Pj Ranger oil in cooling system

Jrrw

Hey guys, had my oil cooler gasket replaced in my 2007 pj ranger 3l. We thought this was the reason for a small amount of oil winding up in the coolant overflow bottle as the head gasket tests all passed. This engine has been hot before when the egr valve did its common thing with these, we blanked it off and everything was sweet until i noticed the oil.
So my question is, is there any tricks for fixing this. All the products that say they help are for coolant in oil but cant find any answers for the opposite. Just trying to prolong the engines life for a while, as it runs and drive so well with no overheating issues at all. Any help appreciated. Thank you

typhoeus

firstly, i would thoroughly clean the cooling system to get rid of any residual oil, ( there are products available for this, and ive used a cup of degreaser in a system full of fresh water to clean oil out in the past) If that does the trick well and good, If the oil returns, then you are likely to have a head gasket failure or the cooler gasket . Head gaskets can be sneaky, Ive seen them pass compression tests, and cooling system pressure tests but still leak water into the oil, leak oil into the water, leak water and oil into the bores etc, and alloy heads tend to warp a bit when overheated.. . it doesnt take much with alloy. Also if you havent run coolant at the right concentrations, you can get corrosion issues where the coolant passes from the head to the block,. . . I had a hiace van once which cracked a transmission cooler pipe inside the radiator which then led to pink froth pissing out of the radiator and water in the trans . . . $1800 bill for that one.. . . Hope you find it, let us know how it went.

Jrrw

Thanks typhoeus, will defs try flushing again. They did a really good flush when they replaced the oil cooler gasket. He said there may be some residual oil left behind, hope thats it but I've been cleaning about 100ml of oil out of the coolant over flow bottle every few hundred kls for about 6 months. At some point I was hoping it would stop. If it turns into a head gasket repair I'd be abled to just replace the motor with a good second hand one for less. Quote was about $4000 to do the head gasket

Jperry

Hey guys, had my oil cooler gasket replaced in my 2007 pj ranger 3l. We thought this was the reason for a small amount of oil winding up in the coolant overflow bottle as the head gasket tests all passed. This engine has been hot before when the egr valve did its common thing with these, we blanked it off and everything was sweet until i noticed the oil.
So my question is, is there any tricks for fixing this. All the products that say they help are for coolant in oil but cant find any answers for the opposite. Just trying to prolong the engines life for a while, as it runs and drive so well with no overheating issues at all. Any help appreciated. Thank you
How many km on your ranger?

pk11

Found the same issue with my 2011 PK last week (188000 k's). Coolant green as can be, no coolant in sump, no performance issues and just a bit of oil on bottom of radiator cap. Found the following while searching and will look at the same gaskets as you had replaced.

https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/7xuvn-mazda-bt-50-hi-08-bt-50-3l-diesel-manual-oil.html

Assuming your mechanic replaced the ones ID'd as GASKET in this image

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 3.12.27 pm.png

Ages ago I did an EGR blank and stuck some rubber bungs into the coolant hoses going to it and reconnected them. I noticed the coolant level drop recently and so I pulled the hoses off and the EGR cooler was full of coolant, so it's now plumbed from block to head directly - upon refilling the coolant, that's when I noticed the oil.

Last edited:

RAK

Hey guys, how’d you go with this issue
My 2008 PJ Ranger has the exact same symptoms as Jrrw
She’s done 289844km
first thing I had done was the oil cooler replacement
The problem continued
I’ve flushed the system multiple times and have a 3 head gasket checks over the past year.
Now I’m thinking it may be a small leak in the gasket when the engine heats up
I’ve also installed egr blank