Change background image

Old Clipper Buses

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 80lover96gxl, Apr 4, 2018.

1. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Was up at Burra for the last day of the Easter break and discovered that the Australian Clipper Bus enthusiast group were holding their annual meet there.

These buses were built in the 1950's with only 18 remaining in the country 4 of which were bought over from the US, with the other 14 being Aussie built.

All buses were in various states of restoration with budgets ranging from 200k to in excess of 400k plus.

All buses were running V8 diesel perkins engines and boy did some of em sound sweet.

Didn't get many pic's but here's a few i did get.
    20180401_153438.jpg
    20180401_153459.jpg
    20180401_153512.jpg
    20180401_153526.jpg
    20180401_153237.jpg
    20180401_154620.jpg
    20180401_153140.jpg
    20180401_154642.jpg
    20180401_154600.jpg

2. muffin man

muffin man Well-Known Member

Well bugger me...we went to Melbourne the week before Easter and that explains why we saw a lot of these buses on the road heading to SA.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  3. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

some good pics. of some cool old buses

80lover96gxl likes this.
  4. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Some from QLD, NSW, VIC, SA and 1 from Tassie i believe.

5. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

They were really cool, actually quite enjoyed checking em out and chatting to some of the owners about their bus and the work gone into restoring them.

6. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

mickley and 80lover96gxl like this.
  7. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

There is one that runs through town here every now and then, very cool looking units

80lover96gxl likes this.
  8. loose cannon

loose cannon Well-Known Member

Never seen one in the flesh. Now I want one. Bought a lotto ticket today so tomorrow maybe I'll have enough to buy the green one. Maybe.:oops:

I can see myself cruising down the highway with the fully kitted out 60 series sitting pretty on the trailer out back, 12ht of course...and maybe a 3" straight through exhaust . :)

80lover96gxl and Albynsw like this.
  9. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

The 6 owners i spoke to about theirs all said perkins, should have spoke to the rest i guess.

10. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

That green one was one of the nicer ones there. Its hard to see in the photo's but the green one and maybe 3 others seemed to have longer wheelbases than most the others which i thought was interesting, may have been more of a coachliner in its day perhaps.

11. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Very cool mate, id quite like to own one myself, be great for touring if set up right. Of course a lotto win would need to be factored into the equation for that to happen.:)

Albynsw likes this.
  12. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Ah Brian @80lover96gxl the memories you have just brought back to me. As a thirteen year old living in Portland in the Western District I visited a new friend in Adelaide in 1957. I had to catch a bus from Portland at 5.00 p.m. , to Mt. Gambier S.A to pick up an overnite train to Adelaide at 10.00 p.m. arriving around 8.00 a.m. The bus I caught was an Ansett Roadways bus and yes it was driven by a young bloke called Reg Ansett:D. I enclose a pic of the bus or one like it, the International on the left. I also rode in various Ansett clippers in the 50's and 60's, as Reg Ansett set up his business around Hamilton and district including Portland.
    Thanks for the memories.
    flxible-clipper-moonee-valley-bus-lines-50th-august-2016_1024x768@2x.jpg

dno67, Spooner, 80lover96gxl and 2 others like this.
  13. mickley

mickley Member

The ones I worked on in Tasy were V8 Deutz and Cummins

80lover96gxl likes this.
  14. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Apparently thats how Reg Ansett started out Rog, first with buses before moving into the aviation industry.
    Great memory you have mate, even down to the departure times.
    Cant remember what its called but that star compass thingy painted on the front of the buses is an Aussie thing, the buses from the US at the meet didn't have it, plus the clipper emblem on the front was also different.
    Glad you enjoyed the memories Rog.

rogerazz likes this.
  15. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

I see there is a Greyhound in one pic. Greyhound in Oz was not related to the USA Greyhound. The Oz one started in Toowoomba and the first vehicle was a Whippet car, hence the Oz name origin. After starting up in response to a rail strike it later became a regular part of travel between Brisbane and Toowoomba.
    Tink
    D5233BF0-3A05-4348-BF9B-F44CF92268D5.jpeg

mickley, 80lover96gxl and Albynsw like this.
  16. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Wish I could remember last week :) Got me thinking though. Yeah, I know doesn’t happen often :rolleyes:
    Why would Reg Ansett be driving a bus to Adelaide in 1957 when he bought the company way back in 1944/45. And in 1957 he would have been 48 years old. Rodger, maybe your memory of days past are rose coloured just like mine?
    Tink

17. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

G'day Tink. I agree, your memory may be fading.:D. As I said in my previous post, the bus trip I took was from Portland to Mt. Gambier, then I then caught an overnite train to Adelaide.
    Reg Ansett had a lot to do personally with many of the Ansett Roadways bus routes especially Hamilton, Portland, Coleraine and Mt. Gambier areas at that time. I can't find it now however I was recently reading an article on Portland observer archives back then where Reg attend a Portland council meeting in relation to townspeople objecting over his timetables.
    In those days, many Managers, CEO's ( not a name used then) , Owners of large business were very hands on and generally worked hard in their own businesses. I do recall that my mother mentioned to me that he happened to be in Portland at that time and did not usually do the run but was helping out.
    I enclose a link to an advertisment in 1954 from Trove, Nat. Library of Australia in relation to Ansett Roadways.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/78692724?searchTerm=ansett roadways&searchLimits=dateFrom=1954-01-01|||dateTo=1954-12-31

18. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

My dad drove for greyhound back in the late 70's based out of brizzie. Would do a run from there to sydney in one of their "latest coaches" at the time.
    I remember going on a few trips with him as a little tacker and also remember him say to mum what a professional company they were and he felt privileged to drive for them.

Tink and Albynsw like this.
  19. TrickyTriton

TrickyTriton Member

Watched an old documentary a while ago about Reg Ansett's early days starting out in business.
    His first foray into the transport industry was to be as a taxi operator running between Hamilton and Melbourne.
    That turned sour when the Government wouldn't grant him a taxi license.
    Not to be defeated, he got a Fruiterer's license instead, when somebody wanted a ride, he would sell them an
    orange for the equivalent cost of what the fare would be, then drive them to Melbourne for free, in his private car.

80lover96gxl and Albynsw like this.