Change background image

Overloaded roof racks

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by muc the truck, Jun 15, 2017.

1. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

ROXY, muzza22au and Bomber2012 like this.
  2. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

I'll give them one thing, they are pretty bloody good with strapping down. Hope they learned a lesson
    Cheers

Spooner likes this.
  3. Chris.

Chris. Member

I don't know what's worse on FB, the overloaded rack or the usual lynch mob posting the comments.

underdog likes this.
  4. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

I still want to know how they lifted the two bikes on the top!!

5. abw

abw Well-Known Member

He should have run the tie downs inside...wouldn't have fallen off theno_O

80lover96gxl likes this.
  6. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Call me a cynic if you like but I call shenanigans. I doubt that just slipped off quietly and doesnt look to even have been investigated.

7. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Way too many people have overloaded roof racks, but this takes it to another level. I did hear of someone mounting a 270L water tank on an 80 series though, so some people just don't think.

Aaron

8. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

rof lol :)
    it's amazing the lack of common sense used by so many drivers

9. muc the truck

Just imagine you are the oncoming vehicle and that stuf came off and hit your windscreen or had to go bush to avoid it . They really deserved the flack they have copped . Some stupid people don't learn any other way .

80lover96gxl and billolga like this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

The cause looks pretty obvious , at least they tied everything down well :)
    I saw a couple last year on Eastlink in a Subaru with a Rhino Hardcase and Kayak on the roof rack detach at 100kph ?

muc the truck and ROXY like this.
  11. Spooner

Im not on Face Book , and couldn't care less about it mate :)

12. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Chinese rhino knock offs. :)

13. muc the truck

Alice spring cops are pretty busy. But you can see the indentation in the road were the roof racks hit before it landed upside down . I am thinking it broke loose they heard it and it fell off the back before they could stop.

14. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

No wonder his spare has blown out on the rear of the Patrol...

muc the truck likes this.
  15. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

don't forget that loads like that will very likely rule out any insurance payments for vehicle damage or if involved in a crash
    Overloading is not limited to the transport industry and I would think many touring/camping 4bies would be overloaded -- although not as much at this bloke . I also think this overloading will become a focus of the authorities the same way as using rope instead of damn straps has
    stuff on the roof like swags, tents, jerrycans [even empty roof racks and bars] will effect fuel consumption and that effect will depend greatly on speed -- trailers will also effect fuel consumption; more or less than stuff on the roof I don't know, but a trailer would likely be a safer bet.

16. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Most roofs are only rated to carry 150Kg, that's why people should look at aluminum racks.
    Rope, is still legal if you use the right stuff and know how to tie it off.

17. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Surprised it hasnt already. Ive heard of a few side of the road operations with mobile scales and offroaders, but never one I could say was not like a tale of the one that got away.

Dno is correct, you can still use rated rope.

18. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

This roadside blitz on ball weight was conducted in Orbost 4th and 5th of January, 2017.
    Roof racks will probably get added to these types of roadside events sooner or later, especially
    if the load catches the eye of plod.
    http://rveethereyet.com/a-turning-point-in-towing-safety/

19. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Pretty sure most cruisers are only rated to 100kg. GU Patrols might be 150kg? The 200 series had it bumped up to 200kg. I reckon carrying anything over 100kg up there is asking for trouble anyway

Aaron

dno67 likes this.
  20. Spooner

We were following a 80 series on the road home tonight , had a roof rack with chequer plate box on and a roof top tent on top.
    Add in the 3 or 4" lift and it was swinging like a dick in the wind all over the road .
    I would hate to actually take it on a track as it would tip over .