posting track names, not smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowlux

guys seriously,

more directed at adelaide members

as far as sa people know theres stuff all places to drive. yeh?

when a new place is uncovered, how long does it take to get shutdown cause it gets posted all over the net?

i know this is 4x4 earyh and yes everyone posts there tracks. already a few tracks that were once well kept secrest have been blurted onto thos forums datbase and other 4wd forums and have seen massive traffic, torn up, and then gated with a pissed off owner, conucil whatever

its great to be able to come on here and find new places, but not when all the old ones are geting shutdown.

Private msgs are key ;)

just some food for thought

ChallengeLee

Valid point you are making Slowlux but l would like to think that those that utilise this forum and the tracks that are on it are the responsible 4wdrivers who do the right thing by all of us and drive to the conditions of the tracks and tread carefully.

Without adding tracks to this site it would defeat it's whole purpose of being here. It was set up to provide tracks that we otherwise wouldn't know about and therefore giving everyone an opportunity of doing the thing we love.

The thing is, if you have a favourite track then by all means you have the choice not to share it but l can bet it will be found eventually and whether it is posted or not some dickhead will find it whether it be from a forum or not and the likelihood of it being trashed and closed may happen. It is happening everywhere it is the way some of societies reprobates spoil it for us all.

Thats why having this forum provides us with new and often better more varied tracks to keep us going.
As quoted from the About Us section of the site "We are lucky to live in a country with plenty of offroad tracks with some great places to visit. We need to preserve it for ourselves, others and future generations. We support the Tread Lightly principles, which are:

· Travel and recreate with minimum impact;
· Respect the environment and the rights of others;
· Educate yourself, plan and prepare before you go;
· Allow for the future use of the outdoors: leave it better than when you found it; and
· Discover the rewards of responsible recreation."

Therefore what happens will happen because of others and not those from this forum and we will all come together to preserve what we can when we can. Regardless, tracks will be closed but there is always another to take it's place even if it's just for a little while.

Just my thoughts also.

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mate it doesn't just happen in SA,but keeping tracks secret for those in the know isn't the answer.
Educating the ignorant might be.If you see someone doing the wrong thing, tell them to pull their head in.I don't know what other forums you frequent,but this forums members seem a damn sight more sensible than most.
Anyway welcome to the site. Interesting first post.

73bubba

Sorry slowlux I must disagree with you,:( 4x4 EARTH is the perfect place to post tracks. :)

Why should tracks be kept secret?:confused:

If owners or councils are getting pissed off that most likely means that these tracks are "NOT" for public access.:rolleyes:

If tracks are on private property the property owners contact details should be given (with their consent of course) when the track or campsite is posted so that users can get permission from property owners to gain access to private tracks, I doubt very much that any reasonable property owner would disagree with this and users should respect the owners decisions as they are are the ones that have to wear the cost of maintaining and repairing tracks that get chewed up by irresponsible people.

Be responsible 4x4 EARTHlings and show some respect to property owners and other users and they may show you respect in return.:D

Last edited:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Slowlux,
Yes the rabble that tear up the tracks are a problem however I would like to think that the more of us responsible track users there are the better our sport will be received. We've discovered a few areas that we haven't posted on the tracks list however have said if anyone would like to know where they are to PM us. Many of the southern tracks have been closed but we faced the same problem with rally driving many moons ago. Now it is recognised thanks to such events as The Classic Rally etc so maybe one day 4x4ing will follow.
Unfortunately most local tracks are restricted to club access only or we have to pay for the use of private tracks but it's a small cost when we have such beautiful areas as the Flinders to go play in.

slowlux

ee "Valid point you are making Slowlux but l would like to think that those that utilise this forum and the tracks that are on it are the responsible 4wdrivers who do the right thing by all of us and drive to the conditions of the tracks and tread carefully."

all good in thought, but you dont even have to be a member of the site to see the tracks list...having good faith in people to respect areas, and 'tread lightly'. sorry but its not gonn happen all the time. theres always going to be a minority of pople not doing the right thing.

"he thing is, if you have a favourite track then by all means you have the choice not to share it but l can bet it will be found eventually and whether it is posted or not some dickhead will find it whether it be from a forum or not and the likelihood of it being trashed and closed may happen. It is happening everywhere it is the way some of societies reprobates spoil it for us all."

so shpouldnt we try to maintain and keep what little driving areas we have. no i dont own them. But id certainly like to have some tracks around for atelast the next 5-10 years...

tankbloke

like ive said above, theres always going to be a minority. and you DONT need to be a member to see the tracks list, besides the point anyway. It takes 3 seconds to sing up an account, and that imstantly makes you responsile and educated 4x4 driver?

you dont think when tracks get posted on forums they "stay" on that forum? word gets spread froum to forum, shop to shop. driver to driver, person to person, neighbour to neighbour etc etc and not all those people are going to know about treading lightly and respecting areas.

73bubba

"Why should tracks be kept secret?"

cause in 10 years time 4x4 spots will all be behind gates with people wondering why everything got shutdown..

basic principle, the more people that know about something. the more attention it gets, the more the wrong thing gets done, the harder it is the fix it, the easier it is just to get rid of.

Like ive said already, 4x4earth are not the only ones who can see the posted tracks!!!!!!

it would take 5 mins for some random guy who just bought a tuff 4x4 jump on google type in 4x4 tracks victoria. your site comes up, he finds a track close to his place, goes there, and spends 4 hours doing donuts on the nice shady grassy area. He doesnt care, he doesnt know, he'll never go back there ...

know what im sayin??

look at how much the 4x4 industry has grown over recent years, tonnes of 4x4 forums, new shops everywhere, its taken off. but think about that with a thought on how many tracks have been closed in recent years. not just SA, but everywhere.

dont want to come across as having a go at this forum. not at all. Just want to raise a bit awarness about the situation. im sick of it, im sure others are sick of having a day of wheeling planned and then you rock up at a locked gate.

this is mainly what im getting at. you dont know whos reading this information.

Its like criminals having an open forum on the net thinking that they are safe and having a closed discussion. but the police are really listening and they catch them there. crap example, but ya know?

you dont know whos reading the information being posted is what im trying to say,

cheers

Last edited:

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
You seem to have an answer for everything,so what do we do?PM each other as you suggested in your first post?. You said in your second post "you can sing up an account in three minutes",so seems a pretty lame solution to me.
Just my thoughts.

slowlux

PM each other as you suggested in your first post?

Yes. Yes I am suggesting that. Sure, I even said that you can sign up in a few minutes, but it
it's one step above just blatantly posting them for everyone to see in one easy list three clicks away from their desktop.

know what i mean?

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
The nudge- nudge wink - wink lets keep it secret may work for a Monty Python sketch, but not in the real world.
Know what I mean?

Sambartom

Yer,,Who told people that their are good 4x4ing spots in my area,Places like Walhalla and O'tools The list can go on.Thanks to this all i get over the weekend is 4x4 after 4x4 driving And im not even going to say anything about the long weekends.People going in to the bush in a clean car then coming back pass all muddy "what is this" are they still kids that have to play in the mud.O and having to wait in the shop for them all to go first "dam pains putting money into my town"...:mad:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p;)...Just joking....

Last edited:

slowlux

sounds like youre just trying to argue.

Arent we all interested in preserving areas for years to come so we can keep on enjoying them?

i certainly dont like rockin up somewhere to go for a drive only to find rubbish and crap everywhere..

anyway, if all you're arguing about is my solution, but agree with my point, then you come up with a better solution. I just think it's utterly stupid to post track names like this for ANYONE to see...

how aboout tracks getting booby trapped?? some greenie nutter could come on here and go out to a track that hes found on the list and put a few bits of wire up between trees, maybe some sharp sticks and rocks in the bogholes? gotta love that

like i said, you DONT KNOW whos using this information

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Now, Now boys
In fairness to Slowlux Adelaide is very closed to 4wding in the local hills, especially down south and for the main part we have to pay to do most tracks in the South Aust. We were astounded at the freedom the Victorians have in their mountains when we went to O'Tooles last year. For this reason the track info does work for the Eastern States but makes it a bit more challenging for us South Aussies. There are very few areas in SA we can play for free for a day trip in the local areas. A classic example would be Cox Crossing. A great little track until the yarhoos tore it up with their oversized tyres and lack of respect for the environment till finally the council shut the road completely. The tracks in Deep Creek have all been closed and the list continues.
Having said that we can still contribute private paying tracks to this forum and as I have said before if we continue pushing the point of responsible 4wding then maybe in the future this will change.

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Congratulations you have five posts now and can private message as much as you like, and you are right of course I am just being difficult.Sorry I didn't see it your way, it is much clearer now.Thankyou for setting me right.

atari4x4

Banned
4x4earth is wrong.....

This whole 4x4earth idea is wrong, any redneck hillbilly cowboy in a 4wd can do a quick search on this forum without even registering, go out in his 4wd & trash any of these track in Australia with out a care in the world & lets face it the 4wding community is only getting bigger & this website is doing no favours to the real enthusiasts.

All of the accessible tracks listed in Adelaide are now getting thrashed due to every man & his dog posting them on this forum... years ago it was only word of mouth & there was no issues with tracks getting damaged & being locked down. The number of tracks that have been shut down over the last couple of years is depressing & it's only going to get worse...

Anyone who heads out to a lot of the tracks listed in Adelaide... be warned that your number plates & vehicle details are being recorded, some tracks are for emergency vehicles only & others are fire tracks/summer tracks. The gates at a certain "Black Diamond" hill climb in the hills are due to be locked this winter.

Thanks 4x4earth for putting the only tracks in Adelaide under the spot light..... :mad:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Atari4x4
I have just had a look at the tracks map and am wondering what tracks exactly you may be talking about. There is very little close to Adelaide listed - I think maybe the redneck hillbilly cowboys your talking about are finding the tracks through word of mouth rather than from 4x4Earth.
And what would the alternative be - you have to be a paying member of this forum to access the track info?

atari4x4

Banned
Actual track names & locations should be kept to PM or even better actual face to face conversations, having the locations accessible & blatantly posted on any forum is a bad idea. As slowlux has stated YOU DO NOT KNOW who is accessing this information...

If I mentioned track names like Downhill Climb or Panda Puss Hill, the old Vineyards track & Carwash I can guarantee 99% of outsiders will not know what I'm talking about, having that information 3 clicks away on a website is just asking for unwanted attention.

3wd Craption has been around longer than this website & is responsible for the closure of numerous tracks around Adelaide due to clowns posting track names & locations. This website will be adding the last couple of nails in the coffin for wheeling in metro Radelaide.

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Congratulations you have five posts now and can private message as much as you like, and you are right of course I am just being difficult.Sorry I didn't see it your way, it is much clearer now.Thankyou for setting me right.

You believe that? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.