Pics of your 4wd in Beautiful Places

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers

There were a couple of rapid fire thunderstorms across the home paddock last week, these resulted in quite good rain falls though nothing like what a true 'wet season' rain event might hopefully bring.

I waited a few days for the track system to dry out enough so 'adventuring' well off any sort of major hard packed dirt road could be had without too much effort, my wife and I ventured out to a couple of waterholes deep in the Pilbara land scape, the gorge systems that hold and hide each waterhole are equally stunning not only for the landscape, but also for the Geology of their respective gorge systems.

With day time temperatures in the mid to high forties the Pilbara Iron Earth was near impossible to touch with bare hands for a solid hand hold when clambering down to the floor of the gorge but totally worth the effort.

Hopefully once we come to terms with Covid-19 and a possible normality in life, you get to venture into the inland Pilbara.

Safe Travels : Joe Fury

IMGP4245.JPG

IMGP4238.JPG

IMGP4225.JPG

IMGP4243.JPG

Toyasaurus

I remember going from the airport to Karratha a couple of months after a cyclone had passed through.
The stunning colour difference between the red rock and the new growth was mind blowing.

One of Australia`s most beautiful places, pity about the heat.

Nice pictures Joe.

Joe Fury

I remember going from the airport to Karratha a couple of months after a cyclone had passed through.
The stunning colour difference between the red rock and the new growth was mind blowing.

One of Australia`s most beautiful places, pity about the heat.

Nice pictures Joe.
G'day Toyasaurus

Thanks for your comment, can't agree with you more regarding the colour change after a decent rainfall, the whole scene, land/environment simply come to life in a very spectacular way.

Safe Travels : Joe

sharkcaver

G'day Adventurers

There were a couple of rapid fire thunderstorms across the home paddock last week, these resulted in quite good rain falls though nothing like what a true 'wet season' rain event might hopefully bring.

I waited a few days for the track system to dry out enough so 'adventuring' well off any sort of major hard packed dirt road could be had without too much effort, my wife and I ventured out to a couple of waterholes deep in the Pilbara land scape, the gorge systems that hold and hide each waterhole are equally stunning not only for the landscape, but also for the Geology of their respective gorge systems.

With day time temperatures in the mid to high forties the Pilbara Iron Earth was near impossible to touch with bare hands for a solid hand hold when clambering down to the floor of the gorge but totally worth the effort.

Hopefully once we come to terms with Covid-19 and a possible normality in life, you get to venture into the inland Pilbara.

Safe Travels : Joe Fury

View attachment 72996

I know where you've been :) .....Fury gorge.

Site of an unloved geocache for 2092 days.....until I came along!

Coming up real soon on my Pilbara series.

20210813_160053.jpg

The change in water level is interesting to see:
20210813_160037.jpg

From geocaching.com:

geocaching.com.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Fury

G'day Shane

Nice to read your words, the gorge is absolutely special geology wise, just a real shame as to where it actually sits in the landscape of the Pilbara.

Maria and I spent a couple of hours wandering and wondering up in the Petroglyph site up stream of the gorge, there was plenty of water right along the watercourse from the previous rain events, managed to scare a rather large Olive Python that was recharging it's self on the 'hot rocks'

The Python didn't scare me because the bloody big Mulga Snake got in first not long after I walked away from the Cruiser, all this water has the critters out'n'about too.

Safe Travels : Joe
IMGP4203.JPG
IMGP4204.JPG

Joe Fury

Toyasaurus, it might Look inviting at first glance but both watery places have a decidedly unacceptable risk attached to them, the dark water of Wunna Munna ~ petroglyph site, has a good chance of harboring killer bacteria purely due to the warmth of the water and loads of crap from cattle and camel that drink from and crap into the water.

The water in the rocky gorge is quite deep and very cold, even at this time of year, it's one of those places that can suck you in and it is difficult to clamber out of when wet and with the rock surface being glassy smooth the hand and foot holds are all but useless, I have wallowed around in the gorge waters many times, but always had a rope/cord line attached to something immovable just to assist hauling myself out.

As much as I lampoon the mining sector, I do appreciate the crystal clear, fast flowing water they discharge into several major watercourses, very spectacular and easy on the eye places to camp up at and enjoy a nice day out, I just shudder to think of how shitty these places will be, once they turn the big tap off.

Safe travels : Joe
IMGP4197.JPG

LongRoad2Go

Just a road trip before COVID-19 stepped in.

North West NSW: Sydney, Coonabarabran, The Pilliga, Yarrie Lake, Australia Telescope Compact Array, Narrabri, Glen Innes, Grafton, Sydney. Mostly all back roads.

(Other than politics, religion and money, two other things NOT to discuss in Narrabri is: water used by cotton, and, isn't gas fracking environmental vandalism?!)

Some caring motorist put that tyre in a hidden pothole - a real suspension ripper.
Yarrie Lake (2).JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
Pilliga Pothole.JPG

Mick_Marsh

i see a perentie or at least its optional trailer
You see a 1981 Series 3 Stage 1 and a RAAF Track Tactical trailer.
The Perentie production generally started in 1988 although a few were made earlier.
Generally, they used the No.5 trailer in service although you might see a few Haulmark, Crump & Cornish, BAE Systems and ARB trailers in tow.

Laingy

I don’t think it’s hate just a factual statement

People are just having a laugh, I almost purchased a 110 at one stage it just wasn’t to be but it would consider one if it fit my needs
Myself and good mate Joe Fury started our 4WD lives with Landrovers! The only folk who had Toyotas back in the late 60's early 70's were the mining companies, so we made do with the "British" option. Many extras added and many rough miles traveled, and just like the Leyland Brothers "Traveled All Over Australiaaaaaa."

Rusty Panels

It's not the prettiest photo for this segment but, we had a great weekend trying out the new van at Pambula before our trip to Tassie.
No dramas with the van, everything worked and we have a fair idea what little mods and tweaks we need to make.

IMG_1457.JPG

Bermagui Marina in the background.

IMG_1474.JPG

Nice no frills van park Pambula NSW.

IMG_1484.JPG

My fur kid felt the cool snap on Friday night!