People's experiences with DUNLOP ROAD GRIPPER F 225/95R16 118/116S Tyres

rob_macca67

Guys...
Just looking around for options in getting a spare set of tyres. I'm looking at a high profile tyre (skinny) with an A/T to M/T tread pattern. I've come to realise that the base model 70's come out in a 225/95/16 size tyre and it got me thinking that most owners would swap out these tyres for a wider tyre, so maybe there maybe an option to pick up a set for a good price...

I use to run the Dunlop Road Gripper on my old Hilux years and years ago and they were a great durable tyre back then... not sure about now though. Back then the ones to get were the ones made in Japan, not the ones made in Australia for some reason...

So, just wondering what people's experiences are with this "specific" tyre? I know Bridgestone 697's are another brand out there as well

cam04

Last set I had was on a RV 100 series that came out on them standard. They go anywhere offroad, but they need big air pressure (65 psi odd) to keep that sidewall stiff on the road so they end up being pretty uncomfortable.

rob_macca67

Last set I had was on a RV 100 series that came out on them standard. They go anywhere offroad, but they need big air pressure (65 psi odd) to keep that sidewall stiff on the road so they end up being pretty uncomfortable.
Is that 65psi more to do with carrying the weight? There's not a lot of info that I can find on the construction of the tyre...
There's not a lot of difference in size between this size and the 235/85/16 and I only run my 235's at 45/40psi and they are fine at that pressure. When touring/loaded, I might go up to around the 50psi mark and that's on a 110Defender which would be around the 3.5T I guess when loaded ??

cam04

That was loaded up. It was a work vehicle which was always loaded and towing. On a windy day like today, any less and it would literally change lanes during the gusts. You can make your own decisions if you buy them but there is a difference between the 2 sizes you mention. Anyone got a cruiser ute placard? It should show the pressure requirement difference between 3 fitment sizes. Any lower pressure and the tyres wouldn't last and emergency turns were a wet dream. It was more like sailing.