OTooles Reccie Trip Report 12 Oct 08

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
The weekend began with an early morning start for us Melbournians with us required to meet at the DNRE depot at 8.30am

Here is one benefit of getting up so early with a view of the sunrise on the road around 6.20 am.

583425_2936500691_f9a366d103.jpg

For the rest of the Saturday activities check out Nickj’s trip report

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/meets-clubs-events/1276-trip-report-toombon-cemetery-working-bee-11-10-08-a.html

We finished around 4pm and were invited to have a look around one of the local’s historic homestead which was filled with memorabilia from the area’s mining past.

The evidence of the bushfires and subsequent floods were still clearly visible with one local having their entire front yard washed away and the stumps of their home fully exposed

Those of us that stayed went to the Aberfeldy Cabins operated by the Code family (pronounce Codey). Those that are interested in the cabins or in fact getting a good understanding of the general history of the area may want to look at the following links

http://www.aberfeldycabins.com.au

http://users.netlink.com.au/~maptrap/code.html

They also have a small retail area where items such as honey, eggs maps etc can be purchased on an honour system basis.

The cabins themselves are all historic in nature with each having their own story, but centered in the middle is the old mail hut that was used as a drop off point for mail that would then be distributed to the respective gold mining townships further in the area..

2926_2937359114_21796b6f7c.jpg

The cabins are serviced with a shower block with hot showers and flushing toilets so those who would like some creature comforts while enjoying this area this is the place all for a maximum charge of $20 per adult per night. It also reduces the need to bring all everything required for camping.

The set up

457992_2936502929_6853ce5595.jpg

Gunna Knackers and 4x4 on step

Dinner on Saturday night consisted of a meal that is certainly worthy of mention

Pre dinner nibbles provided by 4 X 4 included a cheese and antipasto platter, a gourmet BBQ was then provided with two magnificent salads prepared by Grumpy. A couple bottles of reserve Shiraz complimented the meal.

Saturday night was spent around a little fire that kept us warm. (I had a t shirt on all night so the weather was mild or maybe the beer blanket had been turned to maximum). Tales were told and a certain member of the crew impressed the rest of the group with an impromptu fire walking demonstration.

One of the things discovered about the crew is that one member requires his cuppa to only have 5 dunks of a tea bag, no more no less, needless to say he made his own cuppa.

A late start for breakfast at 8am saw an extremely well organized Grumpy and Gunna have everything needed for a predominately bacon and eggs breaky although one toff had some fish steaks.

General clean up of the site and packing before we planned to start around 9.30 although, we were asked to wait till around 10 to help our hosts out by delivering some mail for them on the way out.

Three vehicles in convoy, Grumpy’s Cruiser (Navigator Gunna) trip leader, BEK’s Prado and 4 x 4’s Patrol (navigator Knackers). TEC

Weather fine and no moisture on the tracks as Saturday had also been fine so all tracks were considered up to a medium difficulty. However, be aware that the tracks taken can quickly go to an extreme rating if they become wet. Therefore be aware of the weather when planning a trip in this area.

We left along Donnellys Creek track, back past the new stairs at the Toombon cementry where we all stopped to survey the great handywork again,

609377_2937357420_71f5103020.jpg

back past the Toombon mine

218266_2937355176_9f9644cd42.jpg

897539_2936502185_e605992cd4.jpg

and followed the track around to Jorgensons track, and then down to Jorgensons Hut. (We had to pick up a map from a couple of wayward travelers that had finally done the smart thing and dropped in to get some directions around 9pm on Saturday night - I think Grumpy’s speed camera had scared them off an hour or two before )

Ford at Jorgensons Hut

815161_2937358232_179aa70ccb.jpg

We followed Donnellys again through to O’Tooles where we determined the best place for meet hopefully we will be able to get this area

170599_2936506081_3f80520937.jpg

This will be posted by 4 x 4 on the front page of the thread in the next week

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/meets-clubs-events/551-otooles-flat-gathering.html

As a guide for those of you heading up to OTooles for the first time allow about three hours from Melbourne

We continued along the track to Stores point where Grumpy and Knackers had a look around the various huts in the area while 4x4 and I were led by Gunna on the walk to the Waterwheel which is one of the proposed trips for the Saturday. Apart from the initial section of original single file track about 80% in now a well formed walking track with magnificent views of the river below almost all of the way there and back again. I am sure Rob would be happy to hear that

349635_2937361542_c90f2e540a.jpg

479068_2936506979_2933211048.jpg

We left Lloyds Hut and continued to Edwards Hill to have a look at some of the former mines in the area and a quick look around the former township which used to have the school for the area. Given the drive we had just done these kids were really committed bunch just to get to school all by foot.

