Patrol 4.2TD, v 4.5l v 4.8L

red hilux

Whats better??,

whats the difference besides the obvious??? eg brakes, H/P difference

Im thing of changing to a patrol (not in the near future) only for towing reasons.

junior613

4x4 Earth Contributer
Brought a 4.2TD a couple of years ago to tow around 3 tonnes, previously had a HJ60 diesel. Does it with ease & doesn't hit the pocket as much as the petrol ones. The only problem is the 4.2 is a bit pricey due to the demand for them & the lack of production....

But will depend on how often you tow as lpg maybe a better option...

Cheers & good luck in the search, then welcome to the dark side:cool:

red hilux

haha

thanks

Im not saying that its an upgrade except to say it will tow more

found a 4.2TD for about 20k

croozza

haha

thanks

Im not saying that its an upgrade except to say it will tow more

found a 4.2TD for about 20k
Thats going to be one expensive tow truck, if thats all your going to use it for.
Dont rule out getting a small truck, will be cheaper, will tow more, will carry more.
Also don't rule out a TD80 series, has more power than the Pootrol, and cheaper if you look around.

red hilux

I haven't found any cheap cruiser yet. I'm not allowed another car without selling mine. 1 in 1 out

Found a 1999 auto patrol 4.5 l for 8500, It's Boost's birthday today. Four years old

I've heard some where the 4.8s have bigger brakes. Is that true??

robin

Hi Red

Have used 4800's since they came out end of 2001 , they were a real revolution then and still one of the best around.

The 4800's have larger brakes than all the other patrols.

They also have massively more power and massively more torque than any of the diesels.

In fact a 4800 has more low down torque at 1000 RPM than the 4.2 does at its maximum.

The 4800 does use less fuel than the 4500 but 33% more than the 4.2 on a run.

Once took 3 Patrols a GQ , GU 4.2 and 4800 down Victorias border track in a comparo.

The lack of pull in the 4.2 saw it constantly working hard and at the end of the day it only used 17% less fuel than the Petrol 4800.

I have both a manual and an auto 4800 , the auto is faster off the line but the more efficent manual takes nearly 2 seconds less in the vital overtaking 80-110km zone.

The 4800 get to 100 in 10-11 secs whereas the 4.2's take 20 seconds plus and even the 3lt
takes 16 seconds.

I wouldn't own any car that takes more than 12- 13 seconds - just to dangerous for overtaking and towing.

As a tow car , it isn't easy to pick between the manual and auto.

The manual clearly uses less fuel and doesn't even feel light loads so unless the tow loads was a couple of tons plus I 'd go for my manual with its larger rear diff.

Overall the auto uses less fuel on open road , but a lot more around town.

For my quiet driving style the manual averages 16.4 , and auto 17.1 to date.

Both 4800's are much quieter than the diesels as well.

Overall life cycle costs to run make the 4800 cheaper than the 4.2

croozza

I haven't found any cheap cruiser yet. I'm not allowed another car without selling mine. 1 in 1 out

Found a 1999 auto patrol 4.5 l for 8500, It's Boost's birthday today. Four years old

I've heard some where the 4.8s have bigger brakes. Is that true??

So it is not just a tow vehicle then.
Check out below

http://www.carsguide.com.au/search/?N=4294962119+477+417++492+++4294966762&Nf=pPrice|LTEQ%2020000&type=cars&rs=bs

http://www.carsguide.com.au/search/?N=4294962119+477+417++490+++4294966872&Nf=pPrice|LTEQ%2020000&type=cars&rs=bs

You will have to copy and paste as they are search results for WA for the Cruiser and Patrol.

Dont rule out a naturally asp diesel 80 series, with a bit of tinkering with the injector pump, and a nice exhaust, will be just as quick as a forced induction Patrol. That is all I did when I had my diesel 80 series, and it still was quicker than my mates supercharged 4.2 diesel Patrol.

red hilux

Thank you Robin, exactly what I was after

One question I have after your post was about the rear diff. What's the difference?? How much smaller is the auto??

Also are there any engine problems between the models ??

Thank you crooza. I have been looking at Toyota aswell. Im not fixed to either fuel, but looking at both

What problems are there with the landcruiser engines. Noticed quite a few 4.5 petrol engine advertised having a new head. Are they prone to engine troubled??

red hilux

At the end of the day the only reason I'm changing cars is the patrol has a 3.5 ton yow capacity, mine had a 1.5 ton. That is the only reason for changing. When I do change I would like to get a newer car.

One of my cousins has a gq 4.2 diesel na for sale for 5k, long range tank etc does 1000 k per tank, financially that's a better option as I would be infront when I sell mine, but it's an old car

robin

Interesting about the diffs , most manual Patrols came with a huge 10 inch (260mm) diff whereas the autos came with a 9 inch (233mm), which is still pretty big.
Autos are easier on diffs.

Funny thing was that the diesel 4.2 's are manual only and had the smaller 9 inch, guess it
goes with the lower engine output.

All of those Patrols are great for big loads though as they have higher fundamental stability
than other makes with longer wheelbases and higher tilt table angles.

Thank you Robin, exactly what I was after

One question I have after your post was about the rear diff. What's the difference?? How much smaller is the auto??

Also are there any engine problems between the models ??

Thank you crooza. I have been looking at Toyota aswell. Im not fixed to either fuel, but looking at both

What problems are there with the landcruiser engines. Noticed quite a few 4.5 petrol engine advertised having a new head. Are they prone to engine troubled??

croozza

The 4.5 cruiser engine is a very strong motor, very hard to kill, some did have head gasket problems, but only became a problem when the servicing was not up to scratch, as they need good clean coolant, the ones you have seen that have had the head done could be because they left it for too long before fixing the gasket, this may have then caused the head to warp or the head was not taken off correctly.

robin

Are there any problems with the auto's in the patrol, 4.5 and 4.8 models??

They are different boxes - the 4800 box is a slick 5 speed with 2 stage lockup convertors, a much more modern design, and introduced tiptronic tranmission into this class of car.

No know generic problems at all .

red hilux

are there any problems with fitting LPG to either modesl??

what about towing witht he 2 models?? Can the be safely driving while in "D" or is it not safe to drive in over drive while towing a load???

ball12

4.8 lots of power but sucks the juice so bad that im selling mine, out of the 135L tank it has i can just get 650klm wich is very average. around town i will spend about $10 a day doing my rounds to work and back which is only 12klm!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 4.2 is more expensive and very prone to overheating when towing loads. my mate tows his comp truck with one and has to stop very often to let it cool. same as a few other mates with the 4.2's. the gq 2.8 diesel with an aftermarket turbo kit will do a much better towing job and wont break the bank buying one and setting it up.

dont even bother considering a 4.5 you will regret it, sell it and probably end up buying the 4.8. they are a lot more thirsty, less power and arent as nice to drive.

auto 4.8's when towing will need a bigger tranny cooler, if your towing 2 tonne plus it will cook the gearbox after hard use which equals big$$$$$$$$$$$$

you can put a 4.8 on gas but you will have to get a VERY good setup as these engines dont take to gas to0 well, because it burns so much hotter the valves wear quickly and end up causing valve seat recession and need to be adjusted pretty much every 40 000KLM. which is another big $$$ thing you have to think about. a good way to see if a 4.8's valves are fine is to listen to the idle at first start up when the engine is cold. if the idle is nice and smooth and doesnt fluctuate then the valves SHOULD be ok. if the idle is all over the place and isnt smooth walk away before you get a very expensive repair bill.