ODB2 Lovers & Gauge watchers - check this

darb

Hey Guys, thought I'd share this up.

This started because I wanted to monitor my transmission temps on the 5spd A750 auto (there's actually two temp sensors in it).

Bought an OBD2 wireless dongle, and grabbed the iOS app called OBD Fusion ($15) to run on my dash mounted ipad mini 3g (which i use for offroad navigation and satellite imagery on big trips) ... which offers all the standard PID's for generic OBD, but also has additional model specific connection setup for each actual engine which opens up hundreds and hundreds of extra things, and connects into the "network A" bus of OBD, rather than the generic.

Only trouble was it didn't have the 3.0 or 4.0 listed for Hilux, but the guy who makes it is aware and is sorting that out (you'll see in my screenshots that 4 of the metrics are zero ... those four shuld light up once the developer releass next update).

The app did have the 4.0 engine listed, but for the FJ ... and it has a different ECU to the Hilux , so it still wouldn't connect.

Anyway, here's a couple of screenshots and a video of it in action, I think its pretty cool (the wife just thinks I'm a nerd, but hey she had every chance to run).

There are literally hundreds of different metrics you can analyse, chart.

There's few things I need to clean up, and some metrics give odd results (throttle position is a hard one, but I'm still using generic OBD2 ... waiting on the Network A access and should get some better access).

Cruising (someone else driving)

Giving it some stick (someone else driving).

smitty_r51

I have a cheap blue tooth odb2 and the dashcommand app which does similar...

Saved me an engine in tassie when i cracked a radiator as the gauge on that moved and alerted me way before the car coolant gauge even moved

red99td5

Hi Darb,
I have the app as well, its fantastic. How did you get the Toyota, Lexus pid menu? I only have SAE Pid's

Aaron

darb

Hi Darb,
I have the app as well, its fantastic. How did you get the Toyota, Lexus pid menu? I only have SAE Pid's

Aaron
Hi mate, it's an addon within the OBD Fusion app on IOS ... however, for my particular model it didn't list m y engine, so all the functional guages you see above were just "standard" ones ... with exception to the two Transmission temps ... they i had to enter manual PID and equation information.

The developer for the fusion app is chasing down Toyota to get the full list though, so we can add the many hundreds of above (i posted them in screenshots to demonstrate).

The app has several manufacturers in it .. .Mazda, toyota, Ford etc .. haven't seen any for Nissan though.

The four dead metrics that hopefully will get enabled once the developer gets the codes is : Engine Oil Temp, Air/Fuel Ratio, Fuel Rate, Litres Remaining.

red99td5

Mine was some genric thing from Kogan (no longer on sale i dont think) ... any of the ELM327 wifi dongles will work i believe...
I read that for apple devices you are better off getting one that uses bluetooth, the one i linked to above uses some low energy bluetooth format and automatically connects to your apple device.

darb

I read that for apple devices you are better off getting one that uses bluetooth, the one i linked to above uses some low energy bluetooth format and automatically connects to your apple device.
mine's wifi and auto connects? though I will say, it's UNSECURED wifi ... i can see my cars WIFI in the parking lot from my office or loungeroom lol ... bit of a worry, anyone could in theory tap into it and scramble your ECU if they knew how. Bluetooth would probably get around that as you need to hit a pair button or pair code? or is it un-secured too?

Apart from being a nerd and loving to tinker ... i mainly did it as i wanted to chase the AT temps (sand work / towing / long hauls).

hiluxdriver

Does the app run in the background whilst you're looking at a map page? Reason I ask is lets say the trans temp skyrockets but you don't know because a map page is on screen.

darb

hilux : very good question, i'm not sure, i havent used it in anger yet.

I mostly use ipad for mapping in MotionX ... so i will be torn between wanting to view motion-X and the OBD data.

I'll give it a try on way home.
Worst case if it does disconnect when you change apps, it will reconnect very quickly ... but yes, if it's not on screen then not going to know...

red99td5

That's why I'm running the obd stuff on the phone, and the mapping on the iPad. I got it to monitor engine temps, I have a manual so no issues with transmission temps.

darb

Yeah I've got two other sat navs too lol. Overkill. I'll be happy alternating.

Have never had an issue with the tranny it's been smashed up hundreds of beaches on 45c days in thick boggy low range sand for hours on end without issue. Bulletproof the A750!

But still like to monitor stuff !