Ozbar or MCC Rear Bar

abw

I'm getting a rear wheel carrier for my Patrol (wheel on one side and double jerry carrier on the other). Have been trying to decide between either Ozbar and MCC.

I looked at the Powerful 4x4 one due to the bargain price, but thought better due to complaints over quality and things not lining up. And Kaymar (who also make the budget ozbar) is way out of my price range.

So has anyone here had any experiences with Ozbar or MCC carriers?

mac_man_luke

@GUnka has an Ozbar on his patrol and its pretty good, better than the MCC (better support of the wings etc)

Most of the differences to the Kaymar are cosmetic e.g. less grinding on the welds, no grips on the handles

unko84

I think that the big difference is that the ozbar dosent have the tow hitch integrated into the bar like the kaymar, the ozbar you have to use the standard nissan or after market tow bar

Reactions: abw

Blue_haired_man

I'm getting a rear wheel carrier for my Patrol (wheel on one side and double jerry carrier on the other). Have been trying to decide between either Ozbar and MCC.

I looked at the Powerful 4x4 one due to the bargain price, but thought better due to complaints over quality and things not lining up. And Kaymar (who also make the budget ozbar) is way out of my price range.

So has anyone here had any experiences with Ozbar or MCC carriers?
G'day
Have a look at raslar engineering in Victoria. Very happy with mine on a 105 landcruiser.
Cheers Leo

GUnka

I think that the big difference is that the ozbar dosent have the tow hitch integrated into the bar like the kaymar, the ozbar you have to use the standard nissan or after market tow bar
That is the difference. If you already have a towbar why bother with the full spec Kaymar other than you gain a fraction more departure angle having the tow bar intergrated into the top spec Kaymar. I looked into the Raslar prior to getting the Ozbar and found quite a few negative reviews about it and no matter how hard I tried to find out they wouldn't get back to me on whether they have wing supports or not. The other one you may want to look at is Uneek 4x4. I am more than happy with the Ozbar btw!

abw

That is the difference. If you already have a towbar why bother with the full spec Kaymar other than you gain a fraction more departure angle having the tow bar intergrated into the top spec Kaymar. I looked into the Raslar prior to getting the Ozbar and found quite a few negative reviews about it and no matter how hard I tried to find out they wouldn't get back to me on whether they have wing supports or not. The other one you may want to look at is Uneek 4x4. I am more than happy with the Ozbar btw!
Yep, I've a factory tow bar already. I do like the Uneek 4x4 bar...it's a few hundred more expensive than the Ozbar. I'm just waiting on a quote fitted. I'll see what they offer.

Sean Caulfield

I have an MCC rear bar on my 08 GU and its great, i had a couple of minor issues with it when i was fitting it up one being that the bolts they provide were the wrong size but i just used the original chassis bolts, i don't know how they stuffed this up. The next drama was that the plugs for the wiring loom i thought would of been plug and play but instead they just sent two brake lights and two indicators and two reverse lights, finally my actual biggest disappointment was that the rear carrier had to larger stud for the nuts, when i was doing up the wheel nuts supplied (they were closed end nuts) bottomed out on the standard series 4 alloy wheels, before they could get tight so this stripped the supplied studs if that make sense. To fix this i just bought a set of falcon studs and replaced them with open ended larger studs.

I guess this makes it sound bad but the fitment its self was great and the build quality is spot on, the bar doesn't rattle or bang and departure angle is improved ten fold, not only that it looks good too, its a well finished product and id recommend it to anyone looking for one i fitted it in around 4 hours (including several beers) I'm very happy with the bar itself.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 835
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 837
  • IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 652

GUnka

and lso i love it uses that standard tow bar..
How long ago did you get it? Have they incorporated supports for the the wings yet? Unless you have already done so I would get some rear mudflaps on it before you get a canary. Mr Plod don't worry about no fronts but the dont like lifted 4x4's without rear flaps.

Sean Caulfield

well the sides aren't bolted in but I'm not sure where they would be? do any of the other ones bolt u from the sides, this is bolted in place of the original rear bumper support.
Muflaps will be going back on next but i don't drive it around like a wanker trying to attract attention to myself either, the tyres stick out the guards about an inch too but I've never had problem with that either.

GUnka

You don't have to drive around like a wanker for a cop driving behind you to see your flapless then pull you over, while they're at it they might notice that extra inch past the guards too.
The no.1 reason I steered clear of the MCC bar was because there is no support for the sides/wings. I would be very careful not to drop the rear corners onto something hard or you may find the rear section of your rear wheel flares no longer playing cosy with the rear quarter panel and a possible expensive fix if they need replacing or if a harder drop it could also be the rear quarter panel that also gets remodeled.

Sean Caulfield

Yeah fair enough i didn't really think about that. Would be pretty hard to bang it onto the ground as it it, but anyway all that aside I'm interested to know where they bolt onto on the side for support?

GUnka

The Ozbar I have has supports that run back to where the tow bar bolts to the chassis. It's not that hard to bang them at all, have done it numerous times dropping off largish rocks. I guess it just depends where you're driving. Ask any Patrol driver with a factory bumper bar if they they have ever popped out their rear tail lights.

abw

The Ozbar I have has supports that run back to where the tow bar bolts to the chassis. It's not that hard to bang them at all, have done it numerous times dropping off largish rocks. I guess it just depends where you're driving. Ask any Patrol driver with a factory bumper bar if they they have ever popped out their rear tail lights.
Yeah, my rear lights are half hanging out...given up now.

GUnka

The only thing I didn't like about the Ozbar was it left a fairly ugly gap from the top of the wing to the quarter panel. Ended up getting some door seal rubber that is for a Peterbuilt truck that clips onto the top lip to fill the gap as what is supplied with the bar wasn't high enough to fill the gap to my liking. That was on a GU4 and might not be such an issue on GU1-3's.

unko84

Gunka our body flexes really bad, thats why their is a big gap at the front and back of most bull bars and wheel carriers.

GUnka

They don't flex that much. You never saw how big the gap was on mine, it would have been near on two inches and much bigger than the gap I have seen on any other bar even the original Kaymar's which these are copied from. The place that installed it even remarked how big the gap was as mine was the first OzBar they had ever fitted. Am sure the gap may have been acceptable to most but I didn't like it. The rubber body mounts would have to be compressed to nothing before the bar came close to the body. Alot of it has to with the way the rear wheel flare angle down and is not parallel with the body line on a GU4. Maybe not an issue on GU1-3"s as I have said and definitely not an issue on GU4's without flares like yours Unk.

UncyD

Under no circumstances could I recommend an MCC Rear Towbar, they are poorly designed and unsafe. The three mounting holes each side are slots, not pin holes and the whole tow bar moves under load. The towbar does not have an under chassis support plate to stop vertical movement so the clamping friction is the only support mechanism. Couple this with the three large slots and it will NOT even carry a small van or camper.