Change background image

PK Ranger 4WD selection problem / resolution

Discussion in 'PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50' started by Les PK Ranger, Aug 30, 2015.

1. ronje

ronje New Member

And it didn't hurt a bit.
    That little plastic lid is hard to get off but once you do, you can really clean the tracks and wipers and give the wipers a little re-tension for better contact.
    You'll end up with two points (180 degrees apart) on the lid where the leverage has to be applied. When snapping the lid back on, just put a dab of silastic or similar on the rim edges for water proofing.

I pulled that Dorman one apart yesterday. The little disc inside has a different number to my original shift motor disc and the tracks are different. So it wouldn't work. But its from the same disc switch manufacturer who supplies both Borg Warner and Dorman. Haven't found out who that is yet.

The only difference between various shift motors is the difference in tracks on the disc.

However, everything else is interchangeable.
    There are 3 types of 7 pin plugs. 1 rectangular (American) and 2 circular. One of the circular ones (also American) has the 7 pin connectors in 2 rows of 4 and 3.
    The other 7 pin round plug is the one used in S/E Asia (inc Aus) and has the 7 pins arranged in 3 rows of 2,3 and 2 pins. I think Jacnden put a pix of one up a few posts ago.
    And there we now have a number of easy solutions available.

2. Everyday Wknd

Everyday Wknd New Member

Thanks ronje. Had another test run down and up the driveway when I got home today and everything worked as it should! So I'm hoping I've sorted the problem for now and if it plays up at least I know what to do!

3. ronje

ronje New Member

As the "actress" said to the Bishop. 'The time has come..."
    Not much more I can add. You guys should be up and running on the issue now.
    I'd like to correct one thing I said earlier:
    "The diagram titled Transfer (5R55S) put up by somebody earlier was the key to the fix.
    Once I saw that the tracks on that diagram translated to the rotary switch from my crook case it was all over rover."

The diagram reference was to another source and not this forum. Now I cant find the other reference.

However, here's the diagram that you can refer to (or take with you to an auto-electrician) in case you need it but cant find it. If your auto-electrician cant work it out go to somebody who can.

Image Transfer [5R55S] gives the exploded view of the shift motor and the sequence of switching. Apart from plug tuype, that disc diagram in the box on the left is the only difference between ALL of these types of motors. Different discs give different switching combinations.
    I've previously put up the color coding of the wires. To change plugs just patch colour for colour.

The second image "transfer case wiring diagram" shows how and where the shift motor plays its part in the operation.

Anyway, I've probably spent too much time on this already although I needed a solution as well as you guys.
    I'm off fishing where I don't have a 4WD boat.
    Cheers.
    Trans2.png Trans1.png

4. allister

allister New Member

thanks guys for the info gonna try repair mine sometime soon

5. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

So I replaced the shift motor today with the one I bought from china for $84.
    For the first time in a few years I can now select 4lo straight away !! The old one eventually worked a after fiddling in an out on and off for a few minutes but was getting worse
    Any way , now very happy
    Just a couple of notes, my old shift motor said borgwarner on it, the Chinese $84 one says pykwarner, maybe made under licence or a copy .
    A lot of discussion about part number, I believe first bit is t/c number , second is shift motor number, third is plug type

6. allister

allister New Member

What type of plug round or square
    Do you have a pic of the plug and the link to the site for me to order

7. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

Just note this is for a Great Wall but thy appear very similar

8. Jorg

Jorg New Member

Hi all .been watching this with same problems on my bt50
    I believe the KIa shift motor is the Dorman 600-820 Transfer Case Motor
    it has the same plug
    Just shopping around for best price AUD
    regards
    Jorg

9. amazon196969

amazon196969 New Member

Ok...I know I took a while, but this gal got loads to do...and then some more!!! Finally got around to pulling the 4x4 selector motor apart and repairing (only coz it's been raining and other things I have to crawl under aren't under cover and bigger repairs!!)...not difficult at all apart from not knowing what i am doing, so gotta say a BIG thanks you Big Bunch of Beaut Blokes for your info/images, if only to give me the can-do confidence I needed to do the job after soooo loooong!!! I am VERY confident i did a good job including the seal proofing etc, however, I will NEVER be confident in ford again, nor this particular part, so will ALWAYS carry a 10mm socket and t20 with 2000 grit sand paper in this vehicle. I love to play in the mud (cause of the fault), but think I would feel more comfortable to have another 4x4 around, just in case...thanks again to all you 4B's out there!!!

Attached Files:

10. Dustyj

Dustyj New Member

My ranger has this issue, I apologise for thread bumping,
    But to anyone that has fixed the issue from home, how is it going now?
    Did it last or is it better to go buy a new one?
    I found that Rohan fella at gladstone still has them so just wondering if its worth pulling it apart of not?

11. Ziggy246

Ziggy246 New Member

Hey, I did the entire pick down and clean up everything, resealed and bolted back on. Never had the problem since. Works like new!
    y

Dustyj likes this.
  12. Dustyj

Dustyj New Member

Thats good to know thank you

13. amazon196969

amazon196969 New Member

Just do it Dusty J...it works and is easy to do!!!

Dustyj likes this.
  14. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could fill them with transformer oil to stop corrosion a slow down friction wear?

Dustyj likes this.
  15. Everyday Wknd

Everyday Wknd New Member

Mine is still going too but no doubt will need to be maintained at unknown intervals to prevent reoccurring. That would go for both new or existing shift motors so you might as well get son practice!

Dustyj likes this.
  16. Dustyj

Dustyj New Member

Thank you , I shall do and see what happens

17. amazon196969

amazon196969 New Member

Yeah mine went at 2 years from new so every 2 years approx for me...

18. amazon196969

amazon196969 New Member

Nah I wouldn't be doing that on electricals...it's easy enough if it needs to be done every 2 years...