Post your night pics

muffin man

Parachilna Gorge
DSC_0213.JPG

Spooner

I took this last week going to work at 2.30 am , was clouded in and when I got down the road near the farm , a small hole opened up to show the moon.
So I stopped and took a photo with my phone. Im surprised it even came out as I didn't think there would be enough light.
Its not great quality , was black as a nun's you know what , lol ;)
night.jpg

Bomber2012

I took this last week going to work at 2.30 am , was clouded in and when I got down the road near the farm , a small hole opened up to show the moon.
So I stopped and took a photo with my phone. Im surprised it even came out as I didn't think there would be enough light.
Its not great quality , was black as a nun's you know what , lol ;)
View attachment 50596
Looks a bit Twilight Zone Rick.

Zamunda

Great pic mate. I assume its a few layered into each other?

Aaron
Thanks.

No not layered. I thought that's what I might have to do. So took several shots. But once I opened up the pics on the computer, I was quite surprised. Worked only on one image. All I did was tune the colour balance. There was a bit of graining due to the low light conditions. So corrected this in PS.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Great pic mate. I assume its a few layered into each other?

Aaron
Nope, just the one. Even with all the little issues I have with it, I’m pretty chuffed with that one.
Took a few goes to get it right though.

-First step was get the sky right, that was pretty straightforward.
-Then I had to work out how to get my lights properly exposed. In a perfect world I would’ve climbed out the passengers side to make sure there were no footprints in the sand, but considering I didn’t have an offsider to help, I had to reach through the window and flick them on and off after starting the twenty second exposure.
In the end I had to flick the lights on and off as fast as possible to prevent me blowing out the foreground.
-On top of the lens flare it created, another side defect of flashing the lights was a ghostly image of me reaching through the window. The way I dealt with that was to do a bit of light painting on the side of the HiLux with a torch. That’s why you can see the bright spot on the sand to the left behind the ute.
-I wanted to try and get a bit more light onto the dune in the background too, but I just didn’t have enough time. I could’ve used my lantern, but it gives of a different coloured light that would’ve made it look weird.
I also could’ve gone with a longer exposure, but then the stars would’ve grown tails.

A few adjustments in Lightroom was all the post processing it required.

This one however is a HDR made of five images, as there was no way I could leave all my lights on and get a correct exposure.
I think I like it more, and it has less “wrong” with it, but I’m not as impressed knowing that I couldn’t get it in one exposure.
CFDE66BA-8AD1-4554-87E8-BA6CBB6A8855.jpeg

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
This was taken at Split Rock in Western Australia, which is along the Great Northern Highway about 50km East of Port Headland.
Focus is a little off, and need to work on my light painting, but it turned out alrightish..
Earth-0472.JPG

And this was something a little different I thought up while on the Rig Road last month. It's Big Red again, this time from the bottom, and with me driving up it through a long exposure.
I've got no idea how many times I drove up the dune that night, but I was there for over an hour and a half going up and down different tracks, taking photos and/or video on all of them. With this being my favourite..
Earth--2.JPG

Best part about Big Red at night, is that you get it to yourself.:)

Ditch

Had a play around in the backyard last night. Heading out bush over the weekend so getting in a bit of practice. Been a while since I did any Astrophotography.

6 x 5 minute exposures at 100 ISO stacked using StarStax.
40849147080_5050f86340_b.jpg

One 45 minute long exposure at 100 ISO straight from the camera.
28783554318_133757cd5b_b.jpg

20 x 5 second exposures at 1600 ISO stacked using Deep Sky Stacker
40849148120_2444e30543_b.jpg