Oil sample analysis

phs

Hi,

Looking for any feed back on company’s that provide motor oil analysis, only looking at a 1 off test

Cheers

I think we use ALS at work. What is it you are looking for? No more dramas with the Prado, I hope? Normally they are used at a set interval to pick up when things start to change, but if they have data from the same motor they can probably also point you in the right direction

Aaron

phs

Thanks guys
Found a CAT oil sample lab close by, picked up a kit this morning

Hey Aaron,
Car Seems to be ok, oil level was high could have just been over filled but better be safe than sorry while it’s still under factory warranty, new hi tech diesels these days the joys

Good to hear. Does your vehicle have a dipstick with 3 markers on it? The new Dmax's (I believe because of the DPF) have a third mark at the top, which if it gets to, you need to dump the oil and replace it. From memory its something to do with the diesel being able to make its way into the sump via the DPF process?

Aaron

mac_man_luke

I dont know for sure but that sounds like the DPF burn in the Dmax runs a rich mixture through the motor to generate the temperature
Toyotas use an extra injector in the exhaust so that shouldnt be possible (during dpf burn anyway)

phs

Good to hear. Does your vehicle have a dipstick with 3 markers on it? The new Dmax's (I believe because of the DPF) have a third mark at the top, which if it gets to, you need to dump the oil and replace it. From memory its something to do with the diesel being able to make its way into the sump via the DPF process?

Aaron
Only 2 marks low and full, I don’t think oil increase is an issue with the 2.8lt

I’d be thinking the slight possibility of a leaking injector thow that is also unlikely but so was a trans cooler failure o_O

I’m guessing it was just over filled about half a litre I’ll know soon enough dropping the sample back off to the lab on Monday

As Luke said the 2.8 Toyos use a low pressure injector post turbo exhaust to get temps up can’t see that making its way back into motor

cam04

Aaron
Yes dmax with DPF is post injected to burn off. Unburned diesel is directed to the sump and there is an X on the dipstick to be checked. If level hits the X, dump oil.
Considering the amount of diesel our 2.8 Hiluxs get through when the DPF is trying to regen I would assume it couldnt possibly go back into the crankcase. Try a whole tank from Gympie to brisbane. Easily enough to drown an engine. I’d assume the plumes of white smoke is hot unburned diesel in the exhaust. My diesel heater in the camper can do the same on a misfire.

Last edited:

discomatt

Its great until it fails and you have no way of actually checking levels o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oor it leaks and needs replacing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Its only a small job to pull the sump off to replace it but its a big job to remove the front diff assembly to remove the sump:eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Albynsw

Its great until it fails and you have no way of actually checking levels o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oor it leaks and needs replacing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Its only a small job to pull the sump off to replace it but its a big job to remove the front diff assembly to remove the sump:eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Probably easier to drop the oil and measure it to see if it is enough and tip it back in lol

dno67

If you go that far, It's not that hard to add a dip stick, once the sumps off :).

callmejoe

But I would have thought being a land rover if you just looked under the vehicle and there was no "oil" puddles on the ground it meant you have run out of oil and time to top up.

That little electric sensor in the vehicle is all just for show. ;):)

shanegtr

Thanks guys
Found a CAT oil sample lab close by, picked up a kit this morning

Hey Aaron,
Car Seems to be ok, oil level was high could have just been over filled but better be safe than sorry while it’s still under factory warranty, new hi tech diesels these days the joys
If you need any assistance with interpreting your sample results let me know - just one part of my day job is looking at oil sample results.
And fuel dilution is a very real issue with many DPF equipped vehicles nowdays (not all as it depends on how the dpf regen burn is carried out).

phs

If you need any assistance with interpreting your sample results let me know - just one part of my day job is looking at oil sample results.
And fuel dilution is a very real issue with many DPF equipped vehicles nowdays (not all as it depends on how the dpf regen burn is carried out).
Thanks for the offer I will definitely take you up on this once the results are in, the sample was drop in at the start of the week