Otways

Rhett HS

Otways is fairly large. Hundreds of tracks. More than two weeks of solid driving to be had. Hema have a great map of the area.

Beauchamp falls is near a lot of options.

Timing plays a role, one trip i happened to go just before the winter closures, and it was very wet, slippery, muddy (and fun).

phs

Otways is fairly large. Hundreds of tracks. More than two weeks of solid driving to be had. Hema have a great map of the area.

Beauchamp falls is near a lot of options.

Timing plays a role, one trip i happened to go just before the winter closures, and it was very wet, slippery, muddy (and fun).
I frequented the area years ago when tracks like clear water and noonday were still open, now a lot of those tracks are closed for good, there is a lot of dirt rd to drive but track wise dunno if you would find 2 weeks solid entertainment.

Even 10 years ago the likes of redwater and Calder ridge were already closed off for good
tracks like kennit wye jeep were closed for years and eventually re routed

No idea when all the tracks down at the cape were shut but it was well before my time

It's a shame 15 years ago we could drive all the way to Cray fish bay

Last edited:

Rhett HS

I frequented the area years ago when tracks like clear water and noonday were still open, now a lot of those tracks are closed for good, there is a lot of dirt rd to drive but track wise dunno if you would find 2 weeks solid entertainment.

Even 10 years ago the likes of redwater and Calder ridge were already closed off for good

No idea when all the tracks down at the cape were shut but it was well before my time

All i know is that there were closed tracks, and i wished i could drive on them.

I did some research before i went there for the first time and was expecting to struggle to find 4wd tracks, but we found heaps.

Maybe some 2wd tracks have deteriorated into 4wd tracks? Some 2wd tracks become 4wd when its really wet and slippery.

phs

went to otways today... real shame found some ok tracks but all the ones i remember as a kid in the early 90s all close and long long long gone, even the ones on this site in the tracks section all shut, only didnt get to thompsons track which is a old one but i fear it will be shut aswell.
Really got me angry and sad such a good place to go to but they arnt keen for the 4wders to go there. only keen on big house over looking the ocean and tourists going doing day trips.
It was even hard to get from the great ocean road to the bush all tracks shut for "public safety".
sorry end rant!

Rhett HS

went to otways today... real shame found some ok tracks but all the ones i remember as a kid in the early 90s all close and long long long gone, even the ones on this site in the tracks section all shut, only didnt get to thompsons track which is a old one but i fear it will be shut aswell.
Really got me angry and sad such a good place to go to but they arnt keen for the 4wders to go there. only keen on big house over looking the ocean and tourists going doing day trips.
It was even hard to get from the great ocean road to the bush all tracks shut for "public safety".
sorry end rant!
I found heaps of 4wd tracks about a year ago.

i still see a bit of talk about oregon trk but when i went past gate was shut was also shut back in 2015 when i went past is this track even open anymore? looks like alot of people drive around the gate..... would love to give it a go.
sorry for double post....

Rhett HS

i still see a bit of talk about oregon trk but when i went past gate was shut was also shut back in 2015 when i went past is this track even open anymore? looks like alot of people drive around the gate..... would love to give it a go.
sorry for double post....
What sort of vehicle and modifications do you have?
I have a heap of photos of the oregan tk. Its beautiful.

phs

4.2 gu patrol, 3inch lift and 35s winch ect no lockers though

would love to see some pictures!
That won't see you get far on Oregon track
Basically Comp cars only

3 years ago, we had a few well setup 4wds one was a old Lux on 35s lockers still had to winch back out the entry, which is probably one of the easier sections

For as long as I have been going there 12 years it's never been graded.

I'll PM you a few tracks that are still open

Basically Comp cars only

3 years ago, we had a few well setup 4wds one was a old Lux on 35s lockers still had to winch back out the entry, which is probably one of the easier sections

legend cheers that would be appreciated.
Im not 100% ill ever drive it just curious to walk it and have a look.
I remember a different otways from the early 90s when i was young with the folks was great was no shut tracks back then.

Rhett HS

Basically Comp cars only

Ring any bells?
1730.jpg

boobook

You're bringing back memories PHS. I remember we used to turn left about 5 kms out of Marengo, onto Elliot Rd and Blanket Bay track to Crayfish Bay and the cape. Man those tracks were slippery work with massive ruts. I had a bloody Turfer and Landrover series 111 in those days. One time it got dark and we came into someone's backyard on one of those huts in Blanket Bay. That was in about 1980.

I have been looking for some decent drives more recently but the tracks are either locked, 2wd easy dirt roads or completely undrivable without massive mods that I could find. And all the campsites seem to be fenced off.

Rhett HS

Over two trips i spent two weeks there and although i cried about the closed tracks and campsites, and mismanagement, our 4wd appetites were definitely whetted, especially since it was moist both times.

But imagine if i published a list of all the good stuff. The government might use it as a tick list for more closures.

phs

You're bringing back memories PHS. I remember we used to turn left about 5 kms out of Marengo, onto Elliot Rd and Blanket Bay track to Crayfish Bay and the cape. Man those tracks were slippery work with massive ruts. I had a bloody Turfer and Landrover series 111 in those days. One time it got dark and we came into someone's backyard on one of those huts in Blanket Bay. That was in about 1980.

I have been looking for some decent drives more recently but the tracks are either locked, 2wd easy dirt roads or completely undrivable without massive mods that I could find. And all the campsites seem to be fenced off.
Your a lucky man to have driven those tracks.
for as long as I have been going down there 90% of the cape tracks were already shut it is a shame as it's a great place,

I was lucky enough many moons ago to drive down to aire river beach and get stuck on the dune coming out......

1/5 the way up I was bogged down to the axles in the old BJ70 helpless with only a turfer I thought we were going to be there for a few days winching, out of no where a group about 10 of foreigners emerged from the scrub they did not speak 1 word of English but they all started pushing the 70 up the dune, all while having a ball laughing and falling over ect.

phs

a few photos from Oregon

there is this elevated platform someone has made the whole track is creepy little to no sunlight always wet

i dont see it ever getting graded its one of those tracks that the machines get bogged on