Post your night pics

Bru9

Have to say some of the shots in this thread are amazing.... i really need to learn how to take some night shots.
Define amazing? Like fantasy and victoria secret models caked with makeup? There is nothing to it, all you do is get a good tripod, timer or remote switch and crank up the iso and shutter value and play around until your happy. Re view your photos on the fly with a good large screen and thank the people at Nikon. Even a 400dollar kodak can do "wonders" in the right hands. Lets see if after 13 pages they can get realistic great shots that are not fantasy, that is actually really really hard. I know i use to take beamshots of powerful flashlights and trying to get them to look realistic AND interesting/creative was just a foolsgame.
To me you seen one seen them all, like slow mo and aerial footage...facepalm

Toddyh

Define amazing? Like fantasy and victoria secret models caked with makeup? There is nothing to it, all you do is get a good tripod, timer or remote switch and crank up the iso and shutter value and play around until your happy. Re view your photos on the fly with a good large screen and thank the people at Nikon. Even a 400dollar kodak can do "wonders" in the right hands. Lets see if after 13 pages they can get realistic great shots that are not fantasy, that is actually really really hard. I know i use to take beamshots of powerful flashlights and trying to get them to look realistic AND interesting/creative was just a foolsgame.

Well you're a positive human aren't you. Dig up a compliment that's over a year old so you can argue that nothing here is amazing. Thanks for this amazing post.

Karl Fehlauer

Cool - I look forward to seeing some of your great shots.

Karl

Karl Fehlauer

Hey mate,

Its been over a week now and we haven't seen any of your night time photos yet - been looking forward to it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Karl

Toyasaurus

A few i took in Sydney years ago.

Enjoy.
test nite 038.jpg
159.jpg
163_edited-1.jpg

Karl Fehlauer

Hi Karl Salutations!

Nikon D5500
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

Okay, using your set up these are the base settings that I would use to do nightscape photography:

Manually set your focus to 'Infinity' and keep it in manual focus.

Turn off any lens vibration control (VR on Nikons I think).

Use a sturdy tripod - do not raise the centre column if possible.

Using a focal length of 18mm:
Aperture - F3.5
Shutter speed - 16 seconds (any slower and you will get star trails)
ISO - 6400

Using a focal length of 20mm:
Aperture - F3.5
Shutter speed - 15 seconds (any slower and you will get star trails)
ISO - 6400

Make initial adjustments firstly with your ISO - if you can go a bit lower the better (i.e. 3200)

If you change your focal length, then you will need to change your shutter speed using the '300 rule' for APS-C cameras (500 rule for full frame) - that is divide 300 by your focal length and round down. I.e. 300 / 21mm = 14.285 so round down to 14 seconds and this should prevent 'star trails' forming.

You can also try 'light painting' - that is where you use a light source to highlighted your subject (or foreground interest).

To do this, once you press your shutter, use a torch to 'paint' over the subject - you may have to try it a number of times to determine the amount of light you want but the more you practice the better results you will get.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Old Narloo Homestead - natural light.

2020-07-22 Landscape - 031-Edit.jpg

Old Narloo Homestead light painted

2020-07-22 Landscape - 033-Edit.jpg

sharkcaver

Stu
Stunning...do you know your settings?
Ive got the gear but no idea
Karl pretty well summed things up for you, however my settings:

Nikon D3300
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens
25 second exposure
iso 3200

What I noticed with my cam, yours may be similar being a nikon (but higher grade than mine), is I need to set White Balance to Flouro for these night shots. And I use a remote to trigger the shot.

Give it a crack, see what you come up with.

P.S. the last 2 were light painted. A $15 kmart rectangular led lantern
(cant see them on kmart no more, but $98 - no way
)

Last edited:

Toyasaurus

I`d suggest that you pick up a cheap 35/50mm f1.8 so you can drop the ISO down as far as possible.

By the way Karl, nice pic`s.