Offroad GPS with MOTIONX and Ipad Mini - Photos

darb

Hi guys, i wanted to share this as it's quite useful, and completely free (i think the app might cost a few bucks).

I used to use google earth with KML files, now I'm using motionX app on IOS (Ipad MINI with gps module) ... and GPX files (converted from KML) Sounds a bit complex but it's not too bad once you're into it.

I went with ipad mini because its got enough screen real estate to be useful, but not too huge.
Still waiting on my dash mount to properly secure it.

The way i do it is load all my track files into it... then cache all the satellite imagery (from Apple , Google, and bing providers) ... along with the Motion X terrain maps which also download.

The whole lot is then available and ready to use out in the field, offline.

I love being able to decide which map you want to use at finger tip.
These photos don't show it, but when you're actually in the field, you have a nice blue triangle on screen that shows your position and it auto tracks as you move through the terrain etc.

Any questions , hit me up.

Swaggie

Looks good mate, your keen showing off great camp areas lol, that rear vision mirror, does it work well etc...

darb

ha ha yeah just thought of that ... no GPS coordinates in the screenshots though ha ha
yes i like the rear view mirror cam, its very clear ... i got a wide angle lens for it, have it permanently powered on (while key is on) ... and i just manually touch the power button at night if its annoying me.

Obviously the rear view mirror is next to useless in any case with a canopy, so it works well.

Albynsw

with this setup do you basically need to downoad all the areas you intend on going too whilst you have reception?
and if so do you still have reasonable maps of the area stored on the unit regardless?

the images are impressive and would be a good aid when doing some exploring

darb

Alby , yes basically. Unless you intend to have range all the time but even then it would be slow.

So terrain maps can be permanently downloaded with the built in tool. Pretty much select huge swathes of Area and it'll store them for life.

Satellite imagery is a bit different in that it's a transient cache which will remain in use UNLESS you have 3G access in which case it constantly tries to update in real time and that ain't good.

So yes, basically before a trip I get allll my sat imagery (Apple and Google on tap) , all the terrain maps loaded and into memory. Then I go into flight mode and it all runs straight off memory lightning fast , high resolution.

64gb but as yet haven't used more than about 8gb.

I intend to basically spend some solid time getting every conceivable location I ever visit , totally cached up / loaded .. And then it will spend its life in flight mode running off cache indefinately.

Periodically if I want to add some tracks in from google earth (kml format into gpx using the gpsbabel program on PC) I just dump them into Dropbox and "open in motion X" , voila it imports as one of my tracks.

darb

Here's selecting the entire south west lol. At maximum detail. Huge amount
Of terrain (topo) data.
That will download 12gb of terrain maps.
But generally I more
Selective of what areas I want to store , usually surrounding the tracks and areas I frequent.

darb

Terrain detail is very high. These are walking tracks and many other fine details.

Having apple and Google sat imagery on tap is pretty useful.

4runnerSteve

So yes, basically before a trip I get allll my sat imagery (Apple and Google on tap) , all the terrain maps loaded and into memory. Then I go into flight mode and it all runs straight off memory lightning fast , high resolution.
Does the GPS work while its in flight mode?

darb

Does the GPS work while its in flight mode?
Yup. Although on iPhone I don't think it does. (No issue if no SIM card). Just gotta turn on the WIFI when away from house.

on IPAD the GPS module definiately activates even if flight mode is on (and bluetooth / wifi are both off).

Basically use a device that has no internet access. Will stop It trying to "update" the maps.

Last edited: