Patriot needs a new vehicle! Advice wanted

Patriot

Administrator
Hi guys and gals,

I looked at an old Landcruiser, but it needed quite a bit of work, so I passed on it. So now I am in the market for something cheap and hopefully not too nasty.

I have the Patriot, which I am very happy with for cruising around. What I wanted is a vehicle that will only be used for offroad. Ideally I will get it lifed and put a nice set of muddies on it.

I want to spend less than $5,000, so I have a little money left for mods. I know I am not going to get a new Hummer for that price, but I am looking for a bit of advice as to what people have had experience with. I can get a 10 - 15 year old Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee, but I am not set on a Jeep, and I am open to other suggestions.

Please suggest something so that I can run amuck at O'Tooles in Novermber :)

Thanks

James

Last edited:

4X4

James,

For that sort of money you are probably looking at a 60 series or a GQ Patrol. Goodluck with it!;)

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
For those dollers, PATROL! GQ. Coil springs to start with. Cheapa to mod! Stronger diffs, CV's and box. Any truck of that vintage will by be a bit tired in the donk, does'nt matter what you get. Have fun!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pure Yobbo

For those dollers, PATROL! GQ. Coil springs to start with. Cheapa to mod! Stronger diffs, CV's and box. Any truck of that vintage will by be a bit tired in the donk, does'nt matter what you get. Have fun!:rolleyes:

I agree with the Snowman. Buy a GQ Patrol - cheap mods look for a 4.2 Diesel - they go forever.

I still have a 4.2 in our 05 wagon so they are still sort of current - of couse mine is Turbo intercooled so that make a bit of a difference. But they are a good strong rig coil sprung and really cheap mods.

Chat to Remus on here about modding Jeeps - costs a bomb - but flip side of the coin they go almost anywhere.

Good luck with your hunt - let us know if you find something up here you want us Patrol boys to look at for you.

Cheers

Tats

Yeah Patriot, you can't go past the Nissan for strength and reliability.;) Don't get me wrong, I love my Renegade, and for the more passive 4wding that I do now it is more than capable:D, but experience has taught me "Nissan" if I'm going to get into the hard stuff again:eek:. I've had two Range Rovers and a shorty 'Cruiser besides an MQ Patrol (diesel, 1980 model), (plus a whole lot of peripheral 4b's), and without a doubt the Patrol was king. I drove it places like Wirraba Ridge, both directions, without faltering, and waded Yalwell Creek and Ettrema Gorge as if they were only drains, and the only time I used the winch was to rescue a couple of the other vehicles that came with me. Sorry I can't say the same for the other vehicles I mentioned. I easily drowned the older (1980) Rangie in Ettrema no problem at all, and inverted the rear springs on the 'Cruiser so many times, even on simple trips, I was forced to replace them with beefed up ones off a long wheelbase Tojo. This affected the rear wheel travel quite a lot. Best of luck in your choice.

Tats:cool:

sdollery

Go the GQ if you want a full size job. I'm looking for the same sort of thing but I'm going for a Suzuki. Cheap to buy, mod and run! Have fun looking!

grit

I think the type of rig really depends on the type of 4 wheelin you want to do. The big money always comes with the mods. Knowing what mods you will need before you buy, to achieve the results you're after, will pay dividends in the long run. There are often a lot of hidden costs in doing it right, go see the guys that do the mods in your area and make a list before you start. Many do mods a couple of times or more before getting it just right so it pays to do your homework and you will be glad you did when you're out on the trails.

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Hi James
I am not sure that my neighbor's 60 series needed that much work. There were some things that would be covered by the RWC, anyway, it's gone now. If I had some extra cash, I would have bought it to give my Pathfinder a rest from off road, a bit more lift, lokka and some 33's MT would make it a good off roader.

There's an 90s Pajero LWB in Bayles but I am not sure if it's for sale. It has no number plates on it.

Like the others have said, you can't go past a 60 or 80 series Cruiser or Patrol.

Nick

Patriot

Administrator
I have been looking through carsales.com and everything seems pretty old for that price. May extend my budget a little.

Looking at something like a Grand Cherokee. A bit of lift and a decent set of muddies. The car will be used to take the family out bush only, not for anything else. We probably don't want to be able to do insane tracks. To tell you the truth, we would be happy with something that can handle what the Patriot struggles a bit with. I think we just need something with a little extra lift and a decent set of tyres and low range. Any thoughts? I did not that mods would be expensive for Jeeps to get modded, will see if I can get some prices soon. If I get a Jeep for this price, I wont be able to get diesel :(

Still looking at Patrols and Cruisers.

James

Last edited:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
My dad has a 2000 grande cherokee! 165000 km. Beautiful car. 4.7 lt. Hardly been off road. Treated with kit gloves! SOFT AS CHEESE! Front dif gone! input shaft(bent from factory!), crown wheel & pinion gears, bearing, front drive shaft, $2500.00 (no unis!!) $5000.00 on front drive alone! Took 4 go's to diagnose worn out drive shaft!:mad: Air con. chip! $1200.00!!:eek: Radiator $740.00!!:eek: Caught fire!!:mad: (should have let the pila burn!) Flash electric seats! move on their own when you're driving! Due to the "quadra_trak system" apparantly, if you change 1 tyre, you should change them all!! According to JEEP, if you don't, it can bind the center diff!:confused: Something else but I just forgot!

Had my first breakdown on the patrol today! 220000 km. :eek:Yup, blew the left headlight bulb! I think I might have to change the original brakepads by 250000 km. spewin bout that!!:rolleyes:

Wana know what I really think of JEEPS!!!!:mad: I'd rather own a cruiser or cut of my nu....:rolleyes:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
My dad has a 2000 grande cherokee! 165000 km. Beautiful car. 4.7 lt. Hardly been off road. Treated with kit gloves! SOFT AS CHEESE! Front dif gone! input shaft(bent from factory!), crown wheel & pinion gears, bearing, front drive shaft, $2500.00 (no unis!!) $5000.00 on front drive alone! Took 4 go's to diagnose worn out drive shaft!:mad: Air con. chip! $1200.00!!:eek: Radiator $740.00!!:eek: Caught fire!!:mad: (should have let the pila burn!) Flash electric seats! move on their own when you're driving! Due to the "quadra_trak system" apparantly, if you change 1 tyre, you should change them all!! According to JEEP, if you don't, it can bind the center diff!:confused: Something else but I just forgot!

Had my first breakdown on the patrol today! 220000 km. :eek:Yup, blew the left headlight bulb! I think I might have to change the original brakepads by 250000 km. spewin bout that!!:rolleyes:

Wana know what I really think of JEEPS!!!!:mad: I'd rather own a cruiser or cut of my nu....:rolleyes:

Oh yeah! It's now on the market! It's value is about $12,000.00!!!!!!!!!:mad: JOKE!!

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
James

You could ask for advice on Jeep mods here MJOC - We get 'em dirty. They seem to have a good cross section of vehicles in their group from STD to insane!
The one on Carsales looks nice, should be able to do something with it. As you said, just need a little lift and some muddies, it's got low range and LSD too! Should suit your needs ok.
Frosty dad may have got a Friday car.... Lots of bad luck tho.

Nick

Patriot

Administrator
Yeah, I am going to ask some Jeep experts. Whilst I know what I want to do with the car, I also know how likely I am to succumb to 'yeah, we **should** be able to get through that, and pushing the car just that little bit further than we should have, so I do want something that can take a little punishment. Something like your Pathfinder, Nick, it has proved itself to be move than capable :) (much to centaurs embarrassment!!)

Cheers,

James

Last edited:

Patriot

Administrator
Yeah, I have been thinking about that, but what i REALLY need is a vehicle in which minor panel damage = really good fun. In the Patriot it = mildly amusing until my wife finds sees it, and then it's not quite so funny :(

James

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
park so the damage is on the blind side, then go shopping, then come back cursing "look what someone did with their shopping trolley"