Oztrail 80L dual zone fridge/freezer & XTM 75L dual zone

Triton14

I like the look of this fridge, and the price is really tempting. Been doing some google fu and It looks like a rebadged version of this: https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/8...ne-fridge-freezer-with-lg-compressor/p/GH1646
I hope these dramas with LG household fridges doesn't apply to their 12v compressors though; curious to hear what others reckon:
https://www.facebook.com/LgRefrigerators/
Personally that 'LG' badge is the only thing making me hesitant to pull the trigger on one coz from what I've seen it otherwise looks to be a really good value for money fridge?
How do you know the Oz trail is a rebadged brass monkey & not the brass monkey a rebadged Oztrail ;)

Interesting on the class action.

Still while I am only guessing a 12V compressor would be a different unit being used in 240V large household fridges.

Longjake80two

How do you know the Oz trail is a rebadged brass monkey & not the brass monkey a rebadged Oztrail ;)

Interesting on the class action.

Still while I am only guessing a 12V compressor would be a different unit being used in 240V large household fridges.
Heh - you got me. But, what if they're both just rebadges of something else o_O

I'm probably looking too much into this. I've bought cheaper gear before (eg, XTM stuff from BCF) without a thought and never had an issue with any of it. The only gear that's given me grief is the odd LG appliance I've bought that died pretty much as soon as the warranty ran out. We switched from selling Samsung monitors at work to LG and the warranty claims have definitely gone up, so I guess my LG life has not been good.

But I have mates whose houses are full of LG stuff and they swear by it. And no doubt you're right - an 80L 12v fridge is going to use a completely different compressor to a big 110v / 240v household fridge. And damn it, I like the look of that Oztrail fridge...

Triton14

Heh - you got me. But, what if they're both just rebadges of something else o_O
Hahaha

The only one who can answer that would be some LG executive in South Korea or China ;)

It's like t he majority of things these days, assembled somewhere from part made in 4 to 10 countries?

boobook

Hahaha

The only one who can answer that would be some LG executive in South Korea or China ;)

It's like t he majority of things these days, assembled somewhere from part made in 4 to 10 countries?

I'd say they are both rebadged from the famous Foshan Alpicool fridge company in China. :rolleyes:

Triton14

I'd say they are both rebadged from the famous Foshan Alpicool fridge company in China. :rolleyes:

Knew it had to be something like that :)

Triton14

Just a bit of an update on the Oztrail 80ltr dual.

So finally went for a quick overnighter to a friends place & although not camping I wanted to take the fridge just to see how it went for a bit of a test(1st use really).
I wasnt really taking much food so only used one side as a fridge but set both sides to 3*c.

I didnt pre chill the unit which I would do if going on a proper trip plus my aux wasnt fully charged as I hadnt been for a long drive in a while or had it plugged into a 240v charger so when I plugged the fridge in it was 12.5v & I could see it dropping fairly quickly so I just put my pre chilled food into the smaller side & off I went.

Drove 2.75hrs to destination & when turning the vehicle off the 140Ah Giant AGM(everyone tells me its more like 120Ah at 32.2kg!) was at 12.90v & took the food out.

I kept an eye on the usage while I was through the victron app(turned on my MPPT 100/20) as I didnt know if I would need to use my solar blanket, as mentioned it was a quick trip so I left 7 hours later.
I checked again before starting the car to drive home, the voltage was 12.70v so over 20hrs it had only consumed .20 volts which I though was pretty good. So as a guestimation as it was I would say consumption for a 24hr period would be approx .25v so again again guestimating with just running the fridge through my system it looks like I could run the fridge for a possible 5 days if I can start the trip with the battery fully charged of 13.3v.

This will be reduced with the opening the fridge & food in it but I guess I am looking for a max baseline for starters.

When I arrived home with the unit still running the AGM battery was back up to 13.3V.

Obviuosly I am aware I was running the fridge empty for 7 hours & also not using one side as a freeze which would make a big difference, Im also sure pre chilling it & also adding chilled food before departure will reduce consumption on start up & initial running.

So just a small test, next time I'm hoping to get away for a longer trip & I will continue to test consumption of the fridge with also using my DBS for other powing items like camp led lights etc.

mtbottleofwine

Unfortunately I had to cancel a 5 day trip I had planned due to CV19 restrictions which was going to test my whole system including the fridge & haven't had the chance to get out since.
So no real feedback for you yet sorry.

When running it for the 1st time empty under 12v it got down to -22 in just 10 minutes which I thought was pretty good but I know any fridge can probably do that empty?

