Over Heating Hilux

Aza013

There might still be air in the cooling pipes, stopping the coolant from working around correctly. Just putting it out there.

5arah

Hey Aza013

Thanks for your idea ... but ... um, the mechanic just rang & said the engine needs to be rebuilt.

That wasn't what I expected at all. Approx cost = $5K.

OMG.

itlldoo

get a second opinion please
he has changed things, he tells you that the motor is no good after doing $1500 worth of work,
sounds like a bit of a rip off
get a second opinion

typhoeus

Are you getting bubbling in the coolant when its running?,( with the cap off) if so, compression is escaping to the water jacket, either because of a blown head gasket or cracked head. If its a high mileage motor, then its risky to just replace the head/gasket because its expensive, and you dont want to have to do it again because the old engine block wasnt up to the job. Also many workshops wont give a warranty unless everything is new.

5arah

Thanx Typhoeus,

My car is still at the workshop so I don't know if it was bubbling with the cap off. Sorry!

The mechs said today that I *can* drive it but only if I go at a snails pace, no air con, drive in the coolest parts of the day/night ... and by doing that, they reckon I can limp to the Sunshine Coast. It's a 3 maybe 4 day hike but I desperately want to get it there for a second opinion.

typhoeus

204k isn't a lot of kays for a toyota diesel. If you take it & head for the coast, take lots of water, theres s couple of big 4x4 diesel workshops in the brisbane area who can run some diagnostic tests for you. Then you can make an informed decisipn

2002GU3

If you still have the old radiator put it back in (if it has a couple of small pin holes in it, throw about half a teaspoon of pepper in the radiator that'll block the holes) and no it won't hurt anything else ! then tell the "mechanic" to refund your money as he didn't fix the problem and if the parts he sold you don't fix the issue then that's his fault for not diagnosing the problem right in the first place...and as above DO NOT LET HIM REBUILD YOUR ENGINE - if he can't diagnose a problem, I sure as hell wouldn't let him rebuild a motor.....definately go elsewhere and get a 2nd opinion.

5arah

Thanx so much
Have you checked the exhaust for blockages/ broken baffles in muffler?

Hi Typhoeus - I haven't but I'll ask the mechanic about this tomorrow. I get the feeling from him tho that he thinks the whole engine should be apart and rebuilt from scratch, which is pretty disheartening.

5arah

If you still have the old radiator put it back in (if it has a couple of small pin holes in it, throw about half a teaspoon of pepper in the radiator that'll block the holes) and no it won't hurt anything else ! then tell the "mechanic" to refund your money as he didn't fix the problem and if the parts he sold you don't fix the issue then that's his fault for not diagnosing the problem right in the first place...and as above DO NOT LET HIM REBUILD YOUR ENGINE - if he can't diagnose a problem, I sure as hell wouldn't let him rebuild a motor.....definately go elsewhere and get a 2nd opinion.

I picked up the old radiator today from the original mech (who is not the new mech) and wondered if I should ask the new mech to put it back in.

The old cap is missing tho but my feeling is that the old radiator was running at a level that the oengine could cope with. I think the new radiator is putting too much pressure on the engine.

I'll try to ask for my money back but this is Mt Isa ... it's a tough mining town full of tough blokes who don't give a shit about one girl's horrible misadventures. Time is money, parts are money, everything is expensive (bc miners are paid a fortune) and sympathy is a foreign concept.

I'll give it a go tho!

5arah

Update:

So today, I asked the mech to put the old radiator back in but they said no.

Instead he is fitting a new water pump & new timing belt before I start limping home (1800kms).

CaptainBanana

Update:

So today, I asked the mech to put the old radiator back in but they said no.

Instead he is fitting a new water pump & new timing belt before I start limping home (1800kms).

Did you authorise that? Are you paying for it? Who is this person?

5arah

Did you authorise that? Are you paying for it? Who is this person?

He's the mechanic.

I asked him to replace the timing belt as it was in bad shape (according to the him). Then they told me they wanted to put in a water pump.

Me: "Does it need one?"

Them: "Well, if the timing belt is coming out, we'd may as well replace the water pump at the same time because they're close to each other. If you do one, you'd may as well do the other. It will probably help with the overheating problem."

Me: "How much is it?"

Them:"Only $95."

Me: "Okay then. "

I picked up my car today. As for them putting all the old parts in the back of it, they didn't. So who really knows if I needed anew water pump? Or a new fan clutch?

The old radiator is sitting in the passenger seat.

I will pack it properly tomorrow bc I am putting my car on a truck who will take it back to the Sunny Coast.

CaptainBanana

He's the mechanic.

I asked him to replace the timing belt as it was in bad shape (according to the him). Then they told me they wanted to put in a water pump.

Them: "Well, if the timing belt is coming out, we'd may as well replace the water pump at the same time because they're close to each other. If you do one, you'd may as well do the other. It will probably help with the overheating problem."

I picked up my car today. As for them putting all the old parts in the back of it, they didn't. So who really knows if I needed anew water pump? Or a new fan clutch?

I will pack it properly tomorrow bc I am putting my car on a truck who will take it back to the Sunny Coast.

OK so you would definitely change the water pump when you change the timing belt because they are related in terms of access but I can't guess whether or not your belt actually needed doing but they are usually changed based on kilometres travelled and don't really show signs of wear unless there is some sort of fault somewhere.

Honestly though I wouldn't be letting this guy do a single thing to your car again it sounds like he has Miss diagnosed it from the start and just kept throwing parts at it at your expense it's not the professional way for a mechanic to work.

typhoeus

He's the mechanic.

Im sorry to hear all the troubles you had with it, but dont be discouraged. The lifestyle is worth it. You Will see things and
places not many will see, learn things which make you adaptable and resiliant. Dont give up!!

5arah

Im sorry to hear all the troubles you had with it, but dont be discouraged. The lifestyle is worth it. You Will see things and
places not many will see, learn things which make you adaptable and resiliant. Dont give up!!

Thanx Typhoeus - Yeah, it's an incredible lifestyle for sure. I've been living & working in the Outback for 5yrs now on cattle stations all around the country. I love the remoteness & the space - but getting stranded in a god awful mining town with a car no one can fix is testing my patience!

I took it for a 60k test drive around town today at 80kph. No overheating! JOY. Dead set.

Reversed parked it at my accomm & then something whirred & screamed under the bonnet (not the engine - it sounded like a belt squealing & hitting the fan) - I turned the ignition off but the engine kept going. I can't make this stuff up. So I took my foot off the clutch & stalled it to stop the engine.

A towie came to put it on a truck & it wouldn't start. WTF. No power to the battery. None of these things have *ever* happened to my vehicle. Ever.

Lucky I didn't take the mechs advice from yesterday ... "She'll get you home love, just drive slowly." Balls. After they 'fixed it' it didn't even get 60km up the road let alone 1800kms south.

I'm sending my car home on a truck where someone who I trust (and who is a Toyota Guru) will look at it.

typhoeus

Keep us posted on what happens when you get home Sarah, hopefully it will be a series of small things which wont cost you too much to get the old girl back on the road again.