Change background image

PK Ranger 4WD selection problem / resolution

Discussion in 'PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50' started by Les PK Ranger, Aug 30, 2015.

1. DirtyGirl

DirtyGirl New Member

That is a funny story :) Maybe you have more carbon buildup or dirt in the unit if it wasnt sealed back up well. I did a very thorough silicone job on a few seams. Maybe yours is a wiring issue if its flickering? Only time will tell about this fix - but for now I am pretty thrilled!

2. amazon196969

amazon196969 New Member

All sealed up good and proper...flickering is more of a random flick on then off on occasions...it's only happened a few times in the past 6 weeks or so...warming up here too now so not too sure if the humidity had a helping hand as it was wet season when the 4x4 died previously...

3. DirtyGirl

DirtyGirl New Member

Humidity can be a pain! It seems to highlight the weakest points. I'd be checking the insulation and wires around that sensor - though I'm not overly technical, so don't take my word. Whatever it is, I hope you find a solution here soon!;)

4. Ziggy246

Ziggy246 New Member

U P D A T E

Been roughly a year since my fix with no issues before today. I'm a bit skeptical but I am thinking I need to do a neat little service to the motor. Will hope to take it off and service it soon. I am thinking every 6-8months from now on.

5. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Hmm, I did still have my old 4wd module, so this would be a worthwhile item to fix and keep as a spare.
    The second hand one is still going strong, 3-1/4 years after posting this original message.

6. Ziggy246

Ziggy246 New Member

Oh. That's good. They're pretty expensive this side of the world, and not available "refurbished" per say.

7. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

AUD$1200 (that was 'trade' price, no doubt more now too), is a fair hit here to the hip pocket Ziggy.
    The $440 2nd hand one seems like a good buy, it's lasted longer than the original.
    It is possible they had a bad run of them and those of us caught out had some of those fitted.
    Hope yours continues to hold out, always nice to move that selector and have it do something :)

8. Ziggy246

Ziggy246 New Member

Yup. Most definitely will be giving it a run on a regular basis.

9. allister

allister New Member

Mine was burnt no amount of cleaning helped
    Had it replaced cost me around $300 us total.

10. Jorg

Jorg New Member