Old CB radio

Batts88

G'day found my old Uniden in a box today it was working fine when I stored it away in the mid 2000's it's in good condition. I had a look on ebay found someone selling the same unit for $350 surely he has extreemely high hopes of getting that much. Saw another simiar one around $80 delivered. So does anyone still use them like radio or 4wd clubs etc maybe for the nostalgia of it.

Batts88

Yes 40ch CB with upper and lower side bands you could listen or talk to people all around the world when conditions were good on lower side band. Pretty good for a radio that was mounted in your 4wd.

dno67

Everything old is new again, you just have to wait for the skip to be rediscovered.
I still got an old side band set, power supply and station master sitting here. Iol

Triton14

Just shows you can pretty much ask anything for something on ebay but as you say doesnt mean someone will buy it.

The thing with using a 40CH CB's is it can be problematic when trying to talk to 80CH CB's due to the difference in the bandwidth.

They almost became illegal but luckily the ACMA reversed their decision in 2017.

Some companies would still use them but pretty much everyone is phasing them out.

If ou can get $80 for it I'dbe taking it.

boobook

someone selling the same unit for $350

castle.jpg

dno67

Just shows you can pretty much ask anything for something on ebay but as you say doesnt mean someone will buy it.

The thing with using a 40CH CB's is it can be problematic when trying to talk to 80CH CB's due to the difference in the bandwidth.

They almost became illegal but luckily the ACMA reversed their decision in 2017.

Some companies would still use them but pretty much everyone is phasing them out.

There's a big difference between 40 ch 27MHz and 477MHz 40 Vs 80ch UHF.
I don't Imagine chl 35 would have changed too much, uhf 40 is getting bad but got nothing compared to 35. Haha.

Batts88

Was there 80ch CB's which are 27mhz or are are your talking about UHF's that are 477mhz that we have changed over to in the past 20yrs or so. Uhf's still get labelled as CB's which can create confusion. You were suppose to have a license for a CB as well back in the day and from memory they were either an 18ch or 40ch.

Last edited:

Triton14

Was there 80ch CB's which are 27mhz or are are your talking about UHF's that are 477mhz that we have changed over to in the past 20yrs or so. Uhf's still get labelled as CB's which can create confusion. You were suppose to have a licence for a CB as well back in the day.
To answer your 1st question I don believe so.
From what I uderstand they are all still classed as CB radio's but 27mhz was the HF band & now 477mhz is UHF band.

According to to ACMA you dont need a licence if you have a UHF radio & but to operate a VHF radio you do so figure that one out.

boobook

To answer your 1st question I don believe so.
From what I uderstand they are all still classed as CB radio's but 27mhz was the HF band & now 477mhz is UHF band.

According to to ACMA you dont need a licence if you have a UHF radio & but to operate a VHF radio you do so figure that one out.

From the post of Batts88 it is not clear if he has a 27Mhz CB or a UHF 477Mhz CB. People with followup posts have made different assumptions which is causing the confusion.

Also 27Mhz is HF. ( less than 30 mhz). No licence is required in the 27mhs band or UHF band for CB use. With the exception of establishing a repeater. ACMA do require licencing for VHF but that is for different uses, like Mobile radio, Ham, or Marine use.

I guess some clarification or a model number from Batts would clear up a lot of this conversation if he is still interested.

Also 27Mhz SSB has a lot of advantages over UHF. It goes a lot further ( 20 - 1000km further if you know how to use them), and has few users on it.

The downside is everyone in your group needs one and most people aren't interested.

Batts88

From the post of Batts88 it is not clear if he has a 27Mhz CB or a UHF 477Mhz CB. People with followup posts have made different assumptions which is causing the confusion.

Also 27Mhz is HF. ( less than 30 mhz). No licence is required in the 27mhs band or UHF band for CB use. With the exception of establishing a repeater. ACMA do require licencing for VHF but that is for different uses, like Mobile radio, Ham, or Marine use.

I guess some clarification or a model number from Batts would clear up a lot of this conversation if he is still interested.

Also 27Mhz SSB has a lot of advantages over UHF. It goes a lot further ( 20 - 1000km further if you know how to use them), and has few users on it.

The downside is everyone in your group needs one and most people aren't interested.
Uniden PC122XL SSB/AM 40ch CB Transceiver which has 40ch AM, 40ch USB, 40ch LSB.

typhoeus

Uniden PC122XL SSB/AM 40ch CB Transceiver which has 40ch AM, 40ch USB, 40ch LSB.
Yes, back in the 70s we used to find skip, and talk to nz from kalgoorlie.then send these cards, cq cards? Which we would get printed, kinda like a postcard with the station details. Think i still have a few around here somewhere. Met some interesting people, sometimes pick up fishing boats in Indonesia, and if you got real lucky with weather conditions, even California. It was illegal to boost your set, but lots of people did. If you were chatting anywhere closer than half a kay to houses, you would blast over their tvs .

dno67

The old QSL cards, 100w kicker on sideband makes a lot of noise on 27Mhz.
So l've been told. Haha.
Calling cq cq, cq-dx, 911 victoria Australia calling, cq, cq cq-dx.

Batts88

Use to pick up a lot of the Indonesian fisherman from Newcastle. One day I was talking to a mate while sitting in the driveway when my brother came outside and said he can hear me talking through the stereo when it was in phono setting. He was listening to a record when it finished he could here me strange thing to happen.

dno67

Use to pick up a lot of the Indonesian fisherman from Newcastle. One day I was talking to a mate while sitting in the driveway when my brother came outside and said he can hear me talking through the stereo when it was in phono setting. He was listening to a record when it finished he could here me strange thing to happen.
Pretty common, usually caused by poor shielding on tv or stereo wiring. Can be interesting when a neighbour tells you about your conversations. Haha. We used to talk to a fast food drive through, from the carpark. Was a good laugh.

Low Range

You could get a couple of hundred for it if its in excellent condition, especially if you have the box and books. It was a pretty desirable unit in the day due to its size, how well it sounded and it had mods to expand the channels and boost power/audio modulation.

It would appeal to someone for nostalgic reasons, but there are far better modern 27Mhz radios if someone wanted to get in to it. Or if you have kids it could be fun to throw up a cheap antenna and try to get some skip.

Batts88

You could get a couple of hundred for it if its in excellent condition, especially if you have the box and books. It was a pretty desirable unit in the day due to its size, how well it sounded and it had mods to expand the channels and boost power/audio modulation.

It would appeal to someone for nostalgic reasons, but there are far better modern 27Mhz radios if someone wanted to get in to it. Or if you have kids it could be fun to throw up a cheap antenna and try to get some skip.
"Sold" you can have it for half price free postage included no box or manual though.

Ditch

Lot of the Ham radio guys mod them to use on the 10 meter band(28 Mhz) & they usually sell for good money if in nice condition.