Ozbar or MCC Rear Bar

Guzzy

I have an MCC rear bar on my 08 GU and its great, i had a couple of minor issues with it when i was fitting it up one being that the bolts they provide were the wrong size but i just used the original chassis bolts, i don't know how they stuffed this up. The next drama was that the plugs for the wiring loom i thought would of been plug and play but instead they just sent two brake lights and two indicators and two reverse lights, finally my actual biggest disappointment was that the rear carrier had to larger stud for the nuts, when i was doing up the wheel nuts supplied (they were closed end nuts) bottomed out on the standard series 4 alloy wheels, before they could get tight so this stripped the supplied studs if that make sense. To fix this i just bought a set of falcon studs and replaced them with open ended larger studs.

I guess this makes it sound bad but the fitment its self was great and the build quality is spot on, the bar doesn't rattle or bang and departure angle is improved ten fold, not only that it looks good too, its a well finished product and id recommend it to anyone looking for one i fitted it in around 4 hours (including several beers) I'm very happy with the bar itself.
Hey mate just wondering if you did anything with the drivers side of the bar where I wraps around as it is awfully close to the body. And if the bar shifted it would most likely do a bit of panel damage. Cheers

Aaron Schubert

Why are they so damn expensive vs front bars?

Interesting comment. I've wondered that too. Maybe some of the following?

- Rating for towing
- Less volume = higher cost per piece
- Heavier steel
- More design work to match different vehicles
- Stub axles for additional mounts

It's an interesting one for sure

Aaron

UncyD

Guzzy, I agree the bar 'looks spot on" but after use your opinion may change. Have you towed a van with it yet over bumpy roads - not off road, just bumpy roads? My bar moves. Did you also notice the tongue fitting is not standard and you cannot buy off the shelf a recovery hitch that will fit the MCC bar? The locking bolt in the tongue receptacle is also too small and punches out every time. You may also notice the pins on the swing away arms are only a soft mild steel and bend in a heartbeat often jamming the swing away in the open position. I cant wait to remove my bar and get different one. The MCC bar is unsafe, at least the one I received is. Good luck with your bar.

Guzzy

Guzzy, I agree the bar 'looks spot on" but after use your opinion may change. Have you towed a van with it yet over bumpy roads - not off road, just bumpy roads? My bar moves. Did you also notice the tongue fitting is not standard and you cannot buy off the shelf a recovery hitch that will fit the MCC bar? The locking bolt in the tongue receptacle is also too small and punches out every time. You may also notice the pins on the swing away arms are only a soft mild steel and bend in a heartbeat often jamming the swing away in the open position. I cant wait to remove my bar and get different one. The MCC bar is unsafe, at least the one I received is. Good luck with your bar.
UncyD my bar may be of different models it's fitted to a 2011 gu4 and it doesn't have the tow hitch incorporated, I still have the original Hayman and Reece set up that sits below the bar. And the most I tow is a trailer with bikes I bought the bar mainly for protection and for the wheel carriers.

Davec422

There's always this style.

Attachments

• F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 367

UncyD

My bar has an integrated towbar. In the attached images you can see what happened when towing a small popup camper at fully loaded towball weight of 218kgs (the bar compliance plate states 300kg capacity.) One of the images shows the size of the slot in all 6 mounting point which is the cause of the problem. The bar is not 'pinned' in position.
IMAG0252.jpg IMAG0254.jpg IMAG0255.jpg IMAG0433.jpg

Last edited:

UncyD

At last the MCC crap is gone! Look at this, a new TJM bar that solves the problems I had with MCC, under chassis support on the effort side of the pivot point (see photo), pinned bolt holes not slots, this bar wont go anywhere. Standard universal tongue so easy swap between a ball, Tregg or tow hitch; can't do that with an MCC. Losing the swing aways saves about 100kgs and the difference in price gets me a great rack with wheel carrier and jerry can holder for those outback occasions. Will NEVER do MCC again. Great job TJM.
IMAG0006_1.jpg IMAG0009.jpg

DreddEmpire

Interesting point about an after market recovery hitch not fitting. I hadn't heard that before. Do MCC sell their own recovery hitches to accommodate? I'm looking at the MCC rear jack bar.

Guzzy

Interesting point about an after market recovery hitch not fitting. I hadn't heard that before. Do MCC sell their own recovery hitches to accommodate? I'm looking at the MCC rear jack bar.
The bar for the GU doesn't have the tow hitch

UncyD

Trust me it is not just the lack of ability to use an after market recovery hitch, or any after market towball tongue, the overall quality of the MCC bar (for the Toyota Hilux at least) is both very poor and fundamentally unsafe. Steer clear.

DreddEmpire

Trust me it is not just the lack of ability to use an after market recovery hitch, or any after market towball tongue, the overall quality of the MCC bar (for the Toyota Hilux at least) is both very poor and fundamentally unsafe. Steer clear.
I wouldnt say they're fundamentally unsafe at all. Theyve met Aus standards and there's a lovely video of Graham Cahill snatching an 80 series out with his rear Rocker bar's recovery points on his DMAX. He's been using one for a while.

