but be warned it will void the warranty if it's apparent you've overloaded the system.