PK Ranger 4WD selection problem / resolution

Your profile name has given me a bit of a giggle...my ranger was the target of young roaming finger's a couple of months ago...thinking I shoudl wash it off one day...in the dust down the side was written 'I'm a dirty girl!!!' ..dunno if it was directed at the car or me!!!
Well done on your fix...I did mine about 10 months ago...the green 4L lights have been flickering on and off randomly in the past 2 months tho...I will never trust this vehicles 4x4 and will never go 4x4ing without a back-up plan or vehicle to pull the piece of junk out if need be...
That is a funny story :) Maybe you have more carbon buildup or dirt in the unit if it wasnt sealed back up well. I did a very thorough silicone job on a few seams. Maybe yours is a wiring issue if its flickering? Only time will tell about this fix - but for now I am pretty thrilled!

All sealed up good and proper...flickering is more of a random flick on then off on occasions...it's only happened a few times in the past 6 weeks or so...warming up here too now so not too sure if the humidity had a helping hand as it was wet season when the 4x4 died previously...

All sealed up good and proper...flickering is more of a random flick on then off on occasions...it's only happened a few times in the past 6 weeks or so...warming up here too now so not too sure if the humidity had a helping hand as it was wet season when the 4x4 died previously...
Humidity can be a pain! It seems to highlight the weakest points. I'd be checking the insulation and wires around that sensor - though I'm not overly technical, so don't take my word. Whatever it is, I hope you find a solution here soon!;)

Hey, I did the entire pick down and clean up everything, resealed and bolted back on. Never had the problem since. Works like new!

y
U P D A T E

Been roughly a year since my fix with no issues before today. I'm a bit skeptical but I am thinking I need to do a neat little service to the motor. Will hope to take it off and service it soon. I am thinking every 6-8months from now on.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hmm, I did still have my old 4wd module, so this would be a worthwhile item to fix and keep as a spare.
The second hand one is still going strong, 3-1/4 years after posting this original message.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
AUD$1200 (that was 'trade' price, no doubt more now too), is a fair hit here to the hip pocket Ziggy.
The $440 2nd hand one seems like a good buy, it's lasted longer than the original.
It is possible they had a bad run of them and those of us caught out had some of those fitted.
Hope yours continues to hold out, always nice to move that selector and have it do something :)

Hi All

This was VERY informative and helpful!! AND I have the exact same Ranger as Les from 2009. Did you maybe sell it in WA a few months ago?

I have the same issue. Just bought the Ranger 2009 PK and yesterday on my first outing I tried to switch to 4L and both 4H and 4l came on with 4L flashing. Switched back to 2H and then back to 4H and it stayed. this morning switching on both 4H and 4L lights come on and stay on. I managed to get it to go off.

So now I think I better just fix it coz this Silver Ranger was Outcliming some old schoolers yesterday. It wasn't me, it was my Ranger showing of...

Before I replace, which way do I adjust the plate? Is it trial and error kinda thing? Or are there a specific way to adjust it?

Have any one been able to fit Chinese actuator yet? I found these in Aliexpress.com:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...chText=Ford+4WD+4x4+Transfer+Case+Shift+Motor

I think it's worth trying the cheap chinese knock off, since Ford(or any manufacturer) probably order them from China anyway.

Cheers

Get it, Silver "Loan" Ranger and Tonto.. :)

just found a picture from earlier in the thread sorry!

surely someone has already attempted to use existing plug/harness and rewire it to one of these cheaper parts??

the part in the link i posted shows 7 wires and the aussie plug has 7 wires? but different plug, simple?

I'm very tempted to be the test bunny on this, $150 part>$750
This is what I am going to try. I just want to be sure I get a part that do 4H and 4L.

Cheers