Older newbie

Ozdave

Hi all. My name‘s Dave. I was just looking up some random information and I found some very helpful topics, and some twisted humour I appreciated, so I thought I’d do the right thing and join.
I recently sold a 1991 75 series and bought a MY21 Dmax. I’d liked to have kept the landcruiser as well but couldn’t afford it. I had nightmares for months about dreaming I’d sold a real 4WD and bought a Greenfield mower with a pull start engine. The Dmax has proved itself to be a sturdy and worthy replacement. More power, more comfort and less fuel. I do miss the twin 90 litre fuel tanks on the cruiser though.
A few mods:
TJM bar (built in recovery points)
TJM rear step
TJM side rails
TJM premium canopy
TJM under body protection plates.
7” spotlights XTM Helios. (Very white and flairs badly off road signs but ok on remote travel.)
Runva 11000lb winch
100ah lithium battery with Redarc BCDC 25 charger In the canopy. (For engel fridge, lights, water pump, compressor)
kings drawers. (I know, cheap and heavy but work fine)
Dobinsons IMS shocks with 40mm lift kit (Blue Max leafs in the rear)
GVM upgrade
GME radio
265/70/17 Geolandar /T G015 on the OEM rims. LSM came with 17” alloys.
Ram seat base mount for iPad for Hema maps and wiki free camps etc.
I live in Brisbane and due to Covid lock downs and health issues (all good now) I haven’t travelled as much as I wanted, but I have taken it to to the cape (Telegraph track, Carriage road etc), Fraser Island, Croombit Tops national park, Teewah beach and a few daily drives to Mt Mee forestry and similar places.
Still need a snorkel, long range tank, roof rack for canopy and….. and….
Anyway, that’s me, be 60yo at Christmas, Sagittarius, like long walks on the beach blah blah blah.

1DC5B486-981E-4707-85C3-291711F214A1.jpeg

Before tyres and side steps.

Last edited:

Albynsw

Have you guys got the Lane Departure/ lane assist stuff?
My son is driving one at work and reckons it is dangerous to drive on outback roads and you are constantly fighting the vehicle to stay on the road

Ozdave

Yeah, I just had the firmware update (reprograms the button on the wheel) done a few days ago at the dealer. I’ve had a few scares with the lane assist as well. Worst one was, Pie van on side of road, push bike passing stationary van, me passing cyclist, moved over the center line to give some space and the safety junk swerved me back into the cyclist. Scared the crap out of all of us. Anyway, I can turn it off at anytime now. Recommended update. The Lane departure/lane assist is good on multi lane highways and nowhere else.

cam04

My son is driving one at work and reckons it is dangerous to drive on outback roads and you are constantly fighting the vehicle to stay on the road
Press and hold the active lane assist button and it turns off. I’ve only turned it off a couple of times in two years though, I like it.
The lane centring is speed sensitive.
Like all cars with that stuff it takes a little time to work out how the systems work.

RODEODAVE

I drive one for work and its a pain in the ass . always fighting to change lanes if it detects a car with in range of the sensors ...
this is Sydney if I don't push in I'm going no where .
then when getting off motorways it struggles with the multiple lane choices again I have to fight it to get my desired lane ..
I don't even hear the bells and buzzers anymore , but it annoys the shit out of whoever I'm on the phone too...

Albynsw

I drive one for work and its a pain in the ass . always fighting to change lanes if it detects a car with in range of the sensors ...
then when getting off motorways it struggles with the multiple lane choices again I have to fight it to get my desired lane ..
I don't even hear the bells and buzzers anymore , but it annoys the shit out of whoever I'm on the phone too...

I know this isn’t a vehicle specific issue, a mate bought a 300 series Sahara and hates it with this function. He finds it dangerous

It is crazy that these aids are even allowed in their current form

cam04

Mine is silent. Takes 2 minutes to turn off all the chimes permanently. Set the front AEB senor to 'close'. The door open alarm takes 5 minutes to pull off the steering wheel shroud and disable - same as our hilux's, its a long white plug next to the key barrel if you are lucky enough to have a povo pack version - just pull it apart. Lane choices just needs an indicator on. Yes, the rear sensors make you get a fair way past a car before cutting back in front - that one takes a bit of getting used to, the rest just makes you a better driver.

Last edited:

Ozdave

Yeah, the door chime thing is really irritating. I’ll have see if it has been solved for the Dmax by someone on here.

cam04

Yeah, the door chime thing is really irritating. I’ll have see if it has been solved for the Dmax by someone on here.
They are the same car - if you don't have a start button the process is identical.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTL