Portable toilets

Offrdn60

I have been looking at buying a chemical toilet for my caravan. I bought a second hand one from Ebay. (I believe it was from BCF) This unit seems like it has gone brittle and the push/pull handle has broken off and so have the two side clips.

Is the "Porta Potti" brand a much better investment?

I would like to hear what people have to say about the different brands.

Thanks

Swaggie

I have been looking at buying a chemical toilet for my caravan. I bought a second hand one from Ebay. (I believe it was from BCF) This unit seems like it has gone brittle and the push/pull handle has broken off and so have the two side clips.

Is the "Porta Potti" brand a much better investment?

I would like to hear what people have to say about the different brands.

Thanks

Mate i was thinking of getting rid of mine,I'll have to look at the brand name..Its never been used.Brand New if your interested..

I couldn't trust it floating around in the Canopy just in case the cassette let go..lmao

LowLux

We have the original Porta Potti, Thetford 165 but unfortunately never used so can't comment. Will be posting it for sale in other thread later today. Like the Jimmy's Thunderbox better for our circumstance.

Alby123

Yes I have one and have used on every trip I've done since 2006. As long as you clean it out properly, use the correct chemicals, use dumping points where they are available you'll wish you had bought one earlier.
For those of you that do not have one if you have a long drop dug where you are camping I hope you have dug it at least 3-4 feet deep, filled it in properly before moving on from that camp site and also putting a marker there; then I see no problem with having a long drop dug where you are camped.

Itchys50

Hi Guys,

I just have a cheap portable toilet from aldi $70.00 it works great never had a problem with it!!! I don't use the chemicals though, too expensive,:eek: I use plain label nappiesan, 10th of the price,:D works better and doesn't have that terrible chemical smell!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers Itchys50:D

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would reccomend the Thetford brand.
We have the 345 cube, and as Alby said, wondered why we didn't get one earlier.
Pay a little extra and get one with the piston action rather than bellows, much easier to empty.:D

stressless

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would also recommend the Thetford brand.
We have a 365 cube one of the best bits of kit we've purchased for camping.

Cheers Darren.

juddo

We have a thetford. In my opinion they are a must have if you are doing camping anywhere other than caravan parks.

ron king

We have one before i bought it the wife wouldnt come camping unless there were toliets there now she comes every were with me

Buxter

A shovel and a roll of "dunny paper" is still the best.
Took Johnno's Thunderbox on the Canning in 2009, and never used it.

Just the shovel.

ian.c

I've seen a thread here about how to empty a portable loo, , sorry but I think it might change your mind about these conraptions.

stevemc181

Yes I have one and have used on every trip I've done since 2006. As long as you clean it out properly, use the correct chemicals, use dumping points where they are available you'll wish you had bought one earlier.
For those of you that do not have one if you have a long drop dug where you are camping I hope you have dug it at least 3-4 feet deep, filled it in properly before moving on from that camp site and also putting a marker there; then I see no problem with having a long drop dug where you are camped.

You'd have to be kidding! 3-4 feet deep is way overkill. You're burying a turd, not a body!

Buxter

I do set up "the dunny", if we are staying in one spot for a few days at a time, or on private property.
The "Thunuderbox" comes out, and a 2 foot deep hole in dug. Up goes the flip out privacy screen, and in goes the lime.
We don't flush, but we "sprinkle lime on every deposit", and that kills the smell, and starts the decomposition process immediately.

Buxter

Hi, Offrdn60

These days, varieties of portable toilets are easily accessible in the online and offline market. I have personally hired portable toilet for my company event in the January month and it was really a success, my guests were really happy with the arrangements. If you want to know more about portable toilets, you can look out for www.theportabletoiletcompany.com.au/. Here you will get all the details you need to know about these easy amazing portaloos.

I have a "porta potty", and the first time I used it, I wore most of it, due to back splash.
Never again, that's why I just use a shovel, or as I said if we stay a few days, then it's Johnno's Thunderbox, and lime.

For your help and consideration I have palced some nice images of portable toilets, have a look at them:
portapotti.jpg
hitech-450x450.jpg
219xNxportable-camp-toilet3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.J4LIWSz_Hb.jpg

Hope these images are helpful to you

Aaron Schubert

I've seen a thread here about how to empty a portable loo, , sorry but I think it might change your mind about these conraptions.

I've emptied one a few times in the past. I'll admit it wasn't a pleasant experience, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was. If you use the right chemicals there is no nasty smell, which would be the tipping point for most people!

