Overloaded roof racks

GaryM

Call me a cynic if you like but I call shenanigans. I doubt that just slipped off quietly and doesnt look to even have been investigated.

Way too many people have overloaded roof racks, but this takes it to another level. I did hear of someone mounting a 270L water tank on an 80 series though, so some people just don't think.

Aaron

muc the truck

Call me a cynic if you like but I call shenanigans. I doubt that just slipped off quietly and doesnt look to even have been investigated.
Alice spring cops are pretty busy. But you can see the indentation in the road were the roof racks hit before it landed upside down . I am thinking it broke loose they heard it and it fell off the back before they could stop.

ULost2

don't forget that loads like that will very likely rule out any insurance payments for vehicle damage or if involved in a crash
Overloading is not limited to the transport industry and I would think many touring/camping 4bies would be overloaded -- although not as much at this bloke . I also think this overloading will become a focus of the authorities the same way as using rope instead of damn straps has
stuff on the roof like swags, tents, jerrycans [even empty roof racks and bars] will effect fuel consumption and that effect will depend greatly on speed -- trailers will also effect fuel consumption; more or less than stuff on the roof I don't know, but a trailer would likely be a safer bet.

dno67

Most roofs are only rated to carry 150Kg, that's why people should look at aluminum racks.
Rope, is still legal if you use the right stuff and know how to tie it off.

GaryM

...I also think this overloading will become a focus of the authorities.
Surprised it hasnt already. Ive heard of a few side of the road operations with mobile scales and offroaders, but never one I could say was not like a tale of the one that got away.

Dno is correct, you can still use rated rope.

Pretty sure most cruisers are only rated to 100kg. GU Patrols might be 150kg? The 200 series had it bumped up to 200kg. I reckon carrying anything over 100kg up there is asking for trouble anyway

Aaron

Spooner

We were following a 80 series on the road home tonight , had a roof rack with chequer plate box on and a roof top tent on top.
Add in the 3 or 4" lift and it was swinging like a dick in the wind all over the road .
I would hate to actually take it on a track as it would tip over .