Overheating issue

Barney2803

I have an automatic 07 triton 3.2 turbo diesel with 120km on it, and I am after some advice from the gurus here!

The triton has been having temperature issues. When I tow the ski boat or caravan the temperature gauge rises and rises. When I turn the heaters on it goes back down again but I can't run heaters for 250km on a stinking hot day towing the boat or caravan to the river. Last week i took it to a local radiatro guy who said itd be the thermostat. my brother in laws D40 had the same sypmtoms and it was a 95% blocked radiator. So....Today I took it to my "local" NATRAD thinking it was a blocked radiator and its 95% clean right through, no blockages. The thermostat wasn't working perfectly so they replaced that, flushed the radiator and refilled it. $450 later.....today I took it for a spin with the 18ft caravan on the back and the air con on. The temp still rises but I backed off before it got to high. I was working it quite hard but really only at 100kmh. So my question is, what rise in temp should I expect considering I'm towing a 1.5-2T ski boat or caravan? Is it normal for the temp gauge to rise heaps?

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Being an automatic, it is possible the issue is caused by the gearbox. The auto cools via the radiator unless you have added a stand alone transmission cooler. The is a filter in the auto gearbox.

Something else to think about is your clutch fan, if that isn't working correctly the air isn't being pulled through the radiator cores

Barney2803

So I checked the clutch fan and its all ok. I went and got a new radiator cap (not OEM) and it won't go on properly even though its the one the repco guy said was what the computer showed as a ML TRITON one, its close but the little lips that attach it to the radiator are slightly to small:( I've now put some Teflon tape on top of the radiator spout between it and the cap to give it a better seal as I reckon it's as sloppy as the proverbial $2 h@@ker! Hoping this helps.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Get the correct radiator cap. If it doesn't fit something is wrong with the mounting area

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Barney2803

Well today was the test....towing the 19ft caravan 250km to the river and the car went like a dream! I'm very happy camper. It's obviously a combination of all the little things we've done to it such as:
-radiator flush and fill
-new radiator cap
-new thermostat
-removed the big HID spotlights.

It was a hot one today too, almost 40 degrees and the car sat perfectly on 104kmh doing just over 2000rpm and with the air con on all the way.

if anything, my only regret is spending $450 on really what turned out to be just an expensive radiator flush and new thermostat install, however it seems to be working fine now, so all good.