Offline GPS Map Tracking

4x4 Earth Black Friday Sale

mants

Hey everyone,

I have an HTC phone and have a Navman My Escape.

Wondered whats the best way for me to record my travels and also is there a website that does a tracking system that friends can view as im travelling? I would also need it to be offline as i will have no internet signal and most likely no mobile phone signal.

Thanks
Jon

prawns

I would just use a GPS app on your phone that your comfortable with to record you travels (GPS recording doesnt require a phone signal)

However Im not sure how your going to upload tracking data from the phone to a website when you have no mobile phone signal? (not possible.......?)

mants

I would just use a GPS app on your phone that your comfortable with to record you travels (GPS recording doesnt require a phone signal)

However Im not sure how your going to upload tracking data from the phone to a website when you have no mobile phone signal? (not possible.......?)
Yeah has anyone got recommendations for any apps (free if possible)?

Im only going on a 7 day trip but just wont have any connection apart from Sat phone, so would be able to upload on my return home.

prawns

memory maps seems popular (I think its a free download - maps cost you money but the maps come with a free trial period before payment to check them out Im led to believe?)
Personally I use "Locus pro" (not free either, but they have a free version just called "locus" to try it out - Im not sure how limted the free version is)

mants

memory maps seems popular (I think they have a free trial to try it out)
Personally I use "Locus pro" (not free either, but they have a free version just called "locus" to try it out - Im not sure how limted the free version is)
Thanks for the info. I tried memory maps but on download it gets to about 3/4 way and then freezes and wont download any further.

Marineti7

Well I thing for this kind of service you need to rent a third party gps server. If you want to share an information with others about specific car movement. I've been using something like that on my own business where we need to track a lot of vehicles moving constantly. Most of them are offroad. (it's farming business). I've been using gps server rent services from gps vox, they provide service so called gps fleet tracking. So we track roughtly about 40 vehicles at one time. And the information is shared among 5+ managing people. It is possible to see reports and live maps as well as setter boundaries on ipad, so it is portable service also.