UncyD

I wouldnt say they're fundamentally unsafe at all. Theyve met Aus standards and there's a lovely video of Graham Cahill snatching an 80 series out with his rear Rocker bar's recovery points on his DMAX. He's been using one for a while.
Suit, yourself. I have attached photos of the bar clearly showing movement installed initially by a professional body repair company and then re-installed with a retrofit to solve the problem by a reputable 4x4 company. It still moved after both fittings. As an engineer I can advise you it is definitely not a good design and has basic design faults compared to a HR or a TJM. It has no vertical load retention so when towing a van the "oscillating" forces cause the bar to move, when snatching in a horizontal plane it is probably OK. The AS for design are very very easy to meet, read up on them and you will find a tow bar only has to be able to tow a lightweight box trailer to comply and there is nothing in the design standards I can see about movement, only whether it will carry the oscillating load. Once the bar moves to the extent of the movement it will meet the standards; but it should not move at all. Further if the bar continues to move it will ultimately cause shear stress on the bolts as it is only retained by clamping force, no under chassis retention. Additionally if you have a problem MCC will not reply. But hey, I have done my best to warn you, go and get a HR or TJM, you wont be sorry.

DreddEmpire

Trust me it is not just the lack of ability to use an after market recovery hitch, or any after market towball tongue, the overall quality of the MCC bar (for the Toyota Hilux at least) is both very poor and fundamentally unsafe. Steer clear.[/QUO
Suit, yourself. I have attached photos of the bar clearly showing movement installed initially by a professional body repair company and then re-installed with a retrofit to solve the problem by a reputable 4x4 company. It still moved after both fittings. As an engineer I can advise you it is definitely not a good design and has basic design faults compared to a HR or a TJM. It has no vertical load retention so when towing a van the "oscillating" forces cause the bar to move, when snatching in a horizontal plane it is probably OK. The AS for design are very very easy to meet, read up on them and you will find a tow bar only has to be able to tow a lightweight box trailer to comply and there is nothing in the design standards I can see about movement, only whether it will carry the oscillating load. Once the bar moves to the extent of the movement it will meet the standards; but it should not move at all. Further if the bar continues to move it will ultimately cause shear stress on the bolts as it is only retained by clamping force, no under chassis retention. Additionally if you have a problem MCC will not reply. But hey, I have done my best to warn you, go and get a HR or TJM, you wont be sorry.
Interesting. Thanks for the detail but I cant see the photos? (Not being a smart arse, I really want to educate myself before buying anything). I agree there shouldn't be any movement. Ive read the holes are slotted so the bar can be adjusted back or forth to fit. Could you drill fresh round holes once your happy with the position and whack in some high tensile bolts or would that kind of mod be illegal?

DreddEmpire

Interesting. Thanks for the detail but I cant see the photos? (Not being a smart arse, I really want to educate myself before buying anything). I agree there shouldn't be any movement. Ive read the holes are slotted so the bar can be adjusted back or forth to fit. Could you drill fresh round holes once your happy with the position and whack in some high tensile bolts or would that kind of mod be illegal?
Sorry, just saw the pics. I have heard bad things about those gated rear bars but not the stand alone rear bars I'm looking at getting but then again I doubt they'd be mounted differently.

SeaJay

no problems with my MCC bar/ twin wheel carrier, it bolts thru to the existing reese hitch for towing, and it was only around $1250 during a sale about 2 yrs or so ago

UncyD

Sorry, just saw the pics. I have heard bad things about those gated rear bars but not the stand alone rear bars I'm looking at getting but then again I doubt they'd be mounted differently.
I am sure that some other bars by MCC may be OK, but certainly the twin carrier caused me problems. I have not seen any photos of use with an off road van, so without a van and maybe just a standard street box trailer you would not see any problems, but with a van they don't perform on road, let alone off road. The rule I have set now is look for a towbar that has under chassis vertical support on the effort (vehicle) side of the mounting bolts (fulcrum) and mounting holes are pin holes not slots. Under chassis support on the Load side (tow ball) does not add to the bars strength or stability. (Note even the original Toyota bar is badly designed in this respect although it has holes not slots I would not use a genuine bar for off road now either). The MCC bar relies totally on clamping force against the side of the bar and this is inadequate. Under chassis support on the effort side is what you will find with a TJM or HR bar. I have learnt a huge amount about towing loads, ball weights and bar design in order to solve this MCC bar problem. Even down to studying the AS and realise it is useless as a guide to meeting anything other than a box trailer load. Good luck.

UncyD

no problems with my MCC bar/ twin wheel carrier, it bolts thru to the existing reese hitch for towing, and it was only around $1250 during a sale about 2 yrs or so ago
Sounds good, the reese hitch carrries the load so you should not have a problem. Note however that the bar could add up to 100kg or more to diminish your load carrying capacity, make sure you do the load sums after retrofitting this bar; the question is does this extra load get added to the reese hitch ball weight capacity or the vehicle capacity? It is possible it adds to the ball weight and the whole system may now be overloaded once a van or trailer is connected.

UncyD

I machined up crescent spacers to convert the slots to holes and this worked quite well as a temporary solution, but the fundamental design flaw (under chassis support) still existed so i was never brave enough to go off road even with the crescent spacers in it, at least on road I had stopped the movement. I also sought advise from a body repairer to weld up the holes and redrill or weld on an under chassis brace but was advised that this could void my insurance. I also purchased HT bolts as the originals were mild steel and could NOT be torqued up without stripping (MCC wont provide torque settings) and I increased the size to 14mm to match the holes (12mm supplied for a 14mm slot - go figure) Got to torques about 100Nm on the bigger HT bolts to try and stop movement - still no luck. Also keep in mind MCC do not use a standard tongue size so any HR compatible accessories wont fit either.