Aaron

stevemc181

Reviving an old thread! I had sworn off porta potties a few years ago after a sad experience when I forgot to empty one that sat in a camper trailer in 40 degree heat for 4 days after being used by the family for a couple of days :( I was a dry reaching mess when I emptied that one and it sat in the shed for ages doing nothing. A few months back I decided I'd brave it again and started looking for a better model. That's when I discovered the Thetford 565P! This is an excellent portable toilet that sits higher than most and is shaped more like the traditional loo at home.

The model I have is a piston type flush toilet the same as most, but they also do an electric flush version, the 565E, but I decided I couldn't be arsed (Pardon the pun) using a loo that requires batteries, so went the piston flush model. I almost have a smile on my face when going for the morning ablutions now, this thing is awesome and pretty damn comfortable. It's pretty easy to keep clean, we just put two sheets of toilet paper down prior to doing the business and all is good in the world!

No more digging holes or worrying about animals digging up the goods, we got sick of seeing the aftermath in pristine environments from people who were just too lazy to dispose of their waste properly. We had also been across the Madigan line where some toilet holes had been dug by others quite deep, but the dingoes still dug it up.

The only chemical we use is coles brand nappy san, two spoonfuls in 1/2 a litre of water and she's good to go. We've had no problems with smell when emptying this one into dump points every 3 or 4 days, or if you need to, dig a hole to empty it into, most of the stuff will be dissolved anyway. If there are others camped nearby I set up the Joolca toilet tent, otherwise I just sit it in front of the vehilce in the open and enjoy the view!

It's an expenive unit, but worth every penny, I used to struggle with my knees getting off the old one as it was pretty low, but this one sits at a perfect height. The missus had to cut and extend a carrybag for it as we couldn't find one that fits the height, and I needed to revise my packing regime to get it down low. I tried it on the roofrack,but just too damn heavy after a few days. So now I just strap it in behind the drivers seat on my rear platform and she's all good. Could be a nasty experience in an accident, but I like to live dangerously!
So if you're in the market for a porta pottie, check it out.
5 Stars from me. ;) I bought mine on special from Anaconda for $230 a fair while ago.

patrick_d

Reviving an old thread! I had sworn off porta potties a few years ago after a sad experience when I forgot to empty one that sat in a camper trailer in 40 degree heat for 4 days after being used by the family for a couple of days :( I was a dry reaching mess when I emptied that one and it sat in the shed for ages doing nothing. A few months back I decided I'd brave it again and started looking for a better model. That's when I discovered the Thetford 565P! This is an excellent portable toilet that sits higher than most and is shaped more like the traditional loo at home.

The model I have is a piston type flush toilet the same as most, but they also do an electric flush version, the 565E, but I decided I couldn't be arsed (Pardon the pun) using a loo that requires batteries, so went the piston flush model. I almost have a smile on my face when going for the morning ablutions now, this thing is awesome and pretty damn comfortable. It's pretty easy to keep clean, we just put two sheets of toilet paper down prior to doing the business and all is good in the world!

No more digging holes or worrying about animals digging up the goods, we got sick of seeing the aftermath in pristine environments from people who were just too lazy to dispose of their waste properly. We had also been across the Madigan line where some toilet holes had been dug by others quite deep, but the dingoes still dug it up.

The only chemical we use is coles brand nappy san, two spoonfuls in 1/2 a litre of water and she's good to go. We've had no problems with smell when emptying this one into dump points every 3 or 4 days, or if you need to, dig a hole to empty it into, most of the stuff will be dissolved anyway. If there are others camped nearby I set up the Joolca toilet tent, otherwise I just sit it in front of the vehilce in the open and enjoy the view!

It's an expenive unit, but worth every penny, I used to struggle with my knees getting off the old one as it was pretty low, but this one sits at a perfect height. The missus had to cut and extend a carrybag for it as we couldn't find one that fits the height, and I needed to revise my packing regime to get it down low. I tried it on the roofrack,but just too damn heavy after a few days. So now I just strap it in behind the drivers seat on my rear platform and she's all good. Could be a nasty experience in an accident, but I like to live dangerously!
So if you're in the market for a porta pottie, check it out.
5 Stars from me. ;) I bought mine on special from Anaconda for $230 a fair while ago.

Nice review!

We have a Sanitation unit (specs), it's just slightly cheaper - cost us about $170 - but I should agree that this... ehm, type of comfort really matters, especially when you're travelling with kids and a lady. W/o waste ours weighs about 12 lbs. We too made a carry bag, though some models have special bags included in the package (not our case). It uses the blue chemical stuff and that can stain hands, so great care must be taken + I always put on a pair of latex gloves. Gladly it's biodegradable.
Ours is odorless too, so we had it in the separate tent the entire trip. The directions for use were very easy, so we like it a lot.

Last edited: