opions on Patrol

ghumphreys

Hi Guys just a quick question my dad is looking at purchasing a 2002 GU Patrol 3.0lt TD with 150000km on it and since i am landcrusier man i was wondering if there is any major things he should be looking for. thanks guys

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Guys just a quick question my dad is looking at purchasing a 2002 GU Patrol 3.0lt TD with 150000km on it and since i am landcrusier man i was wondering if there is any major things he should be looking for. thanks guys

two things engine and transmission (I am assuming it is auto)

Read up on the various nissan forums for the problems associated with these vehicles.

2000 to 2003/4 are where most of the problems are

anything larger in donk are the better options

ghumphreys

two things engine and transmission (I am assuming it is auto)

Read up on the various nissan forums for the problems associated with these vehicles.

2000 to 2003/4 are where most of the problems are

anything larger in donk are the better options

sorry guys 5 speed manual and and can you possible give me the forum address

DazzGUIV

4x4 Earth Contributer
sorry guys 5 speed manual and and can you possible give me the forum address

The forum address is Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum and yeah the series 2 3.0TD (ZD30) had some problems with cooking pistons. there were a few recalls and fixes by nissan but they didnt really solve the problem. one supposed problem was a low oil level, so nissans fix was to shorten the dipstick to make you fill it up more :eek: i dont know if the actual problem was every really found or solved lending them to get the name the granade - you dont know when they will go bang.

i would stick to at least a series 3 or if possible a series 4.

i recon this thread will cause a bit of nissan bashing from our toyota friends :D

Brisey

Also check if it has done a lot of heavy towing as that can chop out 5 th gear. My young bloke has just had to rebuild his. The gearbox didn't give any warning before it went.

Cheers

Bri

croozza

Forget the 3ltr Patrol altogether, if you can find a 4.2 you are better off, but then he would be better off getting a Landcruiser anyway!

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
We own a series 4 (2005), watch out for the earlier 3.0 TD's, some had a habit of going BANG. Read up on the Patrol forum, mentioned earlier and make an informed choice. Aside from that they are a very capable vehicle.

Split pin

Mate the honest opinion. Mate I raved about the mighty ZD30 motor and did 180 thosand ks until it started to cost me money with all the so called experts. I started to lose power and even got to the stage that in low range I couldnt tow our camper up the big dipper at Mittergong on the Hume hwy. After spending 5 grand and getting now where for 12 months it got to the stage I was throwing good money after bad. And after much thought I went the big cube option. Just be careful of the ZD30 motor when its good its bloody good but when it goes bad it really goes bad. Now before any body bites my head off over the ZD30 I tried everything and all the experts but no body could explain the lose of horse power and the rapid increase in fuel usage. If I could have fixed it I would have but no body could. Hench I went to a chev V8 diesel.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
You can ask Logitech, he must have hit every single issue a diesel can have. Lucky it was under a warranty

logitech

Buy a land cruiser. Patrols are awesome cars, but the engine team had way too many pump lunches.

I.E
3l and 2.8 diesel pumps are $3k for rebuilds
4.2 is about $800
pump rebuilds are needed between 100000 and 150000 k's for most people.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Buy a land cruiser. Patrols are awesome cars, but the engine team had way too many pump lunches.

I.E
3l and 2.8 diesel pumps are $3k for rebuilds
4.2 is about $800
pump rebuilds are needed between 100000 and 150000 k's for most people.

You wouldn't think 1 offroad trip would convince logi to change is mind on which 4by to buy :D

logitech

lol.. no the repairs did. Dont get me wrong, i love the patrol, but have everything under the bonnet replaced except the turbo creates a bit of a distaste i would not wish on anyone.

oh and don't buy in NSW, there laws are crap.

ghumphreys

Thanks for oppions guys i think my dad has changed his mind already however it seems he is going to get a 2006 navara TD he is only using it to tow his CVan as he is retired and just tours for 6 months a year. I couldnt convince him to get a crusier and god knows i tried love my 80 series

croozza

Thanks for oppions guys i think my dad has changed his mind already however it seems he is going to get a 2006 navara TD he is only using it to tow his CVan as he is retired and just tours for 6 months a year. I couldnt convince him to get a crusier and god knows i tried love my 80 series

06 Navara........has the same motor.
BUT, it does not suffer the same problems, must be a weight thing!

daweclan

Iv'e read a few of the 06 models letting go as well,Wouldn't ya think nissan would can these motors!I feel for the people forking out all that money to have the thing blow and alot are just out of warranty,Nothing against nissan i own one a TD42 spose im'e lucky.had no probs and on 300000.:)

goldrush

From what I understand the real difference between the Navara motor and the Patrol is the engine management system.Having said that I own a 2002 3ltr Patrol that has done over 170000 kms and I have no complaints. I have modified the EGR valve and replaced the MAF sensor and am very happy with my rig. Not all 3ltr motors go bang. Some do and some don't. The ones that do will always get more attention on forums. They are not all good motors but they are not all bad either.