Change background image

Oztent bunker XL

Discussion in 'Tents' started by Bomber2012, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

I was near Ferntree Gully last week so decided to drop into tentworld to have a look at an Oztent bunker XL cot/swag. They had them in stock so i asked if i could see one set up so i could see the actual size of it , they didn't have one set up and wouldn't set one up for me so I walked . I rang them today to see if they are going to have one set up , I was blown away by their reply , I have to ring the manager on Monday and ask if he will ok them setting one up for me to see ???? They have lost my business will never spend another cent with them , i think wanting to see a cot set up is a reasonable request shame they don't see it that way . After all these cots are supposed to be 2-3 min set up and same time to pack up .

2. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Customer service at its best, aussie aussie aussie...
    tell them you will buy one but have to see if it suits your needs first

Bomber2012 likes this.
  3. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

thats terrible! if your going to buy sight unseen you might as well buy online...

I was looking at one of them at Snowys a few weeks ago, they look nice but have the issue of having to remove all your bedding before packing it up

Bomber2012 likes this.
  4. Jaye

Jaye Well-Known Member

I'd believe it mate.
    At the very least, if that is their policy, the person you spoke to should be ringing the manager, bending over backwards etc, whatever.
    If they can not help you, as a fellow man, camper, bloke, or heck even a customer - walk, dont return. They simply do not deserve your business. After all, they make a profit on you, the least they could do is help get the sale done.

Maybe this is how they roll

Bomber2012 likes this.
  5. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I can tell you what's happening a lot these days.....I mean a real lot too, people go in and get the shop to unpack an item and set it up, or try on shoes, whatever, then find out they like it and go away and buy it cheaper online. I've got a retail side to my business and I want to close it because people in general are giving us all the shits. Between unreasonable customers and low manufacturing standards causing warranty returns and wafer thin margins, it's not worth the aggravation. I'm sure you were genuine Bomber, but that would be why they didn't bother.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  6. fuzzychops

fuzzychops Well-Known Member

Whatever happens they are a great product,the only issue we have had is if it is a white frost there is a lot of condensation on the inside we put ours under the awning and it is 100% cured we have used ours from the Cape to Tassie and love them ours are Bunker tents they also are the only thing that fits in our Suzukis I stayed in mine 10 weeks last year. Tassie uncut 2018 Suzies to the south 141.JPG

Michael Baker, shaun0 and Bomber2012 like this.
  7. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with the Oztrail version. Same design, I used it for about 4 years. Condensation was a problem if you were out in the open. Also, water pools near your feet if you don't peg it out properly at the feet end and it rains. The water would seep through the Oztrail version.

8. Bomber2012

I was prepared to buy it , only wanted to see one set up because i don't want to be left with an item that doesn't suit my needs . I appreciate people come into the store just to size something up only to buy it on line but if this is the way retail is going they may as well close up now . If someone rings me for a quote on electrical work I do just that , I give them a quote , I may not always get the job but thats business . Their loss , I will buy elsewhere .
    Cheers for the recommendation fuzzy chops .

9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Firstly, I can understand the staff’s reluctance to set up a bunker for a “possible” customer. Lots of people go into a store and open a package, look at it, play with it, then stuff it back in, any old way will do, and turn around and grab an unopened item to buy, leaving the store to deal with an opened box and the suspicions of the next customer thinking it is a returned item put back on the shelf and that maybe something is wrong with this item or that maybe some vital part/s are missing, let’s face, it wouldn’t be the first time somebody has opened a box and stolen a part to replace their broken bit, so opening a bunker and repacking it so the next customer feels confident they have a new, undamaged product is always going to be difficult challenge for a store.
    Secondly, I didn’t think Tentworld stocked the Oztent Jet Bunkers anymore? When I went to buy mine in Qld, they only stocked the Oztrail version which is inferior in many ways, hence the cheaper price.
    As for condensation, have just spent 32 nights straight in my new Jet Bunker, no issues with condensation, some mornings below zero, IF you peg out the foot end correctly. No pegs needed anywhere else unless blowing a gale.
    Tink

Bomber2012 likes this.
  10. phs

phs Well-Known Member

If they are not willing to set it up they might as well be online only and shut up shop

I am a regular at my local paddy Pallin store ( ringwood ) there far from the cheapest but they will spend the time and demo products as a result they get all my business

As for the bunker Bomber,
    My brother has had one for years. He loves it but only in summer prefers a swag in winter as it's warmer

Bomber2012 likes this.
  11. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Have you seen this review @Bomber2012 ?

This one covers a fair few with some good hints.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Bomber2012 likes this.
  12. Bomber2012

Fair comment @Tink but if thats the case why have a huge showroom ? Going by your logic they are better off having a computer screen to choose products and a small shop with nothing on display ?.
    Don't know about Queensland but they have Bunkers and XL Bunkers in Victoria.

13. Hi Luke,

Firstly - I do agree with you that we should have at least one of the Bunkers on display. So I will make arrangements for this to be so ASAP so you can inspect.