885111_2937363840_6a219e7632.jpg

We then continued on to another cemetery to see the grave of Christina Shaw
187419_2936511191_88a6be5528.jpg

845480_2936509517_2ee35a1681.jpg

We then proceeded out to McEnvoys Track till we arrived at his camping spot. It is a shame to see how some people can destroy what would have been a lovely camp ground can only hope it wasn’t 4WD’s given the site can be accessed by 2wd.

996471_2937362312_e3d0e38332.jpg

Down through the hills into Morwell for a cuppa at Grumpy’s “chapel” before 4x4 and BEK headed for Melbourne at around 3.45 pm.

A very important accessory for the upcoming weekend in the UHF radio’s and because of unfamiliarity with my new radio my battery went from half to zero in about an hour on day 2. Note to self make sure the spare battery is in the car where it was supposed to be before you leave home. Thanks Grumpy for lending me the spare handheld.

Thanks all for a great weekend.

Hope this shows those going to the weekend the sort of things to expect

Sorry can't post map as tracks can't be plotted only major roads on G maps

Last edited:

lordy

good report Beck, seems you had a good time ( and well fed)

nice to see that some one else likes their tea the same as me!!!!!

4X4

Great report BEK. Was a great weekend in great company! Can't wait until O'Tooles when we will do it all again on a bigger scale.

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Great report BEK, you got the hang of it now.

It was great to meet you guys finally and spend the day with you. Shame I had to go home. We had a great day and a quick couple of tracks on the way home.

It's nice to see O'Tooles Flat area looking a little better now.

Well done Grumpy for organising this working bee, a job well done.

Nick

Last edited:

Grumpy

That's one mean report there BEK and very informative too. Thanks I dont mind leading u guys astray if u all do reports like that, save me doing them, HA HAA!

Pure Yobbo

Wow - that is one good trip report. I'm looking forward to reading the one for O'tools once you have it.

Cheers

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well done guys!! Beautiful country side and great shots. looks like you nearly had as much much fun as us at LCMP!:rolleyes:

Although, I'm sure those steps were straighter in the last foto?:rolleyes:

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi all.
Great report Bek. I was about to do a report myself but the effort you and Nickj have already put in great reports and there is not a real lot left to uncover.

Well done Grumpy for organising the trip and to Noel from DSE for his support. Thanks to others on the trip. It was great to catch up with you and put a names to those from the forum, a terrific weekend was had by all. The Trust members were certainly appreciative of the effort. For us, aside from the satisfaction of completing the project, it was also a bonus to get history lessons from the trust members.

Thanks also to 4x4 for the navigators seat. Sorry that there wasn't a water crossing deep enough that satified your strict quality control requirements. Or maybe you wanted the water just to cool your feet down from your shinangingans the night before?

We had some real free range farm fresh eggs. How good were they. Sorry I just cant quite remember who we had to thank for them?

Interesting :
- that the recent floods have resulted in historic bits and pieces being washed to the
surface being discovered.

- that the gum trees that were literally black posts after the recent fire are recovering. Back in April
08 they were iterally black posts, whereas last weekend there was significant re-growth
(which did block the views now)

- that considering it is mid Oct just how dry and dusty the tracks were. (hint avoid TEC, cough cough)

- that someone 'lost' a six pack. Where could it have gone if no one took it?
(hint, count the empties????)

- that the blow up doll survived the bucks night intact

- to catch up with hunters staying locally. Not sure what they were after, we only saw black &
white emus on the way home.

- that my wife didn't believe when I told her we called into the chapel on the way home

One, two, three, four, five.......... dunkenshir

Cheers
Knackers

Last edited:

WILDTI

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thats awsome Bek, Now I have my Mrs jumping at the bit to get their..... We are both looking forward to chatting and having a few drinks with all the 4x4 earth ppl. Oops I was logged on as my Mrs.... he he he. Cheers its Crooz here.

knot_gillty

Excellent report BEK. Really looking forward to getting out there now. If only the time would go a bit quicker......

Gilly

Grumpy

Hi all.
Great report Bek. I was about to do a report myself but the effort you and Nickj have already put in and reported there is not a real lot left to uncover.

Well done Grumpy for organising the trip and to Noel from DSE for his support. Thanks to others on the trip. It was great to catch up with you and put a names to those from the forum, a terrific weekend was had by all. The Trust members were certainly appreciative of the effort. For us, aside from the satisfaction of completing the project, it was also a bonus to get history lessons from the trust members.

Thanks also to 4x4 for the navigators seat. Sorry that there wasn't a water crossing deep enough that satified your strict quality control requirements. Or maybe you wanted the water just to cool your feet down from your shinangingans the night before?

