Post COVID Trip, Helena and Aurora ranges and surrounds

J.J

The Yilgarn region, and more specifically the Helena and Aurora ranges and surrounding region have some of the best camping and exploring in Western Australia. This wasn't my first trip to this region, previously having been in the 4x4 and the Adventure Bike, but it was the first in winter. Adding winter to the equation made it one of my favourite visits. The crisp mornings, the sunrises and the camp fires made it that bit better.

For those who haven't dine their first post COVID trip, here is some inspiration.

This episode takes me from Lake Baladjie campsite to the Aurora range.

Part 2 will take you from Aurora Range to Mt Manning, and Mt Elvire station, then to the Diemals Station.

sharkcaver

Nice work JJ. We saw your name in the book at Mt.Jackson, missed you by about a week. Interesting how different parties cover the same route and see different stuff. Cheers.

Reactions: J.J

Karl Fehlauer

I didnt really see anyone on the tracks, just one group at Aurora.
We stayed at Eagle Rock on the Sat night, then at a great site just off of the Mt Jackson Bullfinch Rd on Sun night and Bungalbin Hill camp ground on the Mon - didn't see any one once we got on the Mt Jackson / Bullfinch Rd a part from miners.

Karl

J.J

2nd part of the trip out to the Yilgarn region. This part takes us from the Aurora range, the back way to the Mt Manning, finding a few points of interest along the way, then onto Mt Elvira station where we camped at the break-aways. The next day we took a quick look at the Diemals station homestead, or whats left of it. Its a great spot. We only scratched the surface in this series.

Last edited:

dusta77

love your videos JJ . i love exploring in those areas and i really enjoy all your vids . Much better than some of the other stuff out there

J.J

haha Thanks.. there is a lot of good stuff out there. Every one who videos their trips for others consumption has their way of doing it. We are all lucky that these days there is so much of this stuff to choose from. Remember the days when the TV was the only source of content..

Great to hear you like the vids. Makes it worthwhile to take the time.. Its takes a while to video, and nearly as long to edit it into something vaguely watchable.

sharkcaver

FYI, that first rock is Pittosporum rock, with the large Pittosporum tree - you parked just prior to it.

Bungalbin - pronounced bun gal(as in galvanise) bin

next gnamma is called Wolgling Soak (I had to look up an old tracklog to recall that name)

Re the plaque - If you value your paint job, you will walk there...haha. The track (if you could call it that) runs east off the track you started driving up. Its about 2km to the east.

That rim you found is rather interesting. Nice find.

oh and not being critical but its El (VIRE) not elverie

Hope the above helps.

Reactions: J.J