Portable toilets

CaptainBanana

If you've driven from quite a substantial altitude change you will want to open the flap at a very slow rate in usually just to let it equalise and you won't end up wearing it.

silkwood

We have a Thetford on the boat (we use the boat to sleep in when in transit), and one of these in the canopy, just in case (as well as a pop-up ensuite tent)...

https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/elemental-pop-up-pooper-toilet

Compact, easy to use, particularly when in locations where it is difficult to dig, or environmentally sensitive.

Also have one of these for bushwalking...

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Pocket-Trowel-Colors/dp/B001PR06XS

(mine is the old alloy blade unit).

Agree on using the "decompress" button before opening the cap on the Thetford:eek:

Cheers,
Mark

Laingy

G'day Adventurers
I inherited a new Companion Ezyloo 248 when we purchased our pop top caravan. We free camp a bit and use a collapsible Thunder Box with bio degradable bags inside. We carry our waste out and put it in the household bins for disposal.

We still have the Portaloo taking up room. I've advertised it on Gum Tree before for $30 but no one seems interested.
I'LL GIVE IT AWAY TO ANYONE WHO WANTS IT!!!!
I'm in Murray Bridge SA but can take the Portaloo to Craigmore if that makes it easier for pick up.

Over to you happy crappers :)

Laingy

G'day Adventurers
I inherited a new Companion Ezyloo 248 when we purchased our pop top caravan. We free camp a bit and use a collapsible Thunder Box with bio degradable bags inside. We carry our waste out and put it in the household bins for disposal.

We still have the Portaloo taking up room. I've advertised it on Gum Tree before for $30 but no one seems interested.
I'LL GIVE IT AWAY TO ANYONE WHO WANTS IT!!!!
I'm in Murray Bridge SA but can take the Portaloo to Craigmore if that makes it easier for pick up.

Over to you happy crappers :)

Attachments

• $_20.jpg
    $_20.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 23
  • $_20 (1).jpg
    $_20 (1).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 23
  • $_20 (2).jpg
    $_20 (2).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 26

Laingy

The biodegradable bags for Thunder Boxes and Elemental Portable loos are available from BCF (and I imagine other camper places) FOR 12 BAGS FOR $15. Carry it in....Carry it out!
BTW I ended up giving the Companion Portaloo away for free to a young bloke off Gumtree who wanted it for his wife and kids.

Attachments

• Poo bags.jpg
    Poo bags.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 22

phs

For those that use them
What are the approved methods for disposal ?

I have never actually seen a dump point in Vic ( though I am sure they exist )

also can you please empty into septic or sewer systems ?

CTL

Get Wikicamps for $8 and it lists all dump points, plus many, many other things.

Dumping in a toilet connected to a sewerage system is possible but not the “done thing” due to the mess it creates.

Dumping in a septic, with the common chemicals porta potties use, is a big no-no

itlldoo

who thought that a white bag was a good choice ?
The biodegradable bags for Thunder Boxes and Elemental Portable loos are available from BCF (and I imagine other camper places) FOR 12 BAGS FOR $15. Carry it in....Carry it out!
BTW I ended up giving the Companion Portaloo away for free to a young bloke off Gumtree who wanted it for his wife and kids.

cam04

I empty mine in the loo (at home) all the time. I have escaped any splashes etc thus far.
I use oxy action laundry soaker (potassium percarbonate) which is fine for septic use. It activates immediately in the portable loo.

phs

I empty mine in the loo (at home) all the time. I have escaped any splashes etc thus far.
I use oxy action laundry soaker (potassium percarbonate) which is fine for septic use. It activates immediately in the portable loo.

We have a septech system, not sure if that would upset the treatment or not.
Probably would we can’t use bleach or jiff ect.

Last edited:

cam04

We have a septech system, not sure if that would upset the treatment or not.
Probably would we can’t use bleach or jiff ect.
Sorry, it is sodium percarbonate. All good for septics.

RBJET

There are generally 2 types of chemicals for portable toilets.
Blue= A bit stronger and lasts longer. Not septic safe.
Green= Not as strong with less chemicals. Septic safe.

nicolaskersey

The very thought of them calling themselves a "portable toilet" or a "dontal toilet" makes me roll my eyes in irritation. Can anyone suggest me the best portable toilets? Not, until I actually have to use one!

The very thought of someone suggesting the best portable toilets to me makes me want to run as fast as I can from the Internet, out my window and away I go. But I have come to realise that there are a couple of different things that people might want in their bathroom. If you are looking for a large amount of room, then a small toilet might be what you are looking for. If you are a young family that often has members from the local gay community staying with you, then maybe a toilet with a double door for privacy is what you need.

What is the best portable toilets? There isn't a single person or company that can make a definitive answer to that question because every brand, model and design are different. One company might like a certain type of design, while another might not, even if they think it looks great. There are too many individual opinions to be mentioned here but the ones I am particularly interested in are:

Last edited:

Gary Wragg

The very thought of them calling themselves a "portable toilet" or a "dontal toilet" makes me roll my eyes in irritation. Can anyone suggest me the best portable toilets? Not, until I actually have to use one!

The very thought of someone suggesting the best portable toilets to me makes me want to run as fast as I can from the Internet, out my window and away I go. But I have come to realise that there are a couple of different things that people might want in their bathroom. If you are looking for a large amount of room, then a small toilet might be what you are looking for. If you are a young family that often has members from the local gay community staying with you, then maybe a toilet with a double door for privacy is what you need.

What is the best portable toilets? There isn't a single person or company that can make a definitive answer to that question because every brand, model and design are different. One company might like a certain type of design, while another might not, even if they think it looks great. There are too many individual opinions to be mentioned here but the ones I am particularly interested in are:
It's less about the concept of 'best' than it is about what fits your circumstances. I haven't found a portable that I am fully comfortable with, but they are a necessity when free camping. When buying one, you need to consider the sizes: i.e. its capacity, dimensions, where you store it and then where it is placed for use. Is it for a caravan, camper, tent en suite or domiciled in the wagon while you sleep in canvas? Then, you should consider its type and servicing: chemical, composting, cassette, etc. After that, take a punt and buy one...... or a long handled shovel.

Gary Wragg

For those that use them
What are the approved methods for disposal ?

I have never actually seen a dump point in Vic ( though I am sure they exist )

also can you please empty into septic or sewer systems ?
Most caravan parks have one and campgrounds in town showgrounds are generally set up with dump points. Many camping apps have a function to locate dump points. Not always reliable, but worth getting. If I can't find one, I empty it at home in the toilet when 'she' is out shopping! I have found where campers have 'buried' theirs in the bush. NOT very nice!!

Hoyks

It's less about the concept of 'best' than it is about what fits your circumstances.
I'm more concerned with something that fits my arse. Most have a particularly small seat and it can take a bit of planning to tuck everything... so to speak.