Prado 120 6V exhaust upgrade

Dead_Man

Has anyone done prado 120 series (petrol) exhaust upgrade to be more economical on fuel? Any advises? Cost, Pros, Cons

and also where to buy parts(DIY) or get it done completely in East Melbourne?

CaptainBanana

You're not going to make any significant improvements with an Exhausts it's a petrol engine in a heavy four-wheel drive it's going to drink.. You can improve your economy by removing accessories you don't need especially stuff on the front and the roof and by driving better.

Dead_Man

You're not going to make any significant improvements with an Exhausts it's a petrol engine in a heavy four-wheel drive it's going to drink.. You can improve your economy by removing accessories you don't need especially stuff on the front and the roof and by driving better.

Its stock at this stage plan is to keep it on diet and lite as possible. But takes 14L/100 on hwy. I heard exhaust upgrade reduce this to 10L/100 or so at pradopoint. But didn't find anyone who actually done it.

CaptainBanana

That is a load of bullshit. If you could reduce the fuel consumption by 30% - 40% with an exhaust the factory would have a free flow exhaust on there and use it to market the vehicle as such, most modern built vehicles have very efficient intake and exhaust systems from the factory this is why they produce good power and torque. Putting a free-flowing and noisy muffler will provide minimal if any usable gains and certainly not 30 or 40% better fuel economy - that's a joke.

Last edited:

Colly18

If fuel economy is your prime concern then IMO keep the vehicle as stock as possible - no larger/heavier tyres, no performance chips, no suspension lifts, no gear on roof racks. IMO you will soon work out that for a touring 4X4 the mods you will want to make will cost you some fuel economy.
The best thing you can do to reduce fuel economy is adjust driving style. And if you are doing all you are prepared to do there, then maybe 14 litres/100km is the best you are going to achieve?
If required(?), I'd be giving the vehicle a dose of fresh engine oil (manufacturers recommended weight/spec), new plugs, plus and a new air filter and recheck consumption after that.

Last edited:

Dead_Man

That is a load of bullshit. If you could reduce the fuel consumption by 30% - 40% with an exhaust the factory would have a free flow exhaust on there and used it to market the vehicle as such, most modern built vehicles have very efficient intake and exhaust systems from the factory this is why they produce good power and tourqe already - putting a free-flowing and noisy muffler will provide minimal if any usable gains and certainly not 30 or 40% better fuel economy that's a joke.
That is exactly my thoughts cap.. If aftermarket exhaust can improve the fuel economy then why toyota dont adapt? I am not sure what they saying is possible. I am doing research to find out the actual. Below link is what pradopoint forum says.

CaptainBanana

That is exactly my thoughts cap.. If aftermarket exhaust can improve the fuel economy then why toyota dont adapt? I am not sure what they saying is possible. I am doing research to find out the actual. Below link is what pradopoint forum says.

You can expect 2-5% power increase at the top end. Reverse engineer that figure and you'll probably find little or no torque gains at low (usable) rpm. Increasing engine efficiency is good but it's not cheap.

Dead_Man

If fuel economy is your prime concern then IMO keep the vehicle as stock as possible - no larger/heavier tyres, no performance chips, no suspension lifts, no gear on roof racks. IMO you will soon work out that for a touring 4X4 the mods you will want to make will cost you some fuel economy.
The best thing you can do to reduce fuel economy is adjust driving style. And if you are doing all you are prepared to do there, then maybe 14 litres/100km is the best you are going to achieve?
If required(?), I'd be giving the vehicle a dose of fresh engine oil (manufacturers recommended weight/spec), new plugs, plus and a new air filter and recheck consumption after that.
I totally agree keeping lite and proper aerodynamic would give me best mileage possible. Chip!!! Thats the other point I need to know. Can those chips increase the fuel economy? Is it bad for the engine?

CaptainBanana

I totally agree keeping lite and proper aerodynamic would give me best mileage possible. Chip!!! Thats the other point I need to know. Can those chips increase the fuel economy? Is it bad for the engine?
Not chips but tuning petrol motors focuses on more timing and leaner fuel mixtures, if you can drive it exactly the same way you'll potentially see a minor improvement.

But you'll pay $1200-1600 and you'll probably lose the ability to run 91 octane.

red hilux

14 is pretty good for a petrol

couple friends have the v6 120 prado.
They both use around 16/100

one is modified, the other is a stock mall crawler

discomatt

Nothing to do with exhausts but one thing I have noticed regarding any and yes any and all vehicle whether it is specific make or manufacturer forums is that a lot members / posters are over opinionated, under educated , biased and specific make worshiping know it all's that talk 90% utter BS
Reducing fuel consumption by that much is a prime example and who ever posted that is full of it.
Any petrol 4wd will suck fuel, the more mods the more fuel, the more 4wding the more fuel, the more weight and the harder it works more fuel.
If you have to worry that much about fuel consumption either but a diesel and spend heaps more on maintenance or buy a Hyundia i30

Dead_Man

Not chips but tuning petrol motors focuses on more timing and leaner fuel mixtures, if you can drive it exactly the same way you'll potentially see a minor improvement.

But you'll pay $1200-1600 and you'll probably lose the ability to run 91 octane.
Don't think that's worth the effort. But i get what all trying to say.

Dead_Man

Nothing to do with exhausts but one thing I have noticed regarding any and yes any and all vehicle whether it is specific make or manufacturer forums is that a lot members / posters are over opinionated, under educated , biased and specific make worshiping know it all's that talk 90% utter BS
Reducing fuel consumption by that much is a prime example and who ever posted that is full of it.
Any petrol 4wd will suck fuel, the more mods the more fuel, the more 4wding the more fuel, the more weight and the harder it works more fuel.
If you have to worry that much about fuel consumption either but a diesel and spend heaps more on maintenance or buy a Hyundia i30
LOL i30? Ha ha haaa...

Dead_Man

Thanks guys. Its been good educational chat.... i think i am gonna keep stock as much as possible. Only essential mods for touring.... lets see how it turns...

Spooner

Thanks guys. Its been good educational chat.... i think i am gonna keep stock as much as possible. Only essential mods for touring.... lets see how it turns...
Just drive it and enjoy it mate ,
Don't worry about performance or economy upgrades , a waste of money ;)

Mulga63

Then i should be happy its running 14 on hwy. Nice...
Yes, 14 is very good.
I have 265/70/17 Toyo M/T which does cut the revs a little bit, but also takes a bit to get it rolling, with such a heavy tyre.
If you drive it with a fair bit of mechanical sympathy, (like I do) then reasonable mileage can be expected, but it doesn't take much to have that blow out fairly quickly.
My main driving is between SE Melbourne & Mornington or Portland, so fairly flat country (hence 16l) but idled across Simpson Desert at 19.2

Dead_Man

Yes, 14 is very good.
I have 265/70/17 Toyo M/T which does cut the revs a little bit, but also takes a bit to get it rolling, with such a heavy tyre.
If you drive it with a fair bit of mechanical sympathy, (like I do) then reasonable mileage can be expected, but it doesn't take much to have that blow out fairly quickly.
My main driving is between SE Melbourne & Mornington or Portland, so fairly flat country (hence 16l) but idled across Simpson Desert at 19.2
I got 265/70/17 as well but A/T. Hv a roof rack but las trip which did 14 had nothing on it.

Nice to know prado 120 can handle Simpson. Thats one of track on my list. Hope i can do without suspension upgrade.