Oricom vs GME vs Uniden vs ICOM - which UHF radio is best for 4 wheel driving?

Which UHF Radio are you rolling with?

• GME

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Uniden

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • ICOM

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Oricom

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Patriot

Administrator
Wondering which UHF Radio people prefer and why. Are there any brands you prefer or avoid and why?

Thanks,
James

Toyasaurus

I use ICOM for long range and GME for short range on tracks.

You really can`t go wrong with any of them, GME is an aussie built unit and probably the best.

I think aerials play a big part in the performance of any radio, you have to match them with what you want out of the radio.

Batts88

I had a GME for15yrs after around 5yrs give or take a yr the rubber stopper where the cord goes into the handpiece falls apart from the heat in the cabin and the plastic on the lower half of the handpiece started fading like it was breaking down. The speaker quality is poor a bit squeaky people almost sound like a chimpmunk my neighbors uhf done the exact same thing both are TX3500. The handpieces were mounted on the dash below the speedo. I also had a cheap Oricom UHF028 the speaker was excellent very clear but the volume knob played up causing it to cut out and get static occasionally the handpiece was mounted next to the GME one and it didn't fade or have any problems it was about 7yrs old. Both units had very good range.

Triton14

Buy Australian right @discomatt :rolleyes:

Yes I have a GME radio & also had a GME PLB that went out of date but then changed to another Aussie KTI product because of the extended 3 year battery life.

Now KTI has been bought out by an overseas company so do I now buy an inferior Australian made product at more cost or the overseas owned version with better battery life??

RBJET

Started out with Oricom, had nothing but issues. Went in for warranty with he hole unit (including aerial) replaced 3 times.
Sold it for a GME combo, been happy ever since.

Aaron Schubert

Had an ICOM unit in my Dmax for 3 years, and an older model unit in the 80 for 3 years before that. They are great units, and commonly used for commercial applications. No issues, and would happily get another.

Aaron

discomatt

Buy Australian right @discomatt :rolleyes:

Yes I have a GME radio & also had a GME PLB that went out of date but then changed to another Aussie KTI product because of the extended 3 year battery life.

Now KTI has been bought out by an overseas company so do I now buy an inferior Australian made product at more cost or the overseas owned version with better battery life??
To right, see you are learning, if you can buy Aussie, its better on every level

Karl Fehlauer

I have used GME, Uniden and Oricom brands in my different vehicles and all were good.

I am currently using the Oricom DTX 4200 which is a dual receive UHF radio - that is you can monitor two channels at once, one as a primary (receive and transmit) and one as a secondary (receive only).

This is great for when I am leading trips as I have one set for the convoy and can monitor a second channel (usually Ch 40) - it is very easy to swap between the two channels.

I have had more issues with antennas than the actual radios. You need to ensure that for best results you have the correct antenna for the terrain you are using. In general terms, a 4.5db antenna is more suited to hilly country, a 9db for open country and a 6db is sorted of in between (I am using a 6db here in WA as we don't have really hilly / mountainous country so is a good compromise).

In the end, go with what you want.

Karl

Deadweight

I'm running a Uniden because it's the only reasonably cheap model I could find that had dials for channel, volume and squelch - much prefer that over pressing buttons.

boobook

If you buy anything other than a GME XRS 330 or 370 you have rocks in your head. They're the only two that have a scan rate fast enough to properly cope with 80 channels. Lots of other goodies that no others have to. Others like Icom have woeful scan rates.

IMHO of course. Australian made so it's not helping the poor countries.

Oh and a decent Antenna with interchangeable antennas, say on a SO 239 on the roof and nowhere else!

They all have the same transmit range - given 5w and the same antenna and location, but Icom and GME have better receive sensitivity and discrimination, something often overlooked.

Last edited:

Chatty

I'm running an GME XRS in the vehicle and it's outstanding. Would recommend without reservation.

We've also got 2 Icom hand held units and they've been pretty good.

sharkcaver

If you buy anything other than a GME XRS 330 or 370 you have rocks in your head. They're the only two that have a scan rate fast enough to properly cope with 80 channels.

That's fine if you like to scan. I barely use the scan function.

I have 2 x bare bones speaker mic controlled uniden 5060's in separate vehicles. I have had top of the wazza radios prior but to be honest, for me, I'm just paying for stuff I wont use going that route.

I use them for communication only. And these do the job admirably.

One of my 5060's is 5 years old now, no issues.
The other 12 months old, just had a button stop working. I called uniden, they gave me a reply paid address to sent the mic in, and within a week I had a new mic.

cant argue with that.

The old what radio is best is like what fridge is best. Everyone has an opinion, and most likely, it wont agree with yours. Ce la vie.

Aza013

I’m now running a GME XRS in the vehicle + I have 2 GME 5w hand held radios for when out in the gold fields with family or friends.