Playing in the Sand Dunes and Testing a New Teleconverter

Karl Fehlauer

Headed up towards Lancelin (here in the Democratic Republic of WA) with some members of my 4WD Club and had a play in the dunes.

I was testing out my new 2x Teleconverter on my 7D with the Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8 lens (all of the mobile images) and for $150 I was impressed.

Karl

Lined up at the top of a dune (6D and 24 - 105mm lens)

2020-11-21 4WD - 002-Edit.jpg

6D with 24 - 105mm lens

2020-11-21 4WD - 007-Edit.jpg

7D with 70 - 200 mm lens and 2 x teleconverter at 400mm

2020-11-21 4WD - 010-Edit.jpg

7D with 70 - 200 mm lens and 2 x teleconverter

2020-11-21 4WD - 014-Edit.jpg

Karl Fehlauer

Pretty sharp for a tele.
How does it compare with a longer lens?

Not sure - the biggest lens I have is my Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8.

Unfortunately I cannot afford any bigger lenses, hence why I bought the Teleconverter, but I am happy with the results.

I have noticed one issue though, when using some of my GND & ND filters the image isn't sharp - even if I get focus and set it to manual, some of the images are soft. If I take the filters off, the image is sharp!! Doesn't happen with all the filters, just a couple of them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Karl

Toddyh

I assume it's the images with the filters that also little a little under exposed and under saturated. That's a pretty common issue with telecoverters.

Karl Fehlauer

I assume it's the images with the filters that also little a little under exposed and under saturated. That's a pretty common issue with telecoverters.

No filters used on these images - I only use them for landscape photography.

I underexposed as the day was very bright and lost all texture in the sand, also played around with the dehaze tool in LR to remove the sand haze that was blowing due to strong wind.

Karl

Grippy

A tele can be great fun with a short fast lens. My fav old combo is an old manual Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 with 2x tele, tack sharp, close focus and half decent reach.
Good choice to underexpose, sand in bright sun is a bitch sometimes and will blow out like crazy.