The reason there is not one on display currently is that the Bunkers did recently go through a model change/upgrade, and this newer stock has only recently arrived. They were unavailable for some time because of this, so the manager most likely is giving something else a moment of glory. However, these items I know are very popular in the touring/overlanding community and we do need to have at least one on display in my opinion.

It sounds as though when you rang, the person who spoke with you did not ask for your name, number or email address so that they could come back to you with their request. We should have done this, I am sorry about that. I will remind the team that if a customer takes time to contact us, and we cant provide them with instant satisfaction to take the details so we can come back with satisfaction rather than making you do all the leg work. Sorry.

If you could please email me your mobile number, email address and the exact model you'd prefer to see on display I'll go about having that happen for you. Please email this to feedback@tentworld.com.au and I'll make arrangements for you.

I am lucky however, as in this instance I agree with you on this and I do want to see us make space for this product.

However, the team who took your call were following our policy around not displaying new items withour manager approval. So the rest of this email is around our reasons for this policy as I am not able to start a precedent of someone complaining on a forum, and then me having that item displayed!

First, a little about me so you know who it is who is replying to you. Tentworld is my families business, I'm 32 and the 3rd generation in the business. I work along side my father Alex (63) and he previously worked alongside my Grandfather - Rex who would be 93 if he hadnt sadly recently passed.

My Grandfather, and my Dad both established the camping business in Toowoomba, originally trading as Burrell Outdoors. You can learn more about the business and me by using these links:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonburrellaus/ - Feel free to connect with me!
    https://www.tentworld.com.au/about-us

Now you know who I am.

I'm new to this forum, but am active on MySwag. I havent read the rules here yet, so I hope I'm welcome to reply to this thread. Typically I understand forum rules to be that you can reply to posts involving your business, but should not actively sell/terrorise people.

So I presume this is OK - admins I'm sure you'll let me know if it's not :)

I was made aware of this post by a fellow MySwag forum member who is also a member here. I try my best on the MySwag forum to be helpful, and not too salesy (with the exception of our own board, as we're premium sponsors of MySwag - yet I do try to remain informative there too - but I'm allowed to do what I want on my own board).

If I'm welcome here, I'd be keen to get to know you all too and perhaps offer some value to this forum? Let me know if this is of interest.

In regards to your complaint against us, I do understand completely where you're coming from.

However, as some members have alluded to there are reasons around this. These are the reasons.

1) Yes, our showroom is massive. But if we were to try display everything - we'd need a showroom many many times the size. I dont know the floor space exactly needed, but I'd like to work that out. However, I'm confident that our tent range alone would more than fill our shop. Then we have other large space hogs like shade shelters, swags, tables, stretchers & chairs. The bigger the shop, the bigger the rent - the more we need to sell to stay in business. So its a balancing act. We're here to stay, and have been involved in outdoors since 1968.

You might have noticed that we also have a large range of tents on display on the lawn outside the shop at Ferntree. We are maximising every space available to us to provide the best experience to our customers that we possibly can.

The team set those up there each & every morning this is to help with adding to our total range available for you to see. We cant leave them overnight or they'll be damaged &/or stolen so this does add up to a signficant investment in wages each morning setting these tents up.

We try to offer huge ranges on display to our customers, but unfortunately, because of the vast range we have this does mean we simply cannot display it all. We try our best, as things displayed definitely do sell better - it's in our best interest! However, with our large range it's just not practical.

2) Unfortunately, as some other members have pointed out. Once an item packaging has been opened, it's then determined as 'used/demo' by our customers. Many of our customers understandably are simply uninterested in buying Used/Demo camping gear - afterall, they came into a retail store, they're not shopping on Gumtree.

This item in question is also bedding, so that makes it even harder to sell for hygiene concerns.

This aspect aside in order for us to sell our Used/Demo stock, we have to significantly discount it. Typically we lose money on these transactions. However, this is OK when we've made the decision to demonstrate something, and have had it on display for some time - having assisted in the sale of many of the same thing.

3) I appreciate that you're asking why have a shop, if you wont display things. Why not just sell online? Well, we do display many many things in our stores.

But we do also sell online, as many parts of Australia do not have a Tentworld at all, or as is the case for many in Melbourne we're just not close enough to be practical to visit. Though we do find most of Melbourne does make the effort for their more considered purchases.

Afterall, there are many advantages to shopping in a physical store over an online store and it's not just to see things on display. Some of these reasons are:
    • Instant gratification. You choose what you want, you take it home and you use it. No waiting, no stuffing around with delivery.

• Easier qualification of product. Despite all of our efforts to have terrific item listings, nothing beats holding something, seeing it in its packaging in person. Even if it's not on display. Usually though you will find other items nearby that will help you understand the product you're interested in too. Seeing the item in its packaging, and feeling it helps you gain extra information as to the quality of the item.

You would be surprised how often our online customers buy something & have it delivered only to realise it's totally the wrong shape to fit into their car. This is totally avoided shopping in-store.

