Please dont respond to spam?

Another Forum I am a member of asks members not to respond to spam and there is a thread titled the same as this one where SPAM is reported.

Dont know if its true but apparently responding to it, even smart arse comments increases it as the spam bots know they have an audience when they get a response and so focus on the site.

Might be worth looking into and if its true maybe a similar thread to this to alert mods of spam where you post the spam link?

dabbler

Interesting point. I'm out of touch with anti-spam control so can't verify or deny anything really. But I imagine a moderator action to delete a Spam post or thread would be flagged by a bot as the same thing.

Reporting a Spam post is an internal forum function and not detectable by outsiders, so we should still report even if we don't respond.

Good topic.

Triton14

Contrary to popular belief spam cannot give you chlamydia either :oops:

But seriously spam & scams are ever present in many forms & needs tobe taken very seriuosly!

After James (Admin) finally made the move to ban certain countries & monitor new members posts before going live has made the difference, I havent seen a single bit of spam on here since about the 31st October.
Doesnt mean it wont happen again though, these guys are smart & who knows could bounce membership to other countries of orogin to make it look real.
One thing for sure this stuff isnot going to go away & is taking more & more resources to combat

Last week I got a sms message which came from my bank, the same number I have recieved messages from for years, telling me an unauthorised transaction had been made for $5000 & I should follow the link www.anz.---- etc.
It was very strange, checked my balances & no such transaction, rang ANZ & said you guys just sent me this message to which they resonded its a scam, to which I responded "it came from you not another 2nd party", someone had broken into their communications data base!

Basically you cant even trust the legitimacy of messages from groups you know these days!

However I am now wondering how secure the advertising is on this site?
I know if you pay the premium the advertising goes away for you but its still on this site!

I sure hope these 2nd & 3rd party advertisers are vetted by the forum for their actual legitimacy???

Warby

Contrary to popular belief spam cannot give you chlamydia either :oops:

But seriously spam & scams are ever present in many forms & needs tobe taken very seriuosly!

After James (Admin) finally made the move to ban certain countries & monitor new members posts before going live has made the difference, I havent seen a single bit of spam on here since about the 31st October.
Doesnt mean it wont happen again though, these guys are smart & who knows could bounce membership to other countries of orogin to make it look real.
One thing for sure this stuff isnot going to go away & is taking more & more resources to combat

Last week I got a sms message which came from my bank, the same number I have recieved messages from for years, telling me an unauthorised transaction had been made for $5000 & I should follow the link www.anz.---- etc.
It was very strange, checked my balances & no such transaction, rang ANZ & said you guys just sent me this message to which they resonded its a scam, to which I responded "it came from you not another 2nd party", someone had broken into their communications data base!

Basically you cant even trust the legitimacy of messages from groups you know these days!

However I am now wondering how secure the advertising is on this site?
I know if you pay the premium the advertising goes away for you but its still on this site!

I sure hope these 2nd & 3rd party advertisers are vetted by the forum for their actual legitimacy???
The advertising is served up by google ad services - The forum admins don't get to individually vet the advertisers.

shanegtr

The advertising is served up by google ad services - The forum admins don't get to individually vet the advertisers.
And being a google ad they are most likely different for every user based on data gathered from your individual internet use