Post your night pics

Baggs71

Okay, using your set up these are the base settings that I would use to do nightscape photography:

Manually set your focus to 'Infinity' and keep it in manual focus.

Turn off any lens vibration control (VR on Nikons I think).

Use a sturdy tripod - do not raise the centre column if possible.

Using a focal length of 18mm:
Aperture - F3.5
Shutter speed - 16 seconds (any slower and you will get star trails)
ISO - 6400

Using a focal length of 20mm:
Aperture - F3.5
Shutter speed - 15 seconds (any slower and you will get star trails)
ISO - 6400

Make initial adjustments firstly with your ISO - if you can go a bit lower the better (i.e. 3200)

If you change your focal length, then you will need to change your shutter speed using the '300 rule' for APS-C cameras (500 rule for full frame) - that is divide 300 by your focal length and round down. I.e. 300 / 21mm = 14.285 so round down to 14 seconds and this should prevent 'star trails' forming.

You can also try 'light painting' - that is where you use a light source to highlighted your subject (or foreground interest).

To do this, once you press your shutter, use a torch to 'paint' over the subject - you may have to try it a number of times to determine the amount of light you want but the more you practice the better results you will get.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Old Narloo Homestead - natural light.

View attachment 71281

Old Narloo Homestead light painted

View attachment 71282
Jesus thanks sooo much!

Toyasaurus

For Nikon DX, 35mm f1.8 are around $300+ new or 150+ S/H.
The 50mm 1.8, is below $100 S/H, But you would need the camera drive to run the auto focus, D7000 and up.
Check gumtree, there is always something. Remember test before you buy.
Don`t forget that yours is a crop sensor 35mm is closer to 52mm.
If you don`t mind manual focus, 20mm or lower is better, but more expensive.

I only shoot raw if I`m going to post process, I always used to shoot raw+Jpeg, ended up using far too to much drive space, my d500 is up to 95k shots, or more it`s been a long time since I checked the shutter usage.

I use a D500, I need fast frame rate and large buffer, 10 shot a sec and up to 200 per burst.

Last edited:

Baggs71

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens....
Am i right in thinking this lens is good and suits my dx d5500?

Karl Fehlauer

I use a Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens (also known as Bower and other brand names) which I got from EvilBay for about $300.

It is a fully manual lens - that is you have to manually focus it and manually set the aperture using the aperture ring but it is a great lens to learn with.

Karl.

Karl Fehlauer

I`d suggest that you pick up a cheap 35/50mm f1.8 so you can drop the ISO down as far as possible.

By the way Karl, nice pic`s.

I think (IMHO) that 35 or 50 mm lens on an APS-C camera may be too narrow as you will have focal lengths (adjusted with the crop factor) of 52.5 mm (35mm) or 75 mm (50 mm) which would be far too narrow and require you to be a fair distance from your subject.

You would be better off getting a cheap 14 mm (APS-C equiv 21mm) lens from EvilBay) - see my post above for what I use.

Karl

Baggs71

I think (IMHO) that 35 or 50 mm lens on an APS-C camera may be too narrow as you will have focal lengths (adjusted with the crop factor) of 52.5 mm (35mm) or 75 mm (50 mm) which would be far too narrow and require you to be a fair distance from your subject.

You would be better off getting a cheap 14 mm (APS-C equiv 21mm) lens from EvilBay) - see my post above for what I use.

Karl
My brain just melted...i re read the abive and digest

Baggs71

Karl
Got a link or layman website image

Toyasaurus

Easy times the focal length ( mm) of the lens by 1.5 for nikon crop sensor ( DX ).

The 35mm is the equivalent to 52.5mm as seen by your sensor, compared to the full frame sensor, which is the same size as the old 35mm film surface.

Canon and all the other brands work off the equivalent 35mm full frame size, they just call it something else. there all crop sensors.

Some are full frame, some are crop some are medium format that comes in 2 sizes but it`s much bigger then full frame, Fuji, Hasselblad etc.

For a wide angle you might do well with anything smaller than 21mm.

Hope that clears things up.

Toyasaurus

I was looking through old files and found my first go at light painting.
I think only 1 shot turned out well.
enjoy.

DSC_5172.jpg

Toyasaurus

Thanks baggs.
I had a torch tied to a piece of string, set the timer for 10 seconds and the manual shutter for about 20secs.
Pre set the focus and hoped for the best, this was the second last shot.