Change background image

Our Melbourne-Broome dash

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by discomatt, Mar 30, 2018.

1. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

In 6 weeks Liza and I head off to do Kimberly and Kakadu on a 6-7 week trip.
    We are planning to drive to Broome as quick as possible without burning ourselves out so we can spend more time north.
    Plan is to do 700-1000km / day for the most of the run up.
    Most of the trip is straight forward and easily planned but the bit from Leinster to Meekatharra we have 2 options.
    Go up toward Wiluna and the start of the Canning and across to Meekatharra which has about 180km of dirt and a total of 350km OR
    go out to Mt Magnet via black top and up to Meekatharra and a total of nearly 500km.

Who has done this stretch and what are road conditions like?

80lover96gxl, Spooner and Swaggie like this.
  2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Thats about 5,000 klm one way off the top of my head. Hope you both have a great trip , at least you have a comfy car to do it in.
    Take care and don't rush too much , Fatigue will catch up with you if you push it and what you saved on travelling time to get there , you will lose at the other end recovering because you will be rooted ;)

80lover96gxl, Albynsw and discomatt like this.
  3. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

700/100Km's a day for a week isn't too bad. Should pose no drama's I reckon. Unless it's rained and a cyclone has come through, all these roads are very good. Why go to Meeka though? is there something specific to see?

If not, go to Wiluna and take the Wiliuna North Road. That will bring you out about 170KM's North of Meeka on the highway - why go in there unless you have to? And you can easily drop into well 1 of the CSR on the way ;)

discomatt likes this.
  4. discomatt

5110 km to be exact but that depends on what rout we take. Would love to take 3 weeks to get to Broome but we can only stretch the time so far...
    Planning to have a few days in Broome before we do Gibb River Rd. for R&R

5. discomatt

On our map the Wiluna North Road is a minor dirt rd so wasn't sure what conditions would be like, no point in saving 170km if you can only do 40km/h.
    I am planning to check conditions with locals on our way through but thought I would get some good insider info before we left

6. loose cannon

loose cannon Well-Known Member

I've only driven the Wiluna to Meeka road once (3 years ago) and it was like a billiard table but have no idea how often they grade that road, maybe I got lucky.

If your target is Kimberley/Kakadu I'd suggest sticking to black top and a guaranteed good surface. IMHO it's pretty boring country, comparatively speaking, in that area but the closer to Newman you get the better it becomes. The inland Pilbara is quite beautiful and I'd be lead footing it past Meeka, Mt Magnet etc..

7. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

I might see you up there. I could be going east to west around that time.

8. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Wiluna to Meekatharra is a breeze.
    While your in Wiluna you might as well duck up to Well 1 (Can be a bit rough & there is not much to see) & North Pool (Nice place) & you can say you have done some of the Canning.:cool::D

9. dirvine

dirvine Active Member

Discomatt we just did part of that last month with a D4 and 2.5T Caravan behind . We went via Kalgoorlie to Menzies, Sandstone and Mt Magnet then onto Meckathara. Call into Walga Rock out from Cue. Well worth the 40ks detour to see free rock art. Roads are all bitumen or VG dirt roads we went during the storms that came south from Broome so roads were very wet. You should have no problems. I sat om 100+ all the way

10. callmejoe

callmejoe Well-Known Member

Why not go vis Alice springs. ?
    Tamani track. Come out West of halls creek.

Mr Rum likes this.
  11. discomatt

We are coming home down through the centre so wanted to heap up a different way, time and km are roughly the same.
    At this stage we are thinking up to Wiluna, then the start of the Canning, why? because we can!! check out Well 1, stay at North Pool and head up Wiluna Nth rd. to come back onto the black top north of Meekatharra.
    All dependant on current road conditions of coarse, will make some calls to local services just before we leave home and double check as we go through Leister and Wiluna.
    I upgraded the wheels and tyres on the D4 for a reason:D

Mr Rum likes this.
  12. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

That maybe so, but its a 100+ KM'h road, once you take the dodging of cattle out of the equation. I am giving you the insider information. I thought that's what you asked for?

As I said prior, all these roads are excellent, unless its rained.

discomatt likes this.
  13. discomatt

That's exactly what we are after, will be taking your advise and going that way unless there are bad reports from locals closer to the date. Thanks for the tips.:)
    Any other bits we should be checking out while racing through?

sharkcaver likes this.
  14. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Matt. Don't discount flying to Broome and hiring a Britz. I't a bloody long way, even if you are used to long trips. That's the way I would do it next time. More relaxing and almost exactly the same cost when you add everything up like extra kms. a service, wear and tear, they tyres, fuel and accommodation on the way and back Just a thought.

It's not the trip there that's a problem, it's driving home..

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  15. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

I've done the Wiluna nth road a couple of times in the last few years. Both times its been excellent with only a few minor rough patches. Even heading out on the gunbarrel from wiluna the gravel road was excellent. Not sure if its just the Shire of Wiluna maintains their gravel roads really well or they just dont see that much traffic.

16. callmejoe

callmejoe Well-Known Member

@discomatt @boobook
    Hey Matt he does have a good idea.
    At least the Britz could be a yotota.
    Cause like a LR going that far off the beaten track is just flaunting with danger.
    Isn't it...

Sorry Matt and Boobook i just couldn't resist... And some one was bound to say it, so why not a pootrol owner...:);)

17. boobook

They have a special on. Pick up a 4wd Melbourne or Adelaide and drop off in Broome. $25 a day. Then fly home. You just have to drop it off before the 15th May. Even if it is a Toyota, Joe.

http://www.britz.com.au/4wd-deals/Pages/4WD.aspx

That's probably the cheapest way to get to Broome.

18. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

4x4 forum and all you guys are talking about flying instead of using your 4wd, madness:p

80lover96gxl, discomatt and Mr Rum like this.
  19. boobook

To be fair to the others Shane, I think I'm the only one talking about flying. But after having done the Kimberley and the Cape from Melbourne, I can tell you that all is good on those long trips till you "round the turn" to come home. Once that happens, everyone has had enough and is busting to get home in a mad dash.

The 5 - 6 000 kms is a long way home to drive, when the alternative is to spend a week extra relaxing at the location you are visiting. Economically its about the same cost.

Anyway it's just a suggestion.

20. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

All good, Im just having a sly dig;) For me the journey is not just a way to get to a destination but is part of the appeal of getting away, I love driving anywhere! Most people where I live would rather fly to Perth than drive, give me a couple days on the road over flying anyday of the week

happy tezza, discomatt and Mr Rum like this.