We had some real free range farm fresh eggs. How good were they. Sorry I just cant quite remember who we had to thank for them?

Interesting :
- that the recent floods have resulted in historic bits and pieces being washed to the
surface being discovered.

- that the gum trees that were literally black posts after the recent fire are recovering. Back in April
08 they were iterally black posts, whereas last weekend there was significant re-growth
(which did block the views now)

- that considering it is mid Oct just how dry and dusty the tracks were. (hint avoid TEC, cough cough)

- that someone 'lost' a six pack. Where could it have gone if no one took it?
(hint, count the empties????)

- that the blow up doll survived the bucks night intact

- to catch up with hunters staying locally. Not sure what they were after, we only saw black &
white emus on the way home.

- that my wife didn't believe when I told her we called into the chapel on the way home

One, two, three, four, five.......... dunkenshir

Cheers
Knackers

"Memorable Moments"
Knackers do we need to elaborate on some of your report, eg: Black and White Emus ect. unless u were there a bit hard to follow, HE HEE! Very well done Knackers a bit like a hidden camera report but a lot more interesting. GREAT STUFF

Last edited:

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
"Memorable Moments"
Knackers do we need to elaborate on some of your report, eg: Black and White Emus ect. unless u were there a bit hard to follow, HE HEE! Very well done Knackers a bit like a hidden camera report but a lot more interesting. GREAT STUFF

Hi Grumpy. The report was written with the old motto, ‘what goes on the trip stays on the trip’ in mind, and those on the trip would understand what was written. Also the factual details had already been well covered by Bek & Nickj so I took the cryptic route. So yes I can understand how it would be vague for those not on the trip. I thought we can let more out the can out when someone opens the lid. Guess what,.... I reckon your reply has just opened the lid. And because you lifted the lid,... I will elaborate and you are first.

In response to my hidden camera comment on the lost 6 pack the yarn goes :

Grumpy had this rather large esky. Yes it was big and he certainly didn’t waste space in it when he packed full. We had a good night sitting around the fire and Grumpy, well you could say he wasn’t holding back, and had quite a few trips back to the esky. Mind you, Gunna, 4X4 and Bek weren’t far behind. That’s probably why Bek was just sitting in a t-shirt all night cause he didn’t feel a thing, and why 4X4 got up to his shinaningans (but that’s another story).

Back to Grumpy, he goes by the old bushy tale, ya gotta watch the fire. Which he did well into early the next day, and naturally with a can in his hand. Eventually the fire burned down which allowed Grumpy to have 40 winks before we arose the next day.

The next morning we were sitting around thinking about bacon and eggs for breakfast when Grumpy looked into the esky. That early in the day we were not sure whether he was after a heart stater or going to pack, anyway he started scratching his head and had this quizzical look.

‘Gunna, have you seen my other 6 pack of bourbon?’ he goes :cool:
‘No, it’s not under my chair’ chirped Gunna

‘Bek, have you seen my other 6 pack of bourbon?’ he goes :cool:
‘Noo, it’s not under my chair’ quipped Bek

‘4x4, have you seen my other 6 pack of bourbon?’ he goes :cool:
‘Nooo, it’s not under my chair’ said 4x4

He looked at me. Here is a guy I have just met, a 6 pack is missing, it’s not under the others chair, I‘m thinking, he is thinking ‘Knackers, your it’. :cool:

Anyway he goes ‘Knackers, have you seen my other 6 pack of bourbon?’
‘Noooo, it’s not under my chair’ I replied, whilst all the time thinking to myself this weekend is suddenly going to become more entertaining than it already is.

It was about then we noticed that Grumpy, well let’s just say he just didn’t have the spring in his step like he did the day before when he was swinging the shovel & crowbar at the working bee. Also I think it was 4x4(?) who suggested to Grumpy that maybe you drunk it. ‘Nah’ claims Grumpy. ‘Well count the empties’ suggested Gunna.

With this Grumpy goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11……………….. all the way to the last half dozen. It was then the penny dropped on Grumpy. He had drunk his ‘lost’ 6 pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He likes a drink does our Grumpy (just can’t keep track of how much)

:) :) :)

Anyway, I gotta run now. Will explain other hidden cameras further later on (unless someone else takes up the running. eg Nickj, do you think any are pointing your way?)

Cheers
Knackers

robz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yes Knackers that sounds like Grumpy.
Gunna127 and myself can attest to the fact that he has done that on more than one occassion.

cruiserlad

4x4 Earth Contributer
bek great trip report i think ill talk to yobbo so you can do the trip report next year in the hunter valley be warned your on notice so ya gotta turn up now