Online Sellers Beware

Blue_haired_man

G'day guys and gals
I just read a story on another forum about a guy trying to sell a kayak off the classified section of the forum.

He arranged a time and gave a prospective seller his address to inspect and hopefully buy the kayak only to receive a call from the guy just before the time stating the 'buyer' had a flat tyre with seized up wheel nuts, asking if he could help. So he grabbed a wheel brace jumped in the car and went to help. A minute or two later he realised he should have brought a breaker bar and turned around only to arrive home to find two guys trying to open his gate, who after spotting him did the bolt. Funnily enough when he called the buyer the phone was switched off.

He reported it to police, who said it's becoming more common and the phone number he had was an untraceable prepaid purchase a few days before.

Scumbags are everywhere these days, so keep this in mind when selling anything online peoples.

Cheers Leo

Swaggie

Yep no ones interested in building new jails to house scumbags..So they get off basically scott free especially if they were smacked as child (bit of sarcasm there :eek:)..

Tink

Sounds scary.

Just out of curiosity, I didn't think you could buy an untraceable prepaid in Australia. Whenever you buy a SIM card you have to have ID and that is entered by the merchant, be it Coles or Telstra, against the number. Guess you could use a fake driver's licence.

Tink

Blue_haired_man

Sounds scary.

Just out of curiosity, I didn't think you could buy an untraceable prepaid in Australia. Whenever you buy a SIM card you have to have ID and that is entered by the merchant, be it Coles or Telstra, against the number. Guess you could use a fake driver's licence.

Tink

Nah you can't buy a phone or SIM card without a license but I'm assuming it could be purchased with a stolen or lost license. All I know is the cops told him was it was prepaid and untraceable.

Cheers Leo

JC807

Nah you can't buy a phone or SIM card without a license but I'm assuming it could be purchased with a stolen or lost license. All I know is the cops told him was it was prepaid and untraceable.

Cheers Leo

to be honest that sounds more like the police don't want to spend time helping. Unless the SIM had never been used before, there could well be a number of calls made from a same location (the thief's house), which would be worth a knock, or maybe not, although scumbags are sometimes known to police.
Perhaps if they had actually gotten away with stealing the kayak they might be more keen to help.

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
You can walk into Coles / Aldi etc and buy a $2 sim card without any form of ID, done it 4-5 times so far, being legit I have then registered them against my name / credit card etc.

BUT, if i do the same and use a hot credit card !!! ..........I then have an untraceable Sim , sure it can be located by its IMEI number ........... if you have the equipment, resources and the time.

Your local copper doesn't have those and besides shouldn't they be out catching real criminals like druggies , dealers , murderers or drink drivers ( you can please some of the people........)

I just checked , I have 2 unallocated Sim cards sitting spare atm ............anyone got a hot card ?

03GV

You say it was forsale on a forum? Obviously that should be a member only section and ask for phone number rather than in the ad. That way its traceable.

GazaShaggy

Whenever I sell stuff I just meet them in the carpark of the local shops I've heard stories of people selling cars then a night or two after they shown it either things or one story the whole car goes missing.
Its sad we live a world like this where you cant trust anyone anymore.