Pk ranger coolent

Ryan 80

Hi just wondering anyone had a problem pk ranger 3ltr turbo diesel I was driving home last night towing a motorbike trailer when I checked
On gauges when I noticed the temp gauge was staring to climb when I pulled over coolent was under car checked over flow bottle its full to top from pushing coolent into it started car and refilled radiator temp gauge came down checked couldn't find leaks started to drive again got 1km up road temp up again pulled up checked radiator water none in it left running topped up turned heater on drove another 10kms when started to climb stopped and checked all ok
Got a mate to come get trailer I drove home at 60 the gauge stayed on half parked in shed checked this morning can't see any leaks all hoses ok water still in radiator and overflow bottle is to the top can anyone help me please

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Check your EGR cooler Ryan, could be leaking as they are prone to fail anytime around 120k or so.
You would be getting coolant in your exhaust if that's gone, but needs urgent attention if it's gone on you.

There are EGR blocks and EGR cooler bypasses you can do to get past these issues in future, can direct to threads here and other forums if you'd like to have a read.

Ryan 80

Have checked the exhaust it is dry and sooty with no smell or sign of coolant. Is it worth replacing the EGR regardless if it's gone or not. Car has just over 120 000km on it. Had radiator checked today it's still pressurising but is very heavy for an alloy radiator, they are checking radiator further for blockage. Radiator place has suggested replacing the radiator, radiator cap and the thermostat.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
No, just be aware that the EGR cooler can go, it's on the right side of motor looking from the front of car, just under edge of top cover.
Sounds like radiator place is onto it, may be a partially blocked core.
With the overflow bottle full and radiator down, there might be split hoses between, and yes possible thermostat and / or radiator cap problem, but no visible coolant leaks is a weird thing then.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The EGR cooler is the only thing hooked up to cooling system.

If the EGR itself gets stuck open it COULD get the cooler too hot with continually present exhaust gases flowing through, and cause the cooler to fail.
The EGR unit is near the back of the motor on the opposite side to the cooler, the little pipe around the back of the engine comes out of the cooler carrying the exhaust gases when the EGR is open.

Hard to tell if the damn EGR is open or closed, until I put the blank plate in, then I KNEW no gases were flowing.

I think if the EGR was stuck open, you'd get a CEL come up and a P0402 code (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow (EGR) Excessive Detected).
Now your CEL probably = P0401, Insufficient EGR Flow.

The cabin mapper version I have has an LED, and when the EGR would normally be closed (under reasonable power going uphill or accelerating) it glows green . . . when the EGR is open (idling, cruising, very light acceleration) it glows amber.
It is amazing just how often it glows amber, which is the time it's putting the particulates into the intake system :/

Ryan 80

Hi guys any help will be great I took head off found gasket cracked between cylinder 2&3 replaced head and new gasket kit also replaced thermostat took for a drive car got hot returned home top hose hard and got bottom hose cold and soft

Removed thermostat cut the center out refit took for a drive temp was on the computer scan tool reading at 75-80'deg
Orderder new thermostat from ford just put in bleed system road test temp got to 117deg just driving down road return home hose hot and hard on top cold and soft bottom could it be a stuffed thermostat or cand I leave it out and put the old one in that I've cut center out off

andy mc

Hey ryan i have the exact same problem you did have and was wondering what was wrong with it in the end?
Thanks

ranger 10

Hi guys any help will be great I took head off found gasket cracked between cylinder 2&3 replaced head and new gasket kit also replaced thermostat took for a drive car got hot returned home top hose hard and got bottom hose cold and soft

Removed thermostat cut the center out refit took for a drive temp was on the computer scan tool reading at 75-80'deg
Orderder new thermostat from ford just put in bleed system road test temp got to 117deg just driving down road return home hose hot and hard on top cold and soft bottom could it be a stuffed thermostat or cand I leave it out and put the old one in that I've cut center out off
Hey mate did you end up figuring out the problem on your ranger. Cheers

discomatt

Hey mate did you end up figuring out the problem on your ranger. Cheers
Don’t expect an answer from him, he was here for less than 3 weeks and hasn’t been on the sit in 8 years
vehicle specific forums or facebook pages are good for specific information regarding problems