OziExplorer Moving Map with Garmin GPSmap 62sc

Fred Freeman

I am trying to setup the Moving Map function of OziExplorer with my Window 10 laptop, connected to a Garmin GPSmap 62sc via a USB cable.

I am having problem, OziExplorer can not find the GPS. Would like to some help. I routinely log tracks on the Garmin and down load the gpx files onto OziExplorer with no issue at all.

I tried to do this to setup Moving Map function

1) set the interface of the GPS to "Spanner Protocol" So on connecting the USB cable, it would ask me "Would you like to go to Mass Storage?", I tap NO, so it would go to "Locating Satellite".

2) On OziExplorer, File->Configuration->COM, I ticked "Garmin USB" and ticked "Use PVT for Garmin instead of NMEA" boxes

3) Then on the GPS tab, I selected "Garmin" in "GPS Make", and selected "other Garmin" under "GPS Model" as I can't find "GPSmap 62sc".

4)Then I tried to click on "Find GPS Port" on the GPS tab,but NO GPS can be found.

Any idea, what else have I not done ?

sharkcaver

ozi sounds right, but I'm not familiar with the 62s to suggest what's the go there.

a quick look at ozi tells me you need the garmin usb driver installed on the PC:

when I ran ozi on a laptop for years, I used a globalsat bu-353 module. Seemed rather pointless to use a good handheld for that.

Fred Freeman

Thanks Sharkcaver...Indeed it is the driver that was missing. Once I connect the laptop onto internet, the driver was installed silently, and after a few mixtures, started working. It is working well.

I should take up your idea of the Bu-353 module. I use the 62sc is because I already have it for a few years, and this is the first time I tried to use Moving Map. I've been using Maps.Me all the time traveling in the outback for the last few years, and its been adequate despite the small display on the smartphone. So this would be first first try using a bigger screen. but mounting is another issue I have to deal with.

Thanks

cheers

Triton14

Thanks Sharkcaver...Indeed it is the driver that was missing. Once I connect the laptop onto internet, the driver was installed silently, and after a few mixtures, started working. It is working well.

I should take up your idea of the Bu-353 module. I use the 62sc is because I already have it for a few years, and this is the first time I tried to use Moving Map. I've been using Maps.Me all the time traveling in the outback for the last few years, and its been adequate despite the small display on the smartphone. So this would be first first try using a bigger screen. but mounting is another issue I have to deal with.

Thanks

cheers
Im curiuos why you would run moving maps on a garmin device??
Is this instead of Garmin mapping software??

Is there some advantage over MM to Garmin software?

sharkcaver

Glad you are sorted. I did the same as you first up, getting the gps strings from my garmin handheld via ozi on a lappy. Then I moved to the bu-353.

After some years on that system, I got even smarter and just bought a tablet and run ozi android on it. Been using this setup for 4.5 years now and it beats using the lappy - just too space and power consuming.

That said, take the lappy along too, cause for planning requirements, pc version of ozi is best. Ozi android for planning is a pain I reckon.

BTW, when I swapped over to the tablet, I also started running a globalsat BT-821 bluetooth module. (not that its needed on a gps equipped tablet, I just found it a little more accurate). You could use that on the lappy too - more exe than the bt-353 though. Of late, the battery on the 821 is starting to fail - I may need another one.

triton14 said:
mapsource, N-route and basecamp will all function as moving map software, but you have to have the maps for it. Shonky maps and osm can be had for free, but garmin maps are expensive. I went away from garmin moving map applications for this reason - I have tons of maps suitable for ozi and you cant run them on the vector map system garmin uses.

Fred Freeman

Im curiuos why you would run moving maps on a garmin device??
Is this instead of Garmin mapping software??

It is just a matter of convenience as I already have all the maps on OziExplorer and the license for it. In fact, I think I'll probably use Map.me more often on my smartphone, MM is only just for the odd cases, especially in unfamiliar territory. The problem with using MM is, the size of the device.

Fred Freeman

Glad you are sorted. I did the same as you first up, getting the gps strings from my garmin handheld via ozi on a lappy. Then I moved to the bu-353.

After some years on that system, I got even smarter and just bought a tablet and run ozi android on it. Been using this setup for 4.5 years now and it beats using the lappy - just too space and power consuming.

That said, take the lappy along too, cause for planning requirements, pc version of ozi is best. Ozi android for planning is a pain I reckon.

BTW, when I swapped over to the tablet, I also started running a globalsat BT-821 bluetooth module. (not that its needed on a gps equipped tablet, I just found it a little more accurate). You could use that on the lappy too - more exe than the bt-353 though. Of late, the battery on the 821 is starting to fail - I may need another one.

mapsource, N-route and basecamp will all function as moving map software, but you have to have the maps for it. Shonky maps and osm can be had for free, but garmin maps are expensive. I went away from garmin moving map applications for this reason - I have tons of maps suitable for ozi and you cant run them on the vector map system garmin uses.

Fully agreed, except to find room to mount the tablet. My lappy can be folded up and work like a tablet, but is still a little more bulky. At the end of the day, how much gadgetries one wants to carry on a trip. Once I was in the middle of south-western QLD, I was relying on the lappy to get me out of this remote and disappearing track in the middle of the night, then I found out the lappy has not charged at all. I was left with the choice between retracing, which means running out of fuel, or calling on my sat phone for help, which was embarrassing. I was only about 50K from fuel going forward. Fortunately, after staring at the starry skies by the fire, I found the fault which was the broken connection of the charging port on the circuit board, soldered it with the blunt soldering iron very carefully, fixed the dilemma.