Change background image

Prado 120 first buy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taz89, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

HI there!
    I am about to purchase my first ever 4wd and i choose to get a Toyota Prado.I am planning to drive around Australia with my partner in a year,I will use the car manly to drive on highways and will do lots of Touring, not planning to tow. My budget is about 20k max 30k with some repairs if needed an mods. I found a prado 2004 desel auto 135xxx km for 22k$. Apparently the car is own by an elder man that he did very little 4wd, i think he hasn't got much service history. What should i look for before I buy? I would be happy to invest few more grand to make the car driving well and safe to take it to a road trip around australia. I found also few more prado between 2004 -2006 with more km around 230xxx 280xxx for the price between 20k$-25$, is it worth to get one of the others with that many km?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
  2. Borec

Borec Active Member

You will need to change injectors to be on a safe side (but that is for 1KD engine, I guess the 2004 has 1KZ which is supposed to be bullet proof, but sluggish). Check for cracks in the wheel arches, and at the back gate skin. I can only recommend that you join a Facebook groups Oz Prado Crew and Aussie 4WD Prado 120 and ask questions there. There is also helpful forum Pradopoint.com (but has been slowly fading due to the facebook). Prado 120 is awesome and will get you anywhere.
    I would also change the suspension, front wheel bearings. all belts and hoses, filling rubber tube of the fuel tank (or have a spare one) and the water pump, before going on a long trip around OZ.

3. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

the 120's are a good car

take the rubber seals off around the rear door sill, and the 4 doors. Check for rust. thats pretty much the only rusty bits you will find

135k is low milage, so that would be a great buy

as mentioned about, do all fluid and filter changes including the transmission. They say they are sealed for life, but do it anyway

only other thing I would say is fill up and enjoy the drive with your eyes of the fuel gauge. 180 litres gets you a long way

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I would want a full service history on anything before I bought it regardless of how many kilometres its done. To me regular servicing and maintenance on a diesel is of most importance. Having lower kms does not make it a better car .

5. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

Thanks to everyone for the tips! going to see the car tomorrow hopefully will be the right on

6. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

G'day Taz, how did you go with the prado ?

7. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

Hi there! I have purchased the 2006 3l diesel prado! Just took it to the mechanic and he said that looks very good just needed new filters and battery, the car has been in the garage the last 3 years. Need to buy some stuff to be ready for some off roading. What would be the basic tools to buy as beginner? Read some about it and apparently I need:
    - air compressor
    - deflate tool
    - shovel
    - recovery tracks
    - recovery rope
    - some recovery points.
    I was thinking to invest some money and get a snorkel aswell any suggestion?

8. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

a snorkel is definitately a good idea----a rear recovery hitch----snatch strap----tyre repair kit----------also a winch would be good if your travelling alone (plus winch dampener,,extention strap,,tree trunk protector,,winch block.)--------------------------( have a look at 4x4 supacentre on line, you'll see lots of 4x4 and camping gear, might give you a few ideas on what you need ) - Jim.

9. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

thanks for the tips Jim will have a look on supacenter web site I will slowly buy all I need can't wait to head in the bush or down the beach for a good day fishing!

10. red hilux

Maybe go do a driver training course and ask about doing recoveries

No point having the gear and no idea how to use it

Congrats on your purchase

11. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Also have a good look around the chassis where the engine mounts are, also a spot prone for stress fractures

12. red hilux

v6 petrol issue

13. Borec

Borec Active Member

IF you are in Melbourne, join the Toyota Cruiser club, to join is bit expensive, but it includes training weekend with recoveries and off road driving on the property the club has near Yarck. It is pretty good value. Plus you get an opportunity to go on trips with club members if that is your thing. I like teh club trips, but sometimes I just like to go out by myself. There are also other good training opportunities there, like tire repairing course, first aid course etc.
    One other thing which I find go be a good investment is a tire monitoring gauge, you can get them for around $100 on ebay, the external ones are ok. One of the best things I ever bought, alerts you about slow leaks before you destroy your tire, and it is good to know at a glance what pressure you are running. Tire pressure is one of the most important things when doing 4x4 driving.

14. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

I am from Perth WA, and I am a chef so unfortunately could not join weekend trips.

I thought about it to pay a 1 or 2 day course and learn all the basic, probably will do it one soon , I also have a mate that owns a Nissan Navara so we will head off to the bush.

ill have a look at it! I need to do a big shopping list for all the things I need to get!
    Thanks again to everyone for the tips!

15. red hilux

Mundaring powerlines is a nice, litte bit more in the deep end place to learn for a beginner