All I can say is the unit looks great & it's running gear is by LG which have a pretty decent name in refrigeration which is part of the reason I went with this & not other brands in the same price range.

Hi Triton 14, since your last post, have you had a chance to field test it? This is a contender for my next purchase. Just to add.....I should have read the remaining posts, good info from your last post on Friday 19th Feb.

Last edited:

MrMiller

Mate I just bought the 45lt. I know it's smaller but tested in garage at 2deg with half full of beer for 24hrs and only drawn 18a/h . 20 - 25 and temp.
Ive had a evakool 63l for last 4 years
And it's thirsty. Same test would use around 36ah over 24 hrs.
Last week with a hot day the evakool chewed 60ah at 2 deg. Over 24hrs Car wasnt ventilated well but still very high
Early days but looking promising for the oztrail fridges. Well made. .
Only negative so far is tie down points are on transit bag . I'd prefer to use handles.
How is the 45l holding up? I’m looking at picking one up...

zutta

How is the 45l holding up? I’m looking at picking one up...
Mate I love it. So efficient.
It's just set and forget .
Just sold my 63 lt evakool(ridge ryder )
And picked up the 80lt oztrail today for camper.
Got the watt meter on it now doing a 24 HR test with both sides on 2deg.
yeah they might not last 25years but who cares for the price.

Bigfish1

Mate I love it. So efficient.
It's just set and forget .
Just sold my 63 lt evakool(ridge ryder )
And picked up the 80lt oztrail today for camper.
Got the watt meter on it now doing a 24 HR test with both sides on 2deg.
yeah they might not last 25years but who cares for the price.

Make sure you put the results up. Also whether you had fridge empty or full plus ambient temperature. Good luck, hopefully it performs well.

zutta

So here are the 24hr test results from the oztrail 80lt fridge. Actually did better than I thought compared to the oztrail45lt when I tested. It did an avg of .75a/h over 24 hrs. .

80lt both side on 2 degs
Ambient temps in garage 24-30degs
Voltage 13.5v.
Total usage 20.5 ah
Avg amps per hour .85
Opened lids 6 times
Fridge was at temp with water cold at the start .
Hope this helps out :)

Attachments

• IMG20210309172917.jpg
    IMG20210309172917.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG20210308155440.jpg
    IMG20210308155440.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG20210308155618.jpg
    IMG20210308155618.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

Triton14

So here are the 24hr test results from the oztrail 80lt fridge. Actually did better than I thought compared to the oztrail45lt when I tested. It did an avg of .75a/h over 24 hrs. .

80lt both side on 2 degs
Ambient temps in garage 24-30degs
Voltage 13.5v.
Total usage 20.5 ah
Avg amps per hour .85
Opened lids 6 times
Fridge was at temp with water cold at the start .
Hope this helps out :)

So your starting volts were 13.5 so what was the voltage of the battery after the 24hrs that your gauging your usage from?

What size is your battery & type?

zutta

It's a test off Power supply mate that @13.5 volts
My lithium would be close to a few points of the power supply.
But using an Agm you voltage will be more around 12.6 and over 24 hrs results would be more usage but minimal.

Bigfish1

Constant power supply of 13.5 helps with a lower power usage. They are good figures, for sure. Actually I,m a little surprised. I,m used to running fridges in Australia,s North. Good price and if reliable would be a fridge worth considering. If anything goes wrong who do you see about warranty?

zutta

Constant power supply of 13.5 helps with a lower power usage. They are good figures, for sure. Actually I,m a little surprised. I,m used to running fridges in Australia,s North. Good price and if reliable would be a fridge worth considering. If anything goes wrong who do you see about warranty?
Back to anaconda Instore I believe.

zutta

Freezer left side -16 deg
Fridge right side 2 deg
Same amb temps
24 hrs

Attachments

• IMG20210310175619.jpg
    IMG20210310175619.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2021-03-10-19-58-56-18.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-10-19-58-56-18.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

Ger08

Thanks for the information that’s has been posted, it has been really useful to me. One thing I have just found out is that the fridges have a thermal cut out - The electrics in the fridge have an automatic shut off system if the unit reaches a certain temperature.

Colly1

I have the 80L really happy with how fast it cools how quiet it is and doesnt draw much power

Only lil issue is when the freezer/ left side is running it keeps the fridge side anywere from 0-1 degrees with fridge side off i cant even have it set on 3-4 for a fridge cause it wont change really annoying it works great if both sides are used as a fridge tho
Anyone else have these issues?