Oztrail 80L dual zone fridge/freezer & XTM 75L dual zone

Triton14

Hi guys, did a search but couldnt find anything exsisting on this so thought Id ask.

There are sales on at multiple stores atm & these fridge/freezers are going for a very good price, just wondering if anyone who has one could pass on their feedback?

I've done a google review search pretty much come up empty on that as well.

Id have to think the claims on the average draw of the Oztrail @ 1Ah would be total BS but just wondering if they are reliable & of decent quality for a cheaper unit in comparison to say Engel or even Weaco, Evacool etc??

I've read of bad stories about Evacool, XTM(I think Evacool & XTM are the same?), kings etc having various issues.

Thats why I am leaning towards the Oztrail??

Of course everything is about budget, best bang for the buck not going into to much debt.
While I get that quality should mean longevity surely some of these cheaper units are half decent?

Anyway these sale are just for this weekend so some quick feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

barcher

Hi guys, did a search but couldnt find anything exsisting on this so thought Id ask.

There are sales on at multiple stores atm & these fridge/freezers are going for a very good price, just wondering if anyone who has one could pass on their feedback?

I've done a google review search pretty much come up empty on that as well.

Id have to think the claims on the average draw of the Oztrail @ 1Ah would be total BS but just wondering if they are reliable & of decent quality for a cheaper unit in comparison to say Engel or even Weaco, Evacool etc??

I've read of bad stories about Evacool, XTM(I think Evacool & XTM are the same?), kings etc having various issues.

Thats why I am leaning towards the Oztrail??

Of course everything is about budget, best bang for the buck not going into to much debt.
While I get that quality should mean longevity surely some of these cheaper units are half decent?

Anyway these sale are just for this weekend so some quick feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers :)
Plenty of info to be found on this site, just got to do the research. Lol.

barcher

We have three fridges, waeco cf50, horrid runs non stop. The only thing thing that works well is the error lamp.
Waeco cfx30, works well, had to replace the lid, but works well.
Engel 45lt , this works good.

Power consumption figures can be a bit misleading. The most efficient fridge can work all day and still not got the beers cold.
Others take full advantage of the alternator or solar panel.

barcher

@barcher Please explain
My power efficient fridge, when you put a dozen hot tins in it has to run for eight hours non stop.
The power hungry fridges can get those tins cooler quicker. Just saying if you have 10amps coming in for only six hours a day, take full advantage of it.

Wondering what bad things you had heard re Evakool? My extensive research and talking to owners and local supplier re warranty returns led me in this direction bought an TMDZ 80 dual zone last week.. yet to use so no feedback re actual power draw as yet...

Bru9

All I can offer is for a fridge best to go brands like engel, waeco, arb etc, those would be more likely to put the quality in for a long lasting fridge.
Fridges are like batteries, they are critical gear & can't be skimped on.
I did look into big dual zones like evakool & even national luna, but I stayd with multiply small 40L units. All comes down to your setup & the way you camp, for me I setup fully external to my vehicle & 2 40L engels work much better than a single, one reason is the drinks are keep seperate from the meals fridge so during cooking you don't have many people hovering around like flies lol.Even on a camper trailer I just can't see one large fridge in a spot working for me. Yeah about power consumption, best to block it out & ignore, just too many variables & better to focus on a good charger setup (big solar).

Triton14

All I can offer is for a fridge best to go brands like engel, waeco, arb etc, those would be more likely to put the quality in for a long lasting fridge.
I hear you but cant afford those names & cant afford multiple units either

I am currently still unemployed due to CV19 so didnt really even have spare cash, this came from my tax return!

I ended up getting the Oztrail this morning with cover & saved $250 with the cover.

See how it goes?

Triton14

Wondering what bad things you had heard re Evakool? My extensive research and talking to owners and local supplier re warranty returns led me in this direction bought an TMDZ 80 dual zone last week.. yet to use so no feedback re actual power draw as yet...
Just a few reveiws I read, but they were fairly old though.

Colly18

We have three fridges, waeco cf50, horrid runs non stop. The only thing thing that works well is the error lamp.
Just for the record my WaecoCF50 has been brilliant (reliable, works well, low energy use) for me for the past 4 years. Only two issues - ONE the original cig. lighter power cord plug would work it's way lose from the power socket (and from recollection throw ERR code). These power leads are all dodgy in my experience. Replaced it with a fitting that locks into the cig. lighter socket and all's well after that. TWO adjusting the fridge temperature up button is a bit dodgy on mine. Reading the instruction manual and a bit of patience and I get it sorted eventually.

Albynsw

My Waco CF40 has been great for the last 13 years but there is now signs of corrosion on the circuit board from it getting wet on the veranda and the buttons have started to play up and it is getting too cold

Kegs1972

we have the Evakool TMX65 and it works brilliantly - unsure of power draw figures but hardly makes a dent in the battery usage and the solar blanket keeps it topped up no problems at all.

Swaggie

My advice would be save a little longer mate and buy something decent
My Evakool RF60 would be around 12-14 years old, even converted it to digital for a couple of hundred bucks , they do have sales through Facebook on this model and others from time to time, they also have there seconds page at Evakool...

Triton14

My advice would be save a little longer mate and buy something decent
My Evakool RF60 would be around 12-14 years old, even converted it to digital for a couple of hundred bucks , they do have sales through Facebook on this model and others from time to time, they also have there seconds page at Evakool...
To late Swaggie, I bought this fridge a couple of weeks ago while it was on sale at Anaconda & saved $200.
It might be on the cheaper end but LG have a reasonably good name in refridgeration.

To many other things to buy so something has to give!

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Phoebe`

Hi Triton 14,
So how is your fridge going? Anaconda have another sale on them and I'm thinking about buying one. Similarily, I'm broke so don't want to throw away my money even if it is a considerable saving..

Triton14

Hi Triton 14,
So how is your fridge going? Anaconda have another sale on them and I'm thinking about buying one. Similarily, I'm broke so don't want to throw away my money even if it is a considerable saving..
Unfortunately I had to cancel a 5 day trip I had planned due to CV19 restrictions which was going to test my whole system including the fridge & haven't had the chance to get out since.
So no real feedback for you yet sorry.

When running it for the 1st time empty under 12v it got down to -22 in just 10 minutes which I thought was pretty good but I know any fridge can probably do that empty?

All I can say is the unit looks great & it's running gear is by LG which have a pretty decent name in refrigeration which is part of the reason I went with this & not other brands in the same price range.