• Face to Face Customer Service. We invest daily in a team to operate our stores, they are keen to help and offer their opinion as to what the right gear for your needs are. Yes online we also offer chat, email & phone on our online store but there is always that extra element missing from face to face conversations.

• Easier assistance. Say you're having trouble with an item, or need assistance with using it. It's always much easier to take the item back to the shop where we can assist, rather than trying to do a blend of skype, email, chat & phone calls to assist. You get resolutions quicker, with less effort.

• Easier Repairs. Sometimes things break by no fault of the manufacturer. Whilst we're not a repair shop, we are practical campers and can help you repair your gear yourself & we can do simple things for you too. Taking it to us, is a whole lot easier than preparing these items for shipping & usually cheaper too.
    So from the above, to me, shopping in a physical store still has lots of value & if they were missing the overall experience of buying camping equipment wouldnt be nearly as good.

Despite all of this, I do like shopping online & researching online and I will too also buy things online when I cannot get them locally. This is why we strive to carry extensive ranges in our stores so you can choose exactly what you want, not a narrow range like you'll find at our competitors.

I hope the above provided you with more clarity around why we're opening stores still, and why we dont think they're going to go anywhere anytime soon.

We are genuinely here to help you enjoy the outdoors, and are keen to help you however we can. Unfortunately we are unable to display every item in our stores.

Wow, this email turned out to be very big. Thank you if you made it all the way!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Cheers,

Jon Burrell
    tentworld.com.au

14. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Welcome Jon. Thank you for taking the time to answer, particularly on a Sunday. Not many large company owners would do that! Well done.
    Tink

15. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

From my recent experience of many nights below zero, I would disagree BUT we had R9.5 rated self inflating mats in ours and quality down sleeping bags.
    Tink

phs likes this.
  16. phs

phs Well-Known Member

He has been using it for a fair few years now and prefers to take a swag and stretcher in winter over the jet bunker

Adding a good rated mattress and bag would make a big difference in any tent / swag

A swag on a mattesss is going to hold in the heat better and also breathe essecially if it's a canvas base model

I have a PVC base canvas swag, not that you notice unless you look but the PVC bottom is wet after every use

Canvas base on stretcher won't get as wet

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Tink likes this.
  17. Bomber2012

Thanks Jon , I appreciate your reply , I will be in touch.
    Cheers
    Bomber

18. Cheers thanks Luke, as promised over the weekend and mentioned in PM we do now have the OZtent Bunker XL on display in Ferntree Gully.

This is the new & improved model that's only just been released. It does go some way to addressing the fly damage problem, and also giving you a option to replace the flyscreen should you accidentally damage the fly. Previously it was all one piece, where as now you can unzip the fly mesh off the tent, and buy replacement fly mesh. So nice improvements all based on user feedback.

If I can help with anything else. Let me know.

Cheers,

Jon

2002GU3, Jaye, Wang and 1 other person like this.
  19. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Well-Known Member

A bit of a whinge from me,it seems from reading this thread and watching the video reviews and personal experience that these camping gear manufacturers need to pull back the reigns a bit and instead of churning out new fandango products at a dime a dozen,just concentrate on a few and get them right.
    How hard is it?????.

20. If you're talking about the mesh issue, Oztent have been working on a way to solve that for some time.... And the model that we've just got into stock https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/oztent-bunker-xl-stretcher-tent does go some way to addressing that issue.

The mesh panels are now all fully removeable, and therefore replaceable. So whilst they've sadly not yet worked out how to prevent the problem from happening, they are now making it possible to replace the mesh should you accidentally damage it.

Oztent have also improved the instructions around packing it away, to try help users avoid the damage altogether. Nice thing is though, should you accidentally do it. Now its possible to repair it back to brand new, rather than trying to repair the mesh which is usually a bit ugly & temporary.

It would be nice to avoid it altogether, but at the moment they havent been able to work out how to change the frame system so much that it remains functional, but avoids potential damage.

Be assured though, all the companies we deal with are very aggressive with their product development and are constantly refining & upgrading their gear. Afterall, in our stores and most independents they're competing not only for the consumer purchase, but also for their retailers purchase & support.

These brands are at the mercy of us, and the consumer. So if they make products that cause us problems with consumers, they hear about it not only from you but from us. We hate having to clean up others messes & we love selling awesome gear.

We have before today sent all the stock back of certain items to our suppliers, because we were just not interested in selling it and dealing with the problems it creates.

So while I do hear you, I do think that our suppliers are trying very hard to keep their positions on the shop floors and stay out of the bad books in the consumers eyes.

As an extra piece of information, I did spend 10 days in USA discovering US camping retail last month. Considering their population is in excess of 300m their range of camping gear, particularly for touring & family camping is pathetic by comparison to what we have here. I did find a few nice little tidbits that we might bring into our stores over the next 6 months, but nothing earth shattering. We are really spoilt for choice when it comes to touring & family camping gear.

Harry16 likes this.