Change background image

Petrol station thieves

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by hiluxdriver, Jun 8, 2018.

1. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

In my travels I've found there to be a few fuel stations I've filled up at that seem like they're taking the piss with their pricing, then there are those that seem to be blatantly stealing from me.
    A couple of examples are
    Nanutarra Roadhouse in WA, if you head south an hour or so you'll pay 20cents odd per L LESS at Minilya Roadhouse.
    HiWay Roadhouse south of Daly Waters in NT, head a bit over an hour and a half north to Mataranka for 20 cents odd per L LESS, or south a half hour or so for 8 cents LESS per L at Dunmurra.
    3 Ways just north of Tennant Creek in NT, go to Tennant Creek and pay 23 cents LESS per L.
    20 cents per L adds up when you're filling 150L.
    Anyone else have any examples?

richardlnsw and Wang like this.
  2. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

yes

even inner ciity near my house

closest BP has diesel for 1.519, 2 servos about 2k away from that have it for 1.599 (caltex and shell) bit further to the next BP, its also 1.599

3. time

time Member

Petrol Spy is the answer :)
    The biggest thief I found was the 'magic" pump that put 22l into a Jerry Can that had never held more than 20!

Ramm and underdog like this.
  4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Our local servo tried to charge me for 30l of fuel in an 18l motorbike

underdog likes this.
  5. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

The most expensive fuel in the country??

[​IMG]

Mind you, its a freakin long walk should you not want to pay it

6. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

funny as

would have like to see them pull that on

7. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I’ve spent $997.22 there in the last couple of years...

...and that’s only two fills.:eek:

Not complaining though. I could always stay home.

Gavo, richardlnsw, billolga and 5 others like this.
  8. littleGem

littleGem Active Member

Simple business economics, supply and demand, if you have a product wouldn't you like too sell it for a s much as possible, don't get me wrong it sucks but end of the day its a smal price to pay for peace of mind of a full tank

Mr Rum, boobook, dno67 and 2 others like this.
  9. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

There's a bit more too it in some cases, sometimes it depends on whether
    company owned and operated site or a leased site where they may have
    to pay an interdependent supplier to deliver.
    They used to have several options to pay for there fuel, based on there choice
    they may have to pay a few cents more per ltr for the delivery up front. If then the whole sale price of fuel drops and they follow, they then sell at a loss.
    That's part of the reason independents are disappearing.

littleGem, Albynsw and Mr Rum like this.
  10. deepop

deepop 4x4 Earth Contributer

Yep - Archer River roadhouse on the Cape. $2.20- compared to $2.00 give or take at most others either side of them. Hahn River was cheapest by a mile on the PDR/Bamaga Rd. Bamaga was cheaper ( a bit) than others up north too. Jardine river at the ferry was more expensive by 5 or 6 cents.

11. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Travelling Europe at the minute

Works out at $2.10 a litre for petrol and diesel... And that is the cheap stuff

Never thought I would miss Aussie fuel prices.

12. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

The Distance between both is about 10 kms and over a 1.30 a ltr on average. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.PNG

13. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

While your point is vald muc. And I think it's a disgrace that we don't have export quotas like every civilised country. ( we have Gillard to thank for that.) We export LNG to China, and Korea, and Japan, not LPG. That robs out houses of heating. Regardless, If you buy 20 Billion litres, you's expect to get some discount. Can't blame the Chinese.

Now we are exporting LNG and importing it for the domestic market.
    https://www.theguardian.com/austral...minal-for-one-of-worlds-biggest-gas-exporters

Australians are dickheads.

Albynsw likes this.
  14. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

Most Australians aren’t the dickheads, it’s the treasonous, elected leaders who sell the voting public short under the guise of free trade and international markets.
    Cheers Leo

15. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

Nanutarra roadhouse has always had a reputation for being stupidly expensive for as long as I've lived in the Pilbara. The food prices there are worse than the fuel prices. Although it has had a change in managment in recent years and I belive the prices are a little more reasonable now - not that I would know as I always try to avoid stopping there, but its location seems to be that if your travelling in the area you come across it at lunch time! (at least thats nearly always been the case for me)

richardlnsw likes this.
  16. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

I learnt that one the hard way......and that was back in 2006.

richardlnsw likes this.
  17. R83D

R83D New Member

The staff are unfriendly and it’s still horribly priced. Avoid Nanutara at all cost.

richardlnsw likes this.
  18. Cyberess

Cyberess Active Member

I think you might have the wrong government -- it was the Howard Government that sold our gas to the Chinese in 2007 all in favour of clean coal technology Ref: http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2007/s2026329.htm
    As quoted from the reference 11 years ago -->
    China is happy to be seen as going along with the Howard Government. It shares the belief that reforestation, clean coal technology and nuclear energy will all play a role in combating global warming, and has signed a joint statement with Australia covering areas of broad agreement.
    <--
    I think the idea was that the clean coal technology was going to be so good, that it was going to make our gas rather worthless in the future, so the pollies in Canberra sold off our energy, which they thought was a good deal at the time, even got a couple of Chinese Pandas chucked in for the Adelaide Zoo out of the deal.
    So here we are today filling up our 4wds with clean coal energy, man, I want whatever they were smoking in Canberra at that time -- It must of been good stuff. :D
    Another reference of a sale of gas back in 2002 https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/08/1028157991016.html

muc the truck likes this.
  19. RDM

RDM Active Member

Don't understand how it is thieving, if you don't want to pay that for your fuel then don't its your choice. They are entitled to sell their product for whatever price they see fit just like you are entitled not to buy it if you don't want to pay what they are asking.

Mr Rum, Albynsw and boobook like this.
  20. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

Your taking it literally like someone does with autism word for word out of the dictionary , no offence intended at all . High prices are always considered in slang as theft or highway robbery . Its figure of speech .