Photo How Tos...and Tech Talk Help

Baggs71

Hi everyone!

So what post photo editing software does everyone use ?...ive not done this before but need to as ill finally start using my DSLR

Toddyh

Photoshop does basically everything that lightroom does plus much more (like image stacking, focus stacking etc). But lightroom is probably easier to use for basic processing. Both together is the best IMO.

Ol' Harley

I use Lightroom for "broad" adjustments (e.g. exposure correction) and the graduated neutral density feature is a nice touch. I also tend to use if for cataloging, as you can add keywords to the photos at the import stage which is nice.

Then I move the image across to Photoshop. I do finer editing work in Photoshop. I find I have more control over the details and can make better selections and corrections to specific areas in Photoshop than I can in Lightroom.

Karl Fehlauer

I use Lightroom and Photoshop - Lightroom is basically Adobe Camera Raw which comes with Photoshop anyway except that is has more cataloguing features.

Adobe Camera Raw (and now Lightroom) allowed the photographer to make some basic adjustments prior to importing into Photoshop where you make more precise adjustments.

If you only want to do basic editing then Lightroom is all you need; however, for more advance features then you need Photoshop.

There are lots of editing programs out there, some are free such as GIMP and others you have to pay for either via subscription or one off purchases. Which one is best is up to you and you need to do your research as you may find that what suits me and other may not suit you.

Karl

Ol' Harley

Now that I think of it Corel pubishes Paint Shop Pro which isn't a bad suite of stuff. It's not as advanced as Photshop, but it covers the basics pretty well. There's a free trial version - good for about 30 days - and the paid version.

Photshop Elements is a cut down version of Photoshop that still covers a bit of ground as well. Not sure if it's a one-off payment or subscription though.

Bru9

You should be asking what you actually want to do to the photos I think.
Me personally I like realistic photos and that requires some serious skill or dumb luck at times and very little to do with actual software. All the adjustments and colour "correction "in the world is just icing on the cake and imo wank factor. Some amazing photos I have are just scanned from basic old film photos I had.
I use PS for image resizing smaller and larger, cropping.
My mouse has probably done about 10trillion clicks from all the clone stamping I have done, amazing the same mouse is still getting headshots in online FPS. Once you become good at clone stamping you can do some serious stuff like blend photos, take out stuff fabricate hoaxes etc. That is what "photoshopping" is.
I use PS to make up large canvases some up to 150k pixels across. You literally need a degree to learn how much PS can do it's crazy. Another old great is after effects, great for keying (greenscreen) stuff.
I use gimp for converting TIFF to bmp, simple because my older PS dont open large bmp, and large bmp actually open faster than tiff and jpeg in photo viewers.
But those are massive resolution.

Make sure you have a ssd drive, mechanical hard drives kill the experience, you can use samsung data migration to clone the HDD to ssd (in usb enclouse), its soo easy. have up to 16gb of ram if not you will need ideally a seperate ssd to act as the "ram" to house the increased windows pagfile and also the PS temp file.

For delicate stuff I would just get a heavy duty plastic box and use quality double sided tape to glue in foam padding of various densities.

Chatty

Gear lives in a Vivitar backpack - bought overseas quite a few years ago, you may be able to find something similar on evilBay. Normally lives in the truck, but can come out for walks, etc.

Lenses, flashes and other accessories I buy secondhand, by always looking in the window of suitable shops. I can't generally justify the cost of new and having worked retail in a camera shop for many years, I have a good idea of how to judge their condition.
I won't ever buy online as there is no way of knowing the condition of used items and you can't tell whether new items are actually genuine.

Post editing is Photoshop and